• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2016 Memorial Championship presented by Discraft

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are there no other video teams there to cover the first major NT of the year? SpinTV? Jomez? Marty?

Please?

I could care less if FPO is getting the live stream today... but a lead card with Nikko, McBeth, Simon and Nate SHOULD be getting some good coverage. This is the **** we wait all winter for.

Sorry if that sounded like a knock against you JV. Not intended at all. You guys are doing a great job. Just REALLY surprised there wouldn't be another one of the "A-level" video teams there.

Does anyone think the PDGA is limiting access to recording NT events this year? In order to do the live stream this year you had to submit a bid to the PDGA. The bid process could have been required in previous years so maybe that's not a new thing. Just wondering if they have told people like Marty that they can record but they have to stand with the spectators instead of being able to have close access to the players. I know in the past I have seen events with multiple people trying to record and they end up jockeying for position and can sometimes block the live stream camera from getting a clear shot of the action.

My understanding is that none of them are there. My GUESS is that Spin & Jomez are gearing up for next weeks WT events. As great as this event is, there are so many more events coming up. People have to pick and choose the events they go to for economic reasons or sponsor reasons.

Watching the coverage yesterday, it didn't look like anyone else was out there with you, so that makes sense, JV. Thank you for filming at least one round of FPO.

PDGA isn't restricting anyone from recording at this point. But, sponsors of the event have a big influence. This is a premier Discraft event and they want to keep the branding of that event intact. And I can't speak for anyone other than SmashBoxx, but that could be a reason too.

Marty had posted some time ago that he was denied access to film the Memorial this year. Not sure of the details.

Here is the post:
I'm sad to announce that I won't be filming at 2016's The Memorial Championship presented by Discraft. Over the past two years, my coverage of the Memorial has amassed more than 420,000 views--far and away the leading source of publicity (free, I might add) for the tournament. (By comparison, last year's live coverage by SmashBoxxTV generated 142K views, compared to my 217K for the Prodigy Disc YouTube channel.) Despite that quantitative measure of success, I was told yesterday by the tournament director that I could not return in 2016 to film (at no cost to them, again) the leaders of the men's division. While I certainly don't think it's fair, I will abide by the policy. For the record, the Prodigy Disc cameras will go nowhere in 2016 where there are filming restrictions in place.

2 things-

1. That was a garbage post by Mcfly.
2. It's lame that there isn't a youtuber team there.

Probably because Discraft doesn't want their stuff branded Prodigy on the Prodigy channel. Pretty simple.

BUT... Marty does really good work. But, his job is to promote Prodigy and their players. Where would he be today if he were filming??? Maybe he would film the lead card with 2 Innova, 1 Discmania, & 1 former Prodigy player? Or maybe he would go to where the top Prodigy player is? I honestly can't say.

Mcfly's post reads as if he could have gone, just that he would not have had access to the leaders of the mens division. I woulda watched some 2nd, 3rd, 4th card coverage. Or Masters. Or Women.

And not all Youtubers are tied to a specific disc manufacturer, like Mcfly is.

For all the folks grousing about the FPO lead card getting some overdue prime live coverage today (round 2 of 4) and that Discraft, who has paid handsomely, for years, to sponsor this event, has placed restrictions of the broadcast rights of the tournament, I'm sure that if you just call your cable or internet provider, they'll be happy to refund all the PPV money you were charged for showing you The Memorial on your TV, phone, desktop, laptop or tablet.

My understanding is that none of them are there. My GUESS is that Spin & Jomez are gearing up for next weeks WT events. As great as this event is, there are so many more events coming up. People have to pick and choose the events they go to for economic reasons or sponsor reasons.

I'm pretty sure that's what's going on with the other (non Marty) guys. I know CCDG and Spin are at the WT kickoff event for sure.

For all the folks grousing about the FPO lead card getting some overdue prime live coverage today (round 2 of 4) and that Discraft, who has paid handsomely, for years, to sponsor this event, has placed restrictions of the broadcast rights of the tournament, I'm sure that if you just call your cable or internet provider, they'll be happy to refund all the PPV money you were charged for showing you The Memorial on your TV, phone, desktop, laptop or tablet.

the old "you ain't paying for it, so quit complaining" argument. I will agree that all youtubers and the like deserve our gratitude for providing entertainment. But what is the point of their coverage? To entertain. And most people don't find Women's, Masters, Ams, etc coverage entertaining. I personally only watch videos if there's atleast one big MPO name on the card. I don't represent everyone, but I'd say the vast majority of those who keep up with all of the tournaments on youtube would agree with me. I don't think there's any doubt that Terry and all of the other guys lose viewers when they don't cover the top few cards of MPO.

So, as you all know we are showing the women today. Some like this, some don't. Oh well. This course is short and fun. It will be a pleasure to watch.

Condensed round coverage. We are SWAMPED doing the live broadcast all day and then the wrap-up show at night. BUT, we do plan on putting out some sort of condensed coverage of the rounds that we record. But it might not be immediate. HOPEFULLY starting next week. I understand that people want it soon, if not yesterday. We are all excited that the NTs have begun.

Men's card today. We think that we have someone that will do some recording of the round. He is a volunteer, so we are not sure exactly what we will get out of him. I don't think we will see traditional shot-by-shot coverage of this round. But we hope to put together a longer highlight package depending on the quality of the footage. We won't know until we review the footage we get today. Yes, the card is "awesome". But think about it... it will be awesome tomorrow and Saturday as well.

Seriously, thanks everyone for your support and tuning in. We have only just begun.

Great work yesterday!

I don't represent everyone, but I'd say the vast majority of those who keep up with all of the tournaments on youtube would agree with me. I don't think there's any doubt that Terry and all of the other guys lose viewers when they don't cover the top few cards of MPO.

Then why do you think they're covering the FPO lead card today?

Then why do you think they're covering the FPO lead card today?

Discraft probably asked them too. They're paying Terry to come out, so I'm sure they have some say. Or maybe they're just doing it because the ladies deserve some coverage.

Terry reached out about us coming out, but I'm gonna be stretched pretty thin this year, so opted not to.

Jomez, CCDG (us), and Spin will all be at DGWT next week.

I don't think there's any doubt that Terry and all of the other guys lose viewers when they don't cover the top few cards of MPO.

Ok, so as of now, Round 1 has around 27k views. I wonder how many fewer people will watch today's round over the same amount of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.