• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2016 Am Worlds - Madison, Wi

Considering this is a "World Championship" major, the fact that there is a large number of men registered in MA1 that doubtfully even play in the advanced division (rated under 900!), while others didn't get in all because of the ridiculous registration, shows me how much of a joke Am Worlds is. The free-for-all registration process is a joke. If they want smaller fields, they need to fix this or change the name because this is a step backwards. :clap:

The PDGA doesn't treat it as a World Championship, yes I know that's what they call it, but the organizing documents make it clear, it's a casual affair more like a family get together. We all know that isn't how it's treated, and that it is the biggest Am event, but the PDGA has that P for a reason. They stay out of the Am side. If players want a change, they need to go to the PDGA with a proposal. "We want a merit based Championship!" My experience with the PDGA is that they listen. They might decide, similar to the College World Championships, that it isn't their gig, but that won't mean they won't support someone else doing it.

I'm looking for a doubles partner for the Mixed Dubs.

This is been harder than I imagined.

Mixed Dubs: Plays the Saturday before the event.

They need to have some sort of pairing process setup for those of us that don't have easy access to the information required to find a partner.

Here's the steps:
1) Qualify for Tourney
2) Browse list of those who did and try to find the name of any opposite sex (in my case; females) that have qualified.
3) From said list; attempt to contact potential partners.
4) After registration is done; then cut down list and continue to figure out who to contact and how to make contact with them.

I feel like I need to be a 1000 rated stalker to find them.

It's crazy and takes quite a bit of time on a daily basis.

Organize Am Women by rating and States near Wisconsin. Send a PM on FB. I've had luck getting in touch with people this way in the past.

I wonder if a lottery would be effective and perceived as fair?

Earn points and qualify as you do now.

There would be a week-long sign up period for all who would want to go.

After the week, choose participants at random. The number of chances increases with the number of points a player earned.

Perhaps your chances would be proportional to points divided by minimum, so Scott would have had 4 times as big a chance to get picked as someone who got the minimum 750.

No. There are 2 types of fair. Random Fair, and earned Fair. In one case everyone is equal. In the other people are not. I think a lottery would not be the best solution. That makes the event even more silly. Top point earners, past attenders, and rating should be selectors. Points I would vote against. Many top tier Women play open women because of low participation in their region. They wouldnt gain points. Same with your top 10% of ams. They play mostly open events locally. Someone that plays 30 local C tiers wouldnt get as many points as someone playing Bowling Green. I personally think points are worthless. or should only barely be considered. Using points, would drive a player to play more Am events that they might not want to play. Unless the PDGA allowed you to transfer Pro points into Am if you stay Am...

If the PDGA doesnt care about world championships, why do they devote whole magazine issues to its winners and to the courses leading up to the event.

You do realize this is an AMATUER tournament right? And that no one in their sane mind would consider it the best in the world playing for a world title, regardless of how the field is set?

I think a lot of people Need to come to grips with the difference between pro world's and am worlds.

I think this is a silly statement. tons of people if not a majority of people, for years, have considered this a World Championship, just amateur. I guess they are all not sane, just because you disagree?

Who cares what it is considered. It is the biggest and most prepared for Am event in the world every year... ok well this year BG is bigger. It attracts the best players yet to accept cash, in the world. It should be run and set up and governed by the PDGA accordingly. If the PDGA is going to half ass this stuff then stop taking money from the majority of players (Am) that make up its organization, stop promoting it as a World Championship. If they are going to continue to take money AND take money per player that plays in a PDGA event, they need to respect and represent Ams.

I think this is a silly statement. tons of people if not a majority of people, for years, have considered this a World Championship, just amateur. I guess they are all not sane, just because you disagree?

Who cares what it is considered. It is the biggest and most prepared for Am event in the world every year... ok well this year BG is bigger. It attracts the best players yet to accept cash, in the world. It should be run and set up and governed by the PDGA accordingly. If the PDGA is going to half ass this stuff then stop taking money from the majority of players (Am) that make up its organization, stop promoting it as a World Championship. If they are going to continue to take money AND take money per player that plays in a PDGA event, they need to respect and represent Ams.

