• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2016 Am Worlds - Madison, Wi

The decision for using the shorter layout at Bird's Ruins was a combination of the host team wanting everyone to play all five courses and the PDGA course assessors (Shawn and me) feeling there were way too many blind holes from the longs that would require guaranteed spotters, many Worlds players don't or can't take the time to even walk nor practice the courses in advance which would lead to excessively long 27-hole rounds with clueless players wandering down fairways to figure out where to aim their throws having not practiced their range. As it was, some groups still took almost 6 hours to play the shorter layout. I think we might have been persuaded to do more or all of the longs for some divisions at Bird's Ruins if everyone just played an 18-hole layout.

I think the host team walked a nice line with their choices for the final layout used, being reasonably challenging and playable for the wide range of ages and skills at an Am Worlds.

All to often it seems that players assume that decisions on structure and events are based on random factors or have no planning at all. I wish there was a better way to get them to understand the process and everything that goes into making decisions on events, structure etc. Thanks Chuck.

Hey folks, doing a little research, anyone able to answer these questions...

How many minutes did it take for MM1 to fill? I was first on the wait list/#73 by 12:06am, guessing it took under 5 minutes.

Was it the fastest division to fill?

How long was the MM1 wait list? How many made it off the wait list?

Thanks!

Hey folks, doing a little research, anyone able to answer these questions...

How many minutes did it take for MM1 to fill? I was first on the wait list/#73 by 12:06am, guessing it took under 5 minutes.

Was it the fastest division to fill?

How long was the MM1 wait list? How many made it off the wait list?

Thanks!

From my end I noted that MM1 and MG1 filled in just under 9 minutes. It took MS1 a bit over 11. I will be just fine if someone else says different. Just the way I am.

Ron

Remember - Registration opened earlier for the Non-US players. Europe, Canada, etc players got to register prior to the overload that we experienced in the US.

Friday, April 15 – Registration opens for two weeks to International (Non-North American) Invitees ONLY for the reserved International spots (approx. 8-10%) in the division(s) for which they were invited.

Friday, April 29 – Registration opens for one week to Canadian Invitees ONLY for reserved Canadian spots (approx. 1-2%) and any leftover International spots in the division(s) for which they were invited.

Friday, May 6 – Registration opens for three weeks to all invitees only for the division(s) for which they were invited. If a division fills then a waitlist is started only for invitees of the division in the order they are received.

Here's the Invite Criteria that allowed him in.

International - all current International Amateur members (country other than USA or Canada) who completed a PDGA Tournament (not league) in either an Amateur or Professional divison during the 2015 tour year.

No points criteria, Registered as an Am and there was no checking.

As far as my personal opinion - You got screwed!

guy that had been winning pro pdga tourneys in europe won 2015 am worlds.

Last edited:

Jerry, regardless of the non-pdga member loop hole, the guy took cash at pdga events for 8 years, even won the German Open and got 2nd in the European Masters, both Pro Master PDGA events. How is that fair? We can take this conversation to pm, don't want to get this thread locked. I'll let everyone know what how the PDGA is going to handle this.

:hfive:

I really like the Madison courses, but I've played much better courses and even only a couple of hours away (uhh....Rollin Ridge, anyone?).

I think Elver is the best of the bunch, but I get the smack down put on me when I say it aloud because Hiestand is king of the hill in Madison.

The private course the ditch was the best of the bunch that I played while I was up there

Jerry, regardless of the non-pdga member loop hole, the guy took cash at pdga events for 8 years, even won the German Open and got 2nd in the European Masters, both Pro Master PDGA events. How is that fair? We can take this conversation to pm, don't want to get this thread locked. I'll let everyone know what how the PDGA is going to handle this.

First, I don't think this thread will get locked, no one is saying MK is right, MK is right! The difference is in what people think the PDGA can and should do. If the PDGA doesn't have a rule specifically prohibiting it, there isn't much they can do, like it or not. You can say they blew it in terms of their rules structure, and that would be true, but they clearly have an intent, and what MK did is clearly counter to that intent. Clearly, MK saw an opportunity and took it. Should he be ashamed? Most assuredly.

The argument that the PDGA should make something like this right seems good, but what that means is they should close the loophole this guy went through, and we should all expect that, and if we don't get it, we should complain. I'm very certain they will fix the loophole, if indeed there is one. The PDGA may have something written that says this taint allowed. However, organizations in general, when such things happen, are hard pressed to post-humously punish people who found they've made a mistake and taken advantage. The law (yes I know, the law doesn't much care about disc golf) typically sides with those who followed the rules and would point out, "you guys wrote the rule."

If I were you, I'd be hoping that there is a provision in the rules that prohibits what this guy did. We're rooting for that and for you, and you may end up having to be solid with the fact that we all think you won, and MK is a putzer.

Just as a curiosity, what motivates someone like this to do what MK did? Clearly, he almost got away with it, but you have to know that in a small community like this one, getting caught makes you a pariah. What's the value anyway? Did this guy need accolades to badly he's willing to hose another player? Bad juju man.

lyleross, I'm just hoping that the PDGA upholds their own true definition of an AM, and clearly MK was accepting cash for many years in PDGA events.

do we know if he accepted cash?... if he won and turned down the cash, he is still eligible.

Just as a curiosity, what motivates someone like this to do what MK did? Clearly, he almost got away with it, but you have to know that in a small community like this one, getting caught makes you a pariah. What's the value anyway? Did this guy need accolades to badly he's willing to hose another player? Bad juju man.

Maybe he just wanted to have a fun week traveling internationally to play some sweet disc golf? If the current rules allow him to play, which it sounds like they do (even if it's via a loophole), then too bad. He played, he won. End of story.

Most of the events show a cash amount across from his name. Normally, when you decline cash the $amount is zero'd out. Not to mention I was originally contacted by a guy that has played pro PDGA events with him since the 90's claiming he's been cashing for a decade.

Interesting point. I've seen pros turndown cash to maintain am status.

There's this local guy who hovers near a 1000 rating, but I don't think he's ever crossed the threshold. He has been "Pro" for a few years but has never accepted a dime. Coincidentally enough, I had heard was gonna refuse cash until he wins AM Worlds. At least that was what people were saying. Then he had a kid and doesn't play as much these days.

The private course the ditch was the best of the bunch that I played while I was up there

Shhhh. We mustn't speak of the ditch publicly, tis a holy land that is kept in secrecy. Glad you enjoyed it and I'm sure you want another crack at her. Hopefully we'll see you back next year!

Latest posts