• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2016 Am Worlds - Madison, Wi

If they wanted to limit ma1 invites....then they shouldn't allow points earned in novice, rec and intermediate divisions to count for ma1....or did they change that too?

Nope, that's the same.

It would be easier to just up the points requirement.

Nope, that's the same.

It would be easier to just up the points requirement.

That would make it harder for those rated just above 935 to gain points considering they are on the low end of am 1 and can't play any other division. Raising point requirements may be a quick fix, but I have a feeling no matter what they do there will be complaints.

Overall though, they should just set the requirements and make it clear so everybody understands moving forward.

That would make it harder for those rated just above 935 to gain points considering they are on the low end of am 1 and can't play any other division. Raising point requirements may be a quick fix, but I have a feeling no matter what they do there will be complaints.

Overall though, they should just set the requirements and make it clear so everybody understands moving forward.

Fair enough. I agree...clarity in the rules would be best.

If they wanted to limit ma1 invites....then they shouldn't allow points earned in novice, rec and intermediate divisions to count for ma1....or did they change that too?

Actually it appears as though those rec & intermediate points do count toward MA1 IF MA1 is your home division. If you are age-protected either 40+ (this year) or under 18, it looks like they don't count toward the MA1 invite. So it's tricky to understand.

Actually it appears as though those rec & intermediate points do count toward MA1 IF MA1 is your home division. If you are age-protected either 40+ (this year) or under 18, it looks like they don't count toward the MA1 invite. So it's tricky to understand.

Yes. That's been explained about a dozen times in this thread.

Well, this has been pretty well hashed through. Stardoggy may or may not get into MA1 when registration opens. In either case, I predict he'll have a fine time playing the tournament.

Well, this has been pretty well hashed through. Stardoggy may or may not get into MA1 when registration opens. In either case, I predict he'll have a fine time playing the tournament.

I don't doubt that at all. I will make the best of it, to be sure. After my initial unhappiness, I've now retreated to my typical state of utopian bliss, and plan to stay there through the warm months.

The overall event capacity of 576 is very close to the average total number of players in the last 10 Am Worlds (579). There were many options explored to expand the capacity (using courses that were further away, using tee times and/or filling all 27 holes on shotgun starts, etc), but all had significant drawbacks. We'd rather put on a great event for 576 than a pretty good one for 612, 648, etc. The schedule works out very nicely at 576. Every course gets used twice a day, everyone (except the Legends and youngest juniors) plays every course once, and everyone plays Cap Springs / Hiestand as their one day of 36 (those courses are ~8 miles and 10-15 minutes apart, and Hiestand is close to the host hotel). The 27-hole rounds will only have up to 18 foursomes on the course, so we can spread out a bit to improve pace of play.

One of the other reasons that some divisions are smaller than average is because we also have to accommodate new age-restricted divisions that didn't exist or weren't offered last year (FJ5, FJ6, FL1, MJ5, MJ6) or were added in the last handful of years (FS1, ML1). If some of those aren't filling, then some spots may be added to other divisions. MA1 is pretty much locked in at 216, while MS1 and MJ1 will combine for 72 (36 of each to start). The schedule is set up so that all of the other Juniors, the Legends, the Women, and Men's Masters / GMs are on one half of the draw so to speak, so we could move things around if needed based on registration numbers. However, we do expect this to fill up in a hurry!

I"m not complaining or even seeking reasons why... just pointing out to everyone that the field in much more limited that in recent years. The 10-year average is a terrible measure with the sport exploding.

70 fewer spots in the two divisions (MM1/MG1) that will fill the fastest with folks who gernally have the $$ ready to go at midnight on the deadline will be interesting. I suspect the PDGA will move to split off the age protected divisions in the coming years... but for now, set your arlarm!

I"m not complaining or even seeking reasons why... just pointing out to everyone that the field in much more limited that in recent years. The 10-year average is a terrible measure with the sport exploding.

70 fewer spots in the two divisions (MM1/MG1) that will fill the fastest with folks who gernally have the $$ ready to go at midnight on the deadline will be interesting. I suspect the PDGA will move to split off the age protected divisions in the coming years... but for now, set your arlarm!

No worries. I didn't even really read your comments as complaining. I expect similar comments and questions and figured it was a good time to offer some answers, now that the schedule and division sizes are out there.