Because, yet again, the PDGA has a written mission statement for Am Worlds, and one for Pro Worlds and they are very different. The reason they do that is that their membership, made up mostly of Ams, wants it that way. They've been given a clear message, "we are interested in the Pro game and it's development." They've covered this in surveys, at least two that I recall. It turns out that a significant majority of Ams, perhaps delusionally, thinks they are going to be Pros, and thus vote for an emphasis there. That means the PDGA focus is on the Pro game, and that is where they spend their time. When Ams ask for a change, in mass, I promise the PDGA will consider that. They may not change their Pro focus but they will support some sort of merit based Am Championships if they are asked to do it.

I'm reading lots of complaints, but I don't actually see any real action. Try Survey Monkey. I would consider writing a letter to the PDGA asking them to revisit the notion with the membership. You could even ask them if they would support you in setting up a Survey Monkey questionaire.

No one thinks it's a bad idea, but complaining about it here isn't going to do much. When I was more involved, one of the things I recommended is that the leadership not read message boards or make decisions based on them. It's a disaster. To get what you want, something I would say sounds like a good idea, you need to approach them in a professional polite way. The polite I recommend simply because as a manager myself, non-polite demands are non-starters for every manager I've ever met, including myself. Set it up, and I will sign it myself.

Like I said, it is a joke. If the PDGA doesn't care about the ams or having a competitive am world championship, they should drop it to an a or b tier and call it the ams fun week or something.

Aww shoot. It happened again.

I got this really cool email notice from the DGCR website that there is a new post on the 2016 Am Worlds thread. I am pumped about going this year and anxious to know more about the upcoming event. But, aww shoot. Just more blather. I am such a thread purist. Woe is me.

Ron

Aww shoot. It happened again.

I got this really cool email notice from the DGCR website that there is a new post on the 2016 Am Worlds thread. I am pumped about going this year and anxious to know more about the upcoming event. But, aww shoot. Just more blather. I am such a thread purist. Woe is me.

Ron

Yup.

Considering this is a "World Championship" major, the fact that there is a large number of men registered in MA1 that doubtfully even play in the advanced division (rated under 900!), while others didn't get in all because of the ridiculous registration, shows me how much of a joke Am Worlds is. The free-for-all registration process is a joke. If they want smaller fields, they need to fix this or change the name because this is a step backwards. :clap:

If you think it's a joke, I see two options -- 1) no need to participate if you don't like what the PDGA (our organization) does; or, 2) as I learned when I was a kid, "get out there, get motivated, and do better yourself." The PDGA Am members don't seem to be complaining in the majority.

I think it is ... short sighted ... to assume things like this. As a very poor tangential example. We all know all the ins and outs of our disc golf community. The Charlotte disc golf club built a ton of courses and maintains them all. More than half the people I meet on a course have NO IDEA the Charlotte disc golf club exists. Our name is on all the kiosks, tee signs, flyers, everywhere. These people have NO idea. I consider my self relatively in the know. I have no idea about sites crashing on Thursday nights, whatever that means. We can debate the definition of fair or my proper use of the word, but the perception is (not my opinion) 1. It feels that the PDGA just cares about the advanced men divisions. 2. Conclusions are being drawn that either Madison is not capable of running a larger event or the PDGA is settling for venues because there are not people bidding or bid sites are woefully lacking. If Bowling Green can handle 800+ players... and a once in a decade event like Am Worlds cannot... doesnt seem right

...If for example the best proven Am world players in the world worked 3rd shift or were on call, or in an emergency (maybe wife giving birth) they would have had no opportunity to register. That is not fair...what is fair is that the best players in all divisions have an opportunity, because the earned it, to have a reasonable amount of time to sign up. they put int the work throughout the year. Your entry into WORLDS, shouldn't solely be reliant on your mouse or internet connection speed or your ability to code a computer to autofill fields.

