• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2016 Glass Blown Open - April 28-30th - Emporia, KS

He was an 898 before the last update and signed up with that rating. Therefor he can still play rec for this tournament.

"If you have pre-registered, the TD may allow you to remain in that division as long as the event is within two weeks of the ratings posting date. "

He made it within the 2 week period.

At 42 years of age, Cam beat out the best putters, the longest throwers, etc, in the game today. Most half his age. To my eyes it looks like he did it with a solid overall game. His drives appeared to be around 375ft, but always in a position for an easy par or possible bird. His short game, especially his upshots were dead on. Granted if Paul & co had better control of those monster drives things would have ended up much differently, but Cam's 3 rounds (all over his rating) was some of the most overall impressive disc golf I have ever seen. Seemed like his mental game was in an ideal state of mind. When I met him in person at the NHM selling his artwork (wow..btw!!) he struck me as a very relaxed, calm dude and it showed on the course as well.

I see that he's no longer on the Grip website as one of their pros, and noticed that he was carrying the new Innova HeroPack for the last couple of tournaments. He was also carrying a HeroPack when we were down at the NCDGC in Augusta. For the GBO though he's got this new black bag. Looks like a Grip with an Innova patch sewn over the Grip logo. Clearly not a HeroPack. Anyone have any ideas? Innova coming out with a higher end bag in the near future?

It was dumping rain and the innova bag doesn't have a rainfly

Last two weeks it was right there for the taking and...nope. How many times did that happen last year?

Short events. Hard to get much separation with the top of the field in 3 rounds. More room for variance and one hot round to make a difference in a short event.

Being an "old" guy like Cam I can remember him winning the worlds beating climo. Unbelievable, then he kind of disappeared or maybe I just fell out of the loop as well.

Anybody know his story? Amazing that after all these years he is wins a big tour event. Reminds me of something you occasionally see in ball golf some guy that know one has heard of in years wins big. Persistence pays off in the end, Eh?

Being an "old" guy like Cam I can remember him winning the worlds beating climo. Unbelievable, then he kind of disappeared or maybe I just fell out of the loop as well.

Anybody know his story? Amazing that after all these years he is wins a big tour event. Reminds me of something you occasionally see in ball golf some guy that know one has heard of in years wins big. Persistence pays off in the end, Eh?
Cam had some temper issues when he was young and there was a big blow-up at the Hambrick one year. I want to say 2004 but I could be wrong on the date. Anyway, the PDGA message board was young, not well moderated and it was the wild west on character assassination and speculation on what happened. Cam got a suspension from the PDGA that covered the USDGC that was overturned somehow to say he had to donate his winnings from the USDGC to charity (still a big hit when you are trying to make a living playing disc golf.) I think he tied for 2nd. It seemed like the story was over, but I guess the experience soured Cam on disc golf and the PDGA and he quit. He showed up at GLO in 2005, then walked away. He didn't come back until the Fall of 2009. A lot changed between 2004-2009. He basically gave up five years in his prime.

Great to see him on the top of the leaderboard at such a big event, dude might not be the best putter right now but in his heyday I don't think anyone putted better.

PDGA.com says Cam Todd's last NT win was GLO in '04. 6/20/04 to 4/30/16, that's almost 12 years between NT wins. :eek:

I don't think anyone who played with or watched Cam play back in his prime is that shocked he could win now. He was the first? truly great putter, a guy like Paul or Ricky that was a danger from anywhere inside 80.

He definitely had some temper issues, and he wasn't the only one back then either. Things were different when there were no cameras watching/filming and small or tiny galleries.

I would say his win is a testament to the courses played, that smart and accurate golf won vs the competition whom all throw further than Cam Id guess.

Last edited:
I see that he's no longer on the Grip website as one of their pros, and noticed that he was carrying the new Innova HeroPack for the last couple of tournaments. He was also carrying a HeroPack when we were down at the NCDGC in Augusta. For the GBO though he's got this new black bag. Looks like a Grip with an Innova patch sewn over the Grip logo. Clearly not a HeroPack. Anyone have any ideas? Innova coming out with a higher end bag in the near future?

Paul has posted a few times on Facebook that it is not a Grip bag but a new Innova bag. Maybe hes running a prototype through its paces before regular release.

Paul has posted a few times on Facebook that it is not a Grip bag but a new Innova bag. Maybe hes running a prototype through its paces before regular release.

He was carrying a grip with a rainfly on it for at least the second round. Im 100% sure.

Note that since bags do not get PDGA Approved, it wouldn't be surprising that sponsored players could have custom bags that their sponsor hasn't chosen to market as a product yet or at all.

Paul has said numerous times that it's an Innova bag, so either he's lying or you're mistaken...

I saw it in person, and it certainly looked like a Grip Bag with an Innova patch on it. I mean, really really really looked like a Grip.

Who knows. I don't care, really.

A couple of other Cam tidbits. One of the sanctions he got was for puting an inappropriate image on a disc; get your mind out of the gutter, it was green. I took over the disciplinary committee just after it resolved. Hard to believe given where we are today. There was a rumor that when he left he went to try out the dark side, ball golf.

Set that aside, when he was playing first time it looked like he was gonna displace Climo. The
way he played here was very typical of how he played before. I know it sounds sappy, but he looks like he has a natural feel for angles and distances. Glad to see this happen for him.

If Ricky chokes under pressure, Paul tends to underrate risky shots. The wind and conditions suited Cam's solid no nonsense play, and cost Paul, and to a lesser extent Ricky. They pushed their shots further out at times when Cam took straight up safer shots. Good game plan and course management.

Latest posts