• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2016 Am worlds courses

Oldstump

2016 am Worlds are scheduled to be held in the Madison Wisconsin area next year. Any Madisonites have an idea which course are planned for use? Which courses near Madison may be called into play?

Tournament Director here...

Ziggy is correct...

Elver
Hiestand
Token Creek
Capital Springs
Bird's Ruins at Langer Park in Marshall

Elver, Hiestand and Capital Springs are each 18 holes.

Token Creek is 27 holes.

Bird's Ruins is currently 18 holes, but we are in the process of adding 9 more.

So three 18s and two 27s...the equivalent of six 18s.

Asst. TD here ...

To add to Glide's post, some pools will likely play 27s (Vallarta-Ast / Token Creek and Bird's Ruins) on consecutive days, rather than 18-36 or 36-18, before or after the shuffle. The other three courses are in a fairly compact geographical area to each other which will help minimize travel times between rounds when playing two 18s in a day.

Cap Springs is going to be part of Am Worlds? For real?

Oh absolutely. It's a gem for juniors, ladies, and elder divisions. Not so much for MA1. I definitely could see some pucker factor with the prairie grass being declared o.b.

obviously has to be one.. 420 total?

Should be much more than that, although we won't have the capacity that Kalamazoo had this year. With six 18 hole courses, you can get eight pools of 72 for a total of 576 by using each course twice a day. Two 27s in place of three 18s could make it a bit more complicated, but we're working with the PDGA to get it all figured out. I'd like to see ~576, which would still be bigger than Emporia in 2013 and all of them from 2011 or earlier.

Oh absolutely. It's a gem for juniors, ladies, and elder divisions. Not so much for MA1. I definitely could see some pucker factor with the prairie grass being declared o.b.

It's not a super-gold course by any means, but it should work just fine for Ams. Yes, for Advanced, it will likely be their lowest score. At last year's MCO, three of the top 25 in this year's Am Worlds (plus second place in <=16) played it, including one of the final four (Gavin), plus a final four member from 2014 AM Worlds (Jordan). They had 48, 49, 49, 51 & 51. SSA was just under 47, as one of our DGCR friends shot 47 for a 995 rating on his way to victory in Advanced. The course played with almost no O.B., which may change for Am Worlds.

Capital Springs is a gorgeous course. It has two sets of tee pads and three basket locations on every hole so we have a lot of flexibility in how easy or difficult it plays. Most of the holes are wide open. However, there are several very nice wooded holes. There would have been more, but American Indian effigy mounds were discovered while the parks department was working on the course. The course has a lot of elevation changes and a well done island hole

Keep in mind that no division will play every course. The highest rated divisions like Advanced will probably play the more challenging courses like Bird's Ruins, Token Creek, Hiestand and/or Elver.

The lower rated will probably play Capital Springs, Elver, Hiestand and/or Token Creek. If I was in one of the lower rated divisions, I would have more fun at Cap Springs than Bird's Ruins.

Collectively, I think that we have a great group of courses for this event.

Any idea of when in July or is that still being finalized? I already have to start planning for next year due to upcoming projects.

upcoming tournaments

I'd like to keep an eye on these courses and possibly road trip to tournaments there. What is the best online venue for tracking tournament dates in Wisconsin. Is Disc Golf Scene used?

Any of these courses have massive uphill walks, like the ski slope from this years event? I just don't see the point of playing a ski slope course at an event like this. I know a guy who was his sons caddy for the final9 there, and he said they were wiped out after only 9holes.

I'd like to keep an eye on these courses and possibly road trip to tournaments there. What is the best online venue for tracking tournament dates in Wisconsin. Is Disc Golf Scene used?

The Wisconsin scene is quite busy with the Wisconsin Disc Golf Tour and many other events.
The most complete schedule can usually be found at www.widiscsports.com.

Capital Springs is a gorgeous course. It has two sets of tee pads and three basket locations on every hole so we have a lot of flexibility in how easy or difficult it plays. Most of the holes are wide open. However, there are several very nice wooded holes. There would have been more, but American Indian effigy mounds were discovered while the parks department was working on the course. The course has a lot of elevation changes and a well done island hole

Keep in mind that no division will play every course. The highest rated divisions like Advanced will probably play the more challenging courses like Bird's Ruins, Token Creek, Hiestand and/or Elver.

The lower rated will probably play Capital Springs, Elver, Hiestand and/or Token Creek. If I was in one of the lower rated divisions, I would have more fun at Cap Springs than Bird's Ruins.

Collectively, I think that we have a great group of courses for this event.

I understand how tournaments work, and I get that Cap could be used for the elderly and juniors. Also, the background of why it's not a better course is pretty much irrelevant in this conversation. Changing the teepad or pin position on an open hole still makes it an open hole.

With that said, I'M a lower rated player, and if I had to choose, I'd play Birds over Cap 100 times out of 100.

I also get (after some thought) that there's probably not a better option to replace Cap for the event, which is kind of a bummer.

Any of these courses have massive uphill walks, like the ski slope from this years event? I just don't see the point of playing a ski slope course at an event like this. I know a guy who was his sons caddy for the final9 there, and he said they were wiped out after only 9holes.

Of the proposed courses, Elver has the largest total elevation change, of a little over 100 feet. Holes 1-3 work up the hill, you play on top and down the backside a little (~50 feet back down), work back up to thew top, and then throw down most of that 100' on #18. The biggest issue is probably if you have a shotgun start and get #10-12, with the longest walk up and over the hill at the beginning and end of the round.

With the exception of Vallarta-Ast at Token Creek, all of the courses have some rolling terrain, but nothing extreme. The aforementioned #18 at Elver has the biggest single change. #3 at Hiestand is next with a 40-50', all of which is right off the tee, while #17 at Hiestand goes up 30-40'. Hiestand overall has close to 100' in elevation change, but it is generally a gradual hike up and down "Radar Hill". Bird's Ruins is limited to under 50' overall, but there is a series of short holes in the woods that go up and down ~30'. Cap Springs has maybe 50' of total elevation change, but a dozen or so holes play up or down at least 15' or so, with eight of those having a 20-30'+ change. Cap Springs is also the most exposed to the wind. Token Creek probably has less than 25' of elevation change over the entire course.

The overall mix of courses is nice. Elver and Hiestand have a lot of woods with rolling terrain. Cap Springs is more open, but again, rolling terain and exposed to the wind. Bird's Ruins has some really tight wooded shots, but also some exposed prairie holes with the most brutal rough in the area. V-A at Token Creek is the "country club" course ... manicured parkland with tree-lined fairways, although the "new" nine (19-27) is longer and more open. There aren't any true par 5s, and not a lot of true "two-shot" par 4s for the blue-level player (Bird's and V-A have a handful each). But we think it will be a fun and fair test of golf.

I understand how tournaments work, and I get that Cap could be used for the elderly and juniors. Also, the background of why it's not a better course is pretty much irrelevant in this conversation. Changing the teepad or pin position on an open hole still makes it an open hole.

With that said, I'M a lower rated player, and if I had to choose, I'd play Birds over Cap 100 times out of 100.

I also get (after some thought) that there's probably not a better option to replace Cap for the event, which is kind of a bummer.

I've talked to numerous people who have asked why there aren't more holes in the woods so it is relevant. It helps explain the course design.

Using different tee pads and different basket locations can significantly affect the scoring distribution on a hole. It still might be an open hole, but there is a difference between 80% of players getting a three versus a third getting a two...a third getting a three and a third getting a four.

You are a lower rated player who would prefer to challenge himself on the more challenging of two courses. To each his own.

Thanks so much for your constructive criticism. It's greatly appreciated!!!