• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2016 Pro Worlds

So it looks like we got another potential penalty situation. Devan and Ricky threw the exact same disc, and apparently neither were uniquely marked...

Last edited:
Seriously, if the rules written for hole 7 seem confusing to you, you shouldn't be playing events with $100+ entrance fees. Stick to c tiers and Saturday cartoons.

So it looks like we got another potential penalty situation. Devan and Ricky threw the exact same disc, and apparently neither were uniquely marked...

801.02 F. All discs used in play, except mini marker discs, must be uniquely marked. A player shall receive a warning for the first instance of throwing an unmarked disc. Each subsequent throw by the player with an unmarked disc shall incur one penalty throw.

So looks to be Mcbeth doesn't get any strokes back unless he watches each disc for a mark.

Its clear, players saw the spotter/volunteer mark where their disc was last in bounds. They ASSUMED that is where they should play and didn't consult the book. It is the natural thing to do! Especially if the spotter says nothing. Anyone consulting the book would and should take notice of the special rule and should have correctly played it or a provisional if they were still confused.

...so why did the spotters on the island have flags if they are completely irrelevant to the island?

I will say that in the end it is 100% the players fault for not consulting the caddy book and knowing the rules of the hole. However, why would the spotter have flags? Why wouldn't the TDs give instructions to the spotters for the hole they will be working? This is akin to hiring someone at McDonalds and telling them to work the register and then walking off without training them on the task you want them to complete.

This is the WORLD championships for crying out loud.

...so why did the spotters on the island have flags if they are completely irrelevant to the island?

I will say that in the end it is 100% the players fault for not consulting the caddy book and knowing the rules of the hole. However, why would the spotter have flags? Why wouldn't the TDs give instructions to the spotters for the hole they will be working? This is akin to hiring someone at McDonalds and telling them to work the register and then walking off without training them on the task you want them to complete.

Great question. It seems to me (from my couch) that DD could have done a better job in educating the spotter/volunteer on that hole.

I didn't see this hole played. Are they going for the green off of the tee or is it the second shot that goes into the green and then potentially skips OB?

If it's the second shot that hits the island and then goes OB, do they go back to where it crossed the OB line in the air from the main fairway?

I didn't see this hole played. Are they going for the green off of the tee or is it the second shot that goes into the green and then potentially skips OB?

If it's the second shot that hits the island and then goes OB, do they go back to where it crossed the OB line in the air from the main fairway?

The second shot is [often] blind and downhill to an island green.

Correct, the intended play is if your second drive lands OB you have to take it back where it left the main fairway regardless of whether it crossed/touched in bounds on the island before going out or not.

Wait, isn't this covered in the caddy book for hole 7? If both players use the exact same disc they have to wrestle in poison ivy for thirty seconds then play from the DZ?

Seems simple enough to me.

And the spotters have flags because someone might putt it out of bounds once they are safely on the green? That seems unlikely right?

Seems like the real snafu here is the spotters placing flags for someone's discs where it crossed the "ob" line after it misses the island. I can see how that could confuse a player and cause them to misjudge what they were supposed to do.

In the end its still the players responsibility but the TD should at some point step up and say, yeah maybe having a spotter there with flags wasnt the best idea ever.

The spotters are completely relevant to the island.

If the players were allowed to take last spot IB on the island, they could just walk to the island, mark their spot, and putt.
But since the island is blind from the approach point, the players can't see if they landed on or off. Since the player has to throw from the fairway instead of the green for an OB shot, the spotter's red flag should be an indication to stay in the fairway instead of walking to the island.

The spotter's job is (or should have been) to signal IB or OB. The player should know what to do when he sees a red flag. It would have been nice for the spotter to stop players who were about to make a mistake, but that still ultimately is the responsibility of the player.

Somebody get Ricky a sharpie STAT!

But seriously, how can two guys on the top card, one being the #1 ranked player in the world, be throwing an unmarked disc? I mean everybody knows that's a rule right? Do they just think that that role doesn't apply to them? Or did they forget? Or what?

Apparently they both said it was just faded. Paul was a little miffed but nothing came of it. The weird thing to me was that ricky walked up to what turned out to be devan's disc and tilted the disc to look at the underside up without marking it, is that legal?

Teaching the kids how to make "disc chargers" on the Emporia sidewalks. ;) If you've never been to an event there, it's worth seeing the hospitality shown by the community more than anywhere I've traveled.

Latest posts