• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Roadtrip to AZ - KS, NM, UT, CO 2/21-3/6

Well, the memorial is over. And with hopes of staying warm longer and avoiding rain/snow we're on our way to Tucson and southern NM.

Holy F!!!! Talk about an EPIC course. Mind blown. Just finished hole 18 at Ironside under a nearly full moon.

Martin

The course is rated only 2.25 with only two reviews. However, the Trusted Reviewer gave it a 4.

How would you rate this epic course? I am bagging some courses in Flagstaff this weekend and can easily re-route to play Ironside Bluffs if Mr. Dewgarita recommends it. Do tell more!

I'd put it up there with the must plays on my list of courses across the country. If given the opportunity to replay any course in the country, there's maybe a dozen I'd choose before ironside. In fun factor/Awe/Epicness I'd give it a 4.5. For Amenities maybe a 2.5 - kind of the bare minimum to be considered a solid course, with rubber pads for tees and number signs denoting where you're at (one concrete tee randomly is likely the sign of more to come). And for the golf layout, like a 3.5 or better, seemed a bit rhbh hyzer friendly with several holes wide open to the right crash in hyzer. Many reachable/deucable holes with a high technicality factor, hit your line and you might be sitting pretty, or you might hit a rock and kick up and roll 100' behind where you're standing. It starts off with a series of long open holes, at ~500' +/- .

The first hole is the only one that might be conidered "boring" and can be could be considered just the 500' walk to the 17 hole epic course beyond. A shallow creek comes into play on the first 3 holes, the third being a pretty awesome island green. From there it climbs up and down and across the side of a bluff, with cliff faces, rock formations, precarious pin placements and pure epicness. A couple play across the top the bluff, with hole 12 being the only one with no dire concequences, it's just grueling par 4, hole 15 plays up the cliff after a 300' relatively flat drive, then the remainder (that i played by the moonlight) play along the same cliff face, something that hyzers out a touch too much (rhbh) might require climbing shoes. Then the finisher is something less than epic downhiller if you were hoping for a top of the world shot.

It was very muddy when we played. Definitely wear hiking boots and be prepared for a hike, pack snacks and plenty of water and prepare yourself for an incredible journey.

Latest posts