The five-year averages for MM1 and MG1 are 88 and 87 respectively, so we're down about 16 per division from those. MA1 would also be down about a half-pool (five-year average of 251). Essentially, we're down a half-pool from the five-year average of 610 total players, and the other half-pool is redistributed to the women and juniors where new divisions have been added.

As evidenced by the upcoming split of Pro Worlds, there certainly has been discussion of how to handle the growth. My personal opinion was that if they were going to add a third Worlds, that it should be for both Pro and Am Masters and older. I'm guessing the PDGA will see how many Pros they get for Pro Masters Worlds in 2017 before they decide how if and how to split off some of the Ams.

FYI, the information on how to reserve rooms at the block rate for Am Worlds at the host hotel (Crowne Plaza) was not included in the invite package, but was just posted by the PDGA
http://www.pdga.com/announcements/2016-am-worlds-host-hotel-discount-info

The Crowne Plaza is the location for player check-in and the flymart, and is within walking distance of the field events. It has a pool, onsite restaurant, free airport shuttle, free wifi, and is within blocks of dozens of restaurants surrounding East Towne Mall. It's also a great location to be able to get to any of the five courses in less than 30 minutes. Even on the day you will play 36 (Hiestand and Cap Springs), you should have time to go back to the hotel between rounds for food, change of clothes, etc, as Hiestand is 3 miles / less than 10 minutes away.

Please help the event and consider staying at the Crowne Plaza. $99/night plus taxes and fees for a room with two doubles (max occupancy of four).

For those considering a trip to town for practice, all of the courses that will be used for Am Worlds are now open for the season. However, the new holes at Bird's Ruin are not yet open ... just the original 19. Hopefully those additional holes will also open soon.

Reminder, divisional registration opens for invitees at midnight EDT this Friday ... 11 PM Thursday night local (CDT). There are 28 international players registered so far.

Only because it never applied to me before, but I need to ask about the Master's division. What is the likely cap or attendance in this field? How is Saturday handled? Is there a cut? Do they play into Saturday? I think I read somewhere, maybe even here, that Masters will play the same courses and length as Advanced. If I travel, I want to play the courses in their full glory. If Masters play shortened courses or from the shorts, I will definitely sign up for advanced.

I have the arm, distance, energy, and ability to hang well in advanced, but it might be fun and interesting to play this big of a tournament with more seasoned players.

Only because it never applied to me before, but I need to ask about the Master's division. What is the likely cap or attendance in this field? How is Saturday handled? Is there a cut? Do they play into Saturday? I think I read somewhere, maybe even here, that Masters will play the same courses and length as Advanced. If I travel, I want to play the courses in their full glory. If Masters play shortened courses or from the shorts, I will definitely sign up for advanced.

I have the arm, distance, energy, and ability to hang well in advanced, but it might be fun and interesting to play this big of a tournament with more seasoned players.

I believe the field in MM1 is going to be 76, or something close to that. I'll be on there at 11pm sharp to register.

I believe the field in MM1 is going to be 76, or something close to that. I'll be on there at 11pm sharp to register.

Which leads into my second question, does anyone know if and, if so, what format Masters will play into Saturday? I have a group of friends heading to Highbridge on Friday. Regardless of what division I play, if I am not playing into Saturday, then I could possibly join them that Friday night. However, I would love the opportunity to play into Saturday, and if Advanced has the possibility and Masters does not, I will likely sign up for Advanced. If I do make the cut and or play into Saturday, then likely I will not make the trip to Highbridge. Technically it is a win-win either way.

Which leads into my second question, does anyone know if and, if so, what format Masters will play into Saturday? I have a group of friends heading to Highbridge on Friday. Regardless of what division I play, if I am not playing into Saturday, then I could possibly join them that Friday night. However, I would love the opportunity to play into Saturday, and if Advanced has the possibility and Masters does not, I will likely sign up for Advanced. If I do make the cut and or play into Saturday, then likely I will not make the trip to Highbridge. Technically it is a win-win either way.

According to the schedule all divisions with more than 16 players will have a cut to the semis with 4 going to the finals. Masters has an 18 hole semi final round scheduled for saturday

I don't see any value in comparing things to 5 years ago....everything has changed drastically since then...I remember am worlds in Rochester NY in 2011...they were literally begging people to sign up the week before the event bc it wasn't close to selling out...how does that in anyway reflect am worlds and the pdga now?

Latest posts