• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2016 Vibram Birdie Bash

Since I hadn't heard anything about it, I asked about the VBB World Championship. According to the email I received back from Steve Dodge, "there is too much in the hopper to make it happen around AM Worlds. The Fall might be the time frame"

I think this is unfortunate for a couple of reasons.

1) Less participation in the event from players. Tying it to the Worlds event time and location allowed players to make one big trip, attracting more players.

2) There were quite a few Juniors playing in last year's event and the Fall time frame probably won't allow that many Junior players with school and other organized sports going on.

Am Worlds is most people's big disc golf trip for the year, having the VBB World Championship there and then made sense. However, I would not hold it again at courses that are in play for Worlds. There were several players who were unable to practice Coldbrook Park because of the 2-day event.

Since I hadn't heard anything about it, I asked about the VBB World Championship. According to the email I received back from Steve Dodge, "there is too much in the hopper to make it happen around AM Worlds. The Fall might be the time frame"

I think this is unfortunate for a couple of reasons.

1) Less participation in the event from players. Tying it to the Worlds event time and location allowed players to make one big trip, attracting more players.

2) There were quite a few Juniors playing in last year's event and the Fall time frame probably won't allow that many Junior players with school and other organized sports going on.

Am Worlds is most people's big disc golf trip for the year, having the VBB World Championship there and then made sense. However, I would not hold it again at courses that are in play for Worlds. There were several players who were unable to practice Coldbrook Park because of the 2-day event.

I know of a couple people that played in this last year and they talk about it quite often. I think that was one of the big lures of this event. I don't throw any vibram but a guy in our club wants to run one and i planned on playing at least to support him and the club. 40$ doesn't seem overly expensive on my end for 2 disc a shirt and some other free swag.

The polo shirt looks ok, best disc golf shirt ever? I'm not so sure.

8071617_orig.jpg

:\

I would much rather have the logo on the polo be the basic simple Vibram Disc Golf logo. Not a fan of the Birdie Bash logo, especially on a polo.

The water bottle looks legit. Still single walled, but legit.

Are these gonna be rated? I actually think that may hurt not help. I myself am not overly concerned with my rating but some player may not want to play a rated round with unfamiliar discs. Ok more i think about it the points scoring system can't be rated...Can It? I hope not. Beside insurance what is the benefit of pdga sanctioning? Are current pdga members gonna get the $10 off?

Would be odd to be rated...if you dont get a birdie...dont you just go to the next hole?

With it being PDGA sanctioned now I wish it was just a normal tournament in which you can use any disc, and what they give you is just the player's pack. If I'm paying for sanctioning I at least want rated rounds.

With it being PDGA sanctioned now I wish it was just a normal tournament in which you can use any disc, and what they give you is just the player's pack. If I'm paying for sanctioning I at least want rated rounds.
Your not paying for sanctioning. vibram is paying all pdga fees.

Steve has said that the extra $ is for the shirt, water bottle, and charity donation (Autism Speaks and St. Jude)

We're paying Vibram an extra $10, and I don't think that's for adding a collar to the shirt
You really should read the beginning of the thread but here's the basics
Vibram is paying all pdga fees
They are donating a portion of the proceeds to charity
2015 vbb cost $30 for a $60 valued players pack
2016 vbb cost $40 for a $100 valued players pack.

It's still essentially an Ace Race type event. The entire point of the event is to play it as such.

Since the Birdie Bash is a sanctioned event, are the TD's required to submit TD reports to the pdga? And do you have to get approval from your state coordinator for your date?

Since the Birdie Bash is a sanctioned event, are the TD's required to submit TD reports to the pdga? And do you have to get approval from your state coordinator for your date?
Yes, Steve sent an email to all of the TDs yesterday with step by step instructions on how to get it set up and reported to the PDGA

Hello, I'm new to this amazing fun sport..played in my first tourney recently..payed $55! Why are these tournaments so much?
I'm in another one in April, total is $63! I've seen others for $79, this is for recreational!
I used to play in tennis tournaments, those were usually $30-35, sometimes $45 at the most.
Seems a littler high imo. But I did have a great time & want to continue supporting the sport..I know there's costs to running it & the people doing the work for it do need to make some $.

Hello, I'm new to this amazing fun sport..played in my first tourney recently..payed $55! Why are these tournaments so much?
I'm in another one in April, total is $63! I've seen others for $79, this is for recreational!
I used to play in tennis tournaments, those were usually $30-35, sometimes $45 at the most.
Seems a littler high imo. But I did have a great time & want to continue supporting the sport..I know there's costs to running it & the people doing the work for it do need to make some $.
Any players pack?

I came from tennis, and the players packs in tennis suck. I think in four years of competitive play, I got two white cotton T-shirts (men's sizes, so very baggy), one clear plastic water bottle that dribbles when I drink, a small hand towel which I still use, and a half-dozen wrist sweatbands. Tournament fees ran from $25 to $45 depending on the site, and in my division I usually was guaranteed 3-4 matches at the very most, sometimes only two matches (a round robin of three players).

You're going about it wrong, no criticism implied. Tournaments come in all different flavors, A, B, C, and other. Each has a different cost structure. The higher up you go, the more you pay, The amount you're paying strikes me as a B event. C events of course are less, and A events are more (that's before you hit the NT events etc.

Go take a look at the PDGA web site, un-remarkably it's PDGA.com, and they define the different tour types.

My suggestion is to toss off tournaments for the moment. It's an expensive way to learn to play competitively. Look locally for a league and play there. The local leagues where I play, are $20 for six rounds, typically played once a week. They are great fun, some competitive pressure, and a lot more casual. The local league will most likely tie you into the local club where you can meet and greet, donate your hard earned free time, and help grow the sport.

You're going about it wrong, no criticism implied. Tournaments come in all different flavors, A, B, C, and other. Each has a different cost structure. The higher up you go, the more you pay, The amount you're paying strikes me as a B event. C events of course are less, and A events are more (that's before you hit the NT events etc.

Go take a look at the PDGA web site, un-remarkably it's PDGA.com, and they define the different tour types.

My suggestion is to toss off tournaments for the moment. It's an expensive way to learn to play competitively. Look locally for a league and play there. The local leagues where I play, are $20 for six rounds, typically played once a week. They are great fun, some competitive pressure, and a lot more casual. The local league will most likely tie you into the local club where you can meet and greet, donate your hard earned free time, and help grow the sport.

Thanks for the info..I'm joining 2 leagues at 2 courses, I can't wait. And they have club's as well, sounds like a lot of fun. I highly enjoyed my first tourney & will play amap when I can.

Player's pack..I got a disk, good quality from Diskcraft, stickers, a lunch & a t-shirt..a dry-fit.

I came from tennis, and the players packs in tennis suck. I think in four years of competitive play, I got two white cotton T-shirts (men's sizes, so very baggy), one clear plastic water bottle that dribbles when I drink, a small hand towel which I still use, and a half-dozen wrist sweatbands. Tournament fees ran from $25 to $45 depending on the site, and in my division I usually was guaranteed 3-4 matches at the very most, sometimes only two matches (a round robin of three players).

I only recall getting a lunch. Lol..and yes..some of the tourney's you may only get 2 matches. So now that I'm thinking about it for the price it wasn't much. LOL.

how bout a question on what discs yall will be getting. Im leaning towards a valley and ridge, but i dont know their discs at all. last year i had an ibex and VP. Which of their putters has the most glide, the course ill be playing has a lot of ~200-250' holes so a putter off the tee is likely to happen a lot