• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2016 Tourney Videos

Masters Lead Card Final Round

Masters Cup Lead Card Final Round

Last edited:
You know, it's a rare case where I'd rather watch a round with out commentary, than with, but that final round at the Masters would definitely have been better without. Because, you know, sometimes the commentary is just so unbearable that, you know, I just can't, you know, get through it.

You know, it's a rare case where I'd rather watch a round with out commentary, than with, but that final round at the Masters would definitely have been better without. Because, you know, sometimes the commentary is just so unbearable that, you know, I just can't, you know, get through it.

Rick'y on air speaking is getting much better. If you have ever seen some of his older clinic videos, he's come a long way. But forget that.....Ricky's talent is off the charts!

It was definitely great to hear commentary from the winner of the tournament. And Ricky is light-years better at speaking than when he started out in the spotlight.

He definitely seems to stumble or get fixated upon certain words or phrases. Maybe a case of 'trying to fill time' that unexperienced speakers often find themselves dealing with.

In any case just doing long-form commentary like this is a great exercise for him and its nice to hear from the other guy gunning for #1 on any given weekend.

Oh fear crying out loud give the guy a break. You ever try to talk to a camera? It's not as easy as it sounds. I tried out to do color commentary once for my colleges radio program for men's basketball. Learned VERY quickly how little I knew about that game and just how hard it is to make thoughts into comments smoothly.

Oh fear crying out loud give the guy a break. You ever try to talk to a camera? It's not as easy as it sounds. I tried out to do color commentary once for my colleges radio program for men's basketball. Learned VERY quickly how little I knew about that game and just how hard it is to make thoughts into comments smoothly.

Yep, won my first large poster competition presenting to a nobel laureat. It takes hard work, practice, and patience. It takes knowing what you want to say, and it takes having the confidence to say it once, but not to try and say the same thing three different ways to add meat to your presentation.

That said, Ricky is a bad presenter, don't much care how much you like the guy. By all accounts, he's gracious, polite, and well mannered, but three you knows in one sentence is too much for any talk and when you do it multiple times, you're a bad speaker. BTW - I didn't learn this competing, I learned it from my uncle. The first time I did it to him, I was 15, he looked me dead in the eye and said, "no, I don't know, and if you want to speak to me, slow down and leave out the garbage."

I am amazed at the notion that telling kids to do things well is somehow hurting them. We give them a pass on poor speaking, poor manners, and poor work habits, and then we wonder why they come out poorly. Again, Ricky appears to be a very nice, very talented player, his speaking is bad.

Was it your uncle that taught you how to "you know" be a jerk?
Nope, he taught me to speak carefully, and to think a bit. Your notion that because I recognize that Ricky speaks poorly, or that I can observe that not working hard at something isn't a path to success, somehow makes me a jerk, nicely makes the point. Would you argue that having two or three you knows in one sentence is good english? That it is entertaining to listen to? That there aren't disc golfers out there that can do better? You will notice that I quite easily recognize those areas where Ricky is superlative, playing and manners. That doesn't mean I have to feel that he speaks well. What's more, I know from personal experience that working hard, at anything, is the best path to success. Would you disagree with that?

You will also notice that I don't feel it necessary to call people names on line, even when I strongly disagree with them. It's okay to point out the short comings in their arguments, and even debate the point, butit is a weak argument to say, "you're a potzer!" It denotes a lack of information to support your point.

If I'm going to put myself in a postion, say speaking in public, I go in prepared. I take the time to have a feel for the issues, format, and topic at hand. I will even practice scenarios to build a "tool kit" of solutions to deal with things that might come up. The tool kit idea came from getting licenced as a soccer referee, they recommend it as a way to deal with combative players and coaches. That is a pathway to success.

If you agree to participate in a 90 minute discussion of a round of disc golf, and you don't prepare for it, you might just look bad. That isn't my fault, and it isn't doesn't make me a jerk for being able to realize that it sounds bad.

On a greater note, and more in line with this thread in general. Too many commentators want to get into the business of making videos on the sport, and are unwilling to make the time to do it well. There are exceptions, and they are good at what they do. For fun and hopefully to influence future attempts, many of us come to such areas with our observations and comments. If you put yourself in the public arena, you should expect that.

Last, if you want to see a player that is pretty good at such commentaries, try Nate Sexton. He's funny, not to self focused, and reasonably well spoken.

I think if Ricky had his sights on being the premiere disc golf color commentator your chiding him for lack of preparation might have some merit.

As it stands he's the guy who won the event and was asked by another person to graciously donate his time and thoughts about what is unfolding in real time (most of these post-production commentaries are a one take affair).

You might want to forgive his lack of preparation on the commentary because he was - you know - busy preparing to win the event... which is the first and most important job he gets paid to do.

Nope, he taught me to speak carefully, and to think a bit. Your notion that because I recognize that Ricky speaks poorly, or that I can observe that not working hard at something isn't a path to success, somehow makes me a jerk, nicely makes the point. Would you argue that having two or three you knows in one sentence is good english? That it is entertaining to listen to? That there aren't disc golfers out there that can do better? You will notice that I quite easily recognize those areas where Ricky is superlative, playing and manners. That doesn't mean I have to feel that he speaks well. What's more, I know from personal experience that working hard, at anything, is the best path to success. Would you disagree with that?

You will also notice that I don't feel it necessary to call people names on line, even when I strongly disagree with them. It's okay to point out the short comings in their arguments, and even debate the point, butit is a weak argument to say, "you're a potzer!" It denotes a lack of information to support your point.

If I'm going to put myself in a postion, say speaking in public, I go in prepared. I take the time to have a feel for the issues, format, and topic at hand. I will even practice scenarios to build a "tool kit" of solutions to deal with things that might come up. The tool kit idea came from getting licenced as a soccer referee, they recommend it as a way to deal with combative players and coaches. That is a pathway to success.

If you agree to participate in a 90 minute discussion of a round of disc golf, and you don't prepare for it, you might just look bad. That isn't my fault, and it isn't doesn't make me a jerk for being able to realize that it sounds bad.

On a greater note, and more in line with this thread in general. Too many commentators want to get into the business of making videos on the sport, and are unwilling to make the time to do it well. There are exceptions, and they are good at what they do. For fun and hopefully to influence future attempts, many of us come to such areas with our observations and comments. If you put yourself in the public arena, you should expect that.

Last, if you want to see a player that is pretty good at such commentaries, try Nate Sexton. He's funny, not to self focused, and reasonably well spoken.

Wow, I think Ricky is clearly on the path to success in my eyes. Ricky won the tournament, who else should Terry Miller have invited to participate as a commentator? And if it is so well known that Ricky is a bad speaker, couldn't you also blame Terry for inviting him commentate in the first place? I also think experience goes a long ways. He can't improve if he doesn't try! You are entitled to your opinion, totally fine I suppose, but I think Ricky offered a lot of insight throughout the video that made the video much better than if he wasn't involved as a commentator. Easily one of the best all around videos I have seen come out this year.

Hate to break it to you, but by making your initial mocking "you know" comment did make you come across more as a jerk than someone trying to offer real constructive criticism. Next time just mute the volume, Ricky and most of the rest of us I suspect would appreciate it.

Last edited:
Please, if you want to continue the discussion, make another thread for it. Let's try to keep this one for tourney videos.