So you didn't try to sign up the first day that Am Worlds registration was open and DiscGolf Scene crashed and the PDGA had to reschedule? Seems strange for a guy who purports to know how things should be. And that "perception" you're speaking of is coming from a specific group of players. Go out and ask a whole bunch of PDGA members who play mostly MA2 and MA3 at tournaments what they think. (And don't say they don't get a vote -- they pay dues just like every other Am)

No one is drawing a conclusion that Madison can't handle a larger event. What we're saying is they bid it at 576, and there is no compelling reason (no not even demand) for them to be required to go beyond that. I work in a world with competitive bidding all the time … getting the bid is a contract – binding on both the bidder and the requestor. It's a way to be sure all communication is right and works well. And I also see you finally decided what was "fair" to you -- the "best players" get preferential treatment over all the other Ams, even though "all those others" are the majority.

I had no idea about the smaller field size...nor did I have any idea about the field sizes of any other world championships I played in. Just just signed up the day I was supposed to. (I knew about Charlotte because I was part of the meetings)

There are 2 issues.
Limited field size makes competition worse for determining the divisional champions it would have been WAY better to only have 144 advanced men, then spread out those spots to other divisions. Make it hard to qualify for Advanced Men division...or Advanced Masters.
Registration for a World Championships should, at first, be selective to weed out non-deserving players.

Really??? So one of the things you're complaining about is you not reading your invite???? It was right there in black and white.

And who in your mind is "non-deserving" ??? That statement sounds very elitist and self-serving for you to say that about a member-driven organization.

Agreed in full! Imagine being the highest rated person in your age/status group in the world, coming in second last year by 1 stroke, and not typing particularly fast...so not being able to play this year. It's somewhat akin to Federer losing to Djokovic at Wimbledon 2015, Federer not typing quickly, so someone says "Oh, sorry Roger, you're not able to play Wimbledon this year".
Some things are just wrong....like the 2 scenarios above.

Karl

Seriously – comparing a professional sport with money, qualifying rules, drug-testing, etc, to an Am niche activity??? … not close to apples/apples. Of course Federer with his ranking and continued play gets an invite. But if he takes two years off and doesn't play, yes, even the most accomplished tennis player in history would have to play in a qualifying event to get in.

No. There are 2 types of fair. Random Fair, and earned Fair. In one case everyone is equal. In the other people are not. I think a lottery would not be the best solution. That makes the event even more silly. Top point earners, past attenders, and rating should be selectors. Points I would vote against. Many top tier Women play open women because of low participation in their region. They wouldnt gain points. Same with your top 10% of ams. They play mostly open events locally. Someone that plays 30 local C tiers wouldnt get as many points as someone playing Bowling Green. I personally think points are worthless. or should only barely be considered. Using points, would drive a player to play more Am events that they might not want to play. Unless the PDGA allowed you to transfer Pro points into Am if you stay Am...

If the PDGA doesnt care about world championships, why do they devote whole magazine issues to its winners and to the courses leading up to the event.

So, this rant has no real "solution", even though there's not agreement there's a "problem" (for the majority).

Like I said, it is a joke. If the PDGA doesn't care about the ams or having a competitive am world championship, they should drop it to an a or b tier and call it the ams fun week or something.

The PDGA does care about the Ams. The PDGA is doing it the way the majority of Ams want it.

Because, yet again, the PDGA has a written mission statement for Am Worlds, and one for Pro Worlds and they are very different. The reason they do that is that their membership, made up mostly of Ams, wants it that way. They've been given a clear message, "we are interested in the Pro game and it's development." They've covered this in surveys, at least two that I recall. It turns out that a significant majority of Ams, perhaps delusionally, thinks they are going to be Pros, and thus vote for an emphasis there. That means the PDGA focus is on the Pro game, and that is where they spend their time. When Ams ask for a change, in mass, I promise the PDGA will consider that. They may not change their Pro focus but they will support some sort of merit based Am Championships if they are asked to do it.

I'm reading lots of complaints, but I don't actually see any real action. Try Survey Monkey. I would consider writing a letter to the PDGA asking them to revisit the notion with the membership. You could even ask them if they would support you in setting up a Survey Monkey questionaire.

No one thinks it's a bad idea, but complaining about it here isn't going to do much. When I was more involved, one of the things I recommended is that the leadership not read message boards or make decisions based on them. It's a disaster. To get what you want, something I would say sounds like a good idea, you need to approach them in a professional polite way. The polite I recommend simply because as a manager myself, non-polite demands are non-starters for every manager I've ever met, including myself. Set it up, and I will sign it myself.

Here, here, Lyle … but I want to call you out on one thing. Everyone who is a PDGA member, who wants to argue for/against/on the way the Worlds registration is, needs to quit saying "they" about the PDGA. The PDGA is a member-driven organization; it is "US", not some nebulous "they." "You" individually may not like the current system, but isn't it the leaders' responsibility to do it how the majority of members want it? You guys think it should be one way, but I doubt (I mean, seriously doubt) that the majority of the Am members want it changed to favor those with higher ratings. Basically because they'd be voting themselves out of the chance. The PDGA has done surveys like Lyle is saying – the current system, while not perfect, is closer to what the majority of Am members want.

The PDGA does care about the Ams. The PDGA is doing it the way the majority of Ams want it.

I neither agree or disagree with this statement. Im more curious if you have a source for this claim?

So I plan on coming down to practice on the first Monday. Any other MM1's wanna throw somewhere that day??

I agree with needing to have 750 points, even though one big tournament can net you those points, I think it's a fair amount needed to register.

Where I don't agree is the free for all for people to register as long as they have 750 points... at least for Advanced. Out of the 216 registered participants in Advanced, only 69 of them are rated 935 or higher. That's 32%... less than 1 in 3!

It seems like it would make a lot more sense to do the registration like the Disc Golf World Tour did. Allow players rated 960 and above to register first over the course of a week. Then let players rated 950 and above to register for a week. And so on.

Doing it that way allows for a fair chance for the MOST qualified individuals to register first so their competitive spot doesn't get burned up by the 54 sub 900 players that are registered for this event. I just don't understand how anyone can think someone with a recreational level player rating has the same right to register for the tournament over someone who actually is a competitive amateur.

I personally think the PDGA needs to set a registration threshold that allows the most competitive Ams to compete if they want to without having to fight a person with a player rating 100 points lower than them for a spot. I'm sure there are A LOT of higher qualified Ams that got bumped out of the tournament in the registration process by recreational level players.

Playing in the tournament should be a privilege based on a combination of points and player rating instead of a right just because you played BG ams and beat a lot of 860 rated players.

Anyway...

The majority of AM's like the way it is because they don't have a chance at winning AM World's.

They just want to go for the experience and for a lot of them, bragging rights.

The people that usually feel slighted are more advanced players who might actually have a shot at doing well.

I think the argument is fair, that if it is to be a true AM Championship, then the best AM's should be guaranteed a spot as long as they fulfill the requirements.

Dang it Alfred. Quit poking them with a stick. There were almost asleep.

Ron

Sorry, Ron. I'm just struggling with people on this site saying Ams who work their asses off for disc golf locally are less deserving of a spot at Am Worlds than the dh who has a 960 rating, and letting that statement just stand. And they're saying it as if it were a given not just for what they think, but for the majority of the membership -- a membership of which the largest two groups are MA2 tournament players and non-tournament players.

I neither agree or disagree with this statement. Im more curious if you have a source for this claim?

Well, my original source was PDGA officers. I think that back in Minnesota I heard that from Rebecca Duffy. I'd have to email someone on the Board to find out when the results of their last survey came out. I think the most recent survey of membership was in 2013.

The majority of AM's like the way it is because they don't have a chance at winning AM World's.

They just want to go for the experience and for a lot of them, bragging rights.

The people that usually feel slighted are more advanced players who might actually have a shot at doing well.

I think the argument is fair, that if it is to be a true AM Championship, then the best AM's should be guaranteed a spot as long as they fulfill the requirements.

The majority of Ams like it the way it is -- it's pretty much common knowledge for those who've been around the PDGA any length of time. Our president is a weekend warrior Am -- not one who'll be competing for a championship. I'm sure if that wasn't true, she'd be one of the first to press for change. Whether or not the reason they do is because they don't have a chance at winning is another question altogether. Consider this -- why did 845 Ams show up for the GBO, and 830 show up for BG Ams? Because they wanted the experience of playing or because they thought they could win?

best AM's == defined as how??? Those who put in the most work locally? Those who represent the sport with great sportsmanship, valor, and class? Or just, those who get the highest rating?

The number of people who don't understand the dichotomy between using the words "best" and "amateurs" in the same sentence is bizarre.

So for a world championship, a guy rated 800 that will shoot +30 deserves a spot over a guy rated 960 because he put in work locally?

It makes sense now when you combine the fact that you said the majority of ams want it this way + the biggest group of am members are MA2.

I'd like to see how they came to this conclusion because I've never been asked how I think it "should" be. I haven't heard of one am player discussing how it should be until this years ball drop. Did the pdga send the ams a survey, because if they did I missed that one.

Araytx is correct. Ams voted in surveys on where they wanted the PDGA focus to be. Now, to my recollection, we didn't say we didn't want the am championships to not be merit based. But, if you apply some logic, why? The PDGA has a top level merit based championship. What is being asked here is that they build a second tier merit based championships. That raises certain issues and potential conflicts and might directly or indirectly compete with the pro game. Back to the PDGA mission, support the pro game, not build a competing event.

It's simple enough, if someone wants to compete in a merit based worlds, they need to go pro. Unless the supposition is that the PDGA is obliged to create a lower tier, semi merit based event for those who aren't good enough for the merit based gig?

Not to be repetitive, but anyone can ask the PDGA to consider a change, or do something on their own. As araytx points out, we are the PDGA.

Hey araytx, do you play the doubles championships? Hope to be looking for a partner next year. I figure between us, even if we lose, we'll make them wish we had won. :)

If the best competition is what your interested in and concerned about why not qualify and try to get into the usadgc?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

So for a world championship, a guy rated 800 that will shoot +30 deserves a spot over a guy rated 960 because he put in work locally?

It makes sense now when you combine the fact that you said the majority of ams want it this way + the biggest group of am members are MA2.

I'd like to see how they came to this conclusion because I've never been asked how I think it "should" be. I haven't heard of one am player discussing how it should be until this years ball drop. Did the pdga send the ams a survey, because if they did I missed that one.

To answer the first question, if the 960-rated guy is a dh like I said -- then, yes! absolutely! The 800-rated guy contributing to Amateur disc golf all year long deserves, in my mind, to go as much as, if not more than Mr. dh.

On the surveys, I'm not for sure but the last survey was in either 2013 or the year before. I know they do happen.

Consider this:
I live in Texas and for high school sports we have a governing organization, the UIL, which is made up of member schools. They pay dues and we have a staff in Austin who handle all the administrative pieces of running sports competitions throughout the state.

Over the years, the number of playoff teams in high school football has migrated from just the one district champion, to two separate divisions based on enrollment and three essentially "wild-card" teams per district, for a total of 4 playoff teams per district. About four years ago, there was a push to change the rules allow the district champion to host the first round game at home, instead of the schools always having to try and find a neutral site. Some schools said that winning district had been diminished over the years and the champion should have at least some reward. Several superintendents/coaches proposed it to the state governing committee and after much discussion the committee asked for a survey of the schools. I wasn't in favor of the survey because I knew how it would turn out ...

Think about it. I said the survey is gonna be about 20% in favor and about 80% against. Why? the schools that perennially compete for the district championship are gonna vote yes ... and the rest are gonna vote no, especially those schools who think they might make the playoffs some years and might not others. You only have 1 of 4 playoff teams who are gonna like that rule -- plus most of the teams who rarely make it are gonna vote no also, because they won't want to go on the road the once every blue moon that they make it. I hear that people are thinking only the highest-rated players should get in to Am Worlds (and you can't say anything else ... if this year's demand proved anything, it proved that if MA1's rated 950 & above had first crack, they'd take all 216 spots and every other MA1 Am in the world would have ZERO chance. At least the way it is now, you have some chance.

By the way the survey came back about 21.4% in favor, 78.6% against.