• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2016 Vibram Birdie Bash

For $40 at the VBB I get a $100 value! You said it, yourself! Two discs, a mini and what will surely be the sweetest DG shirt EVAR. For $50 (not $40) for a PDGA membership, I get only ONE disc and NO super sweet DG shirt. That's a clear net win for the VBB.

There are few things I care less about than the PDGA.
Sorry I should have clarified
After all your bitchin and moaning about how unfair it was for you not to be able to run a birdie bash because your not a pdga member. I thought it interesting that you would rather pay $40 to play in one rather than pay $40 with discount codes for a pdga membership so you could run some events.

Sorry I should have clarified
After all your bitchin and moaning about how unfair it was for you not to be able to run a birdie bash because your not a pdga member. I thought it interesting that you would rather pay $40 to play in one rather than pay $40 with discount codes for a pdga membership so you could run some events.
I don't recall saying it was unfair. I think I was pretty clear that I thought PDGA sanctioning for the event seems fairly pointless and that I have no interest in being a PDGA member to run one.

My apologies for missing that there might be discount codes to buy a membership I've been clear I have no interest in obtaining. Shocking that I would miss that.

I think you've well established your position on the topic. I believe you can safely conclude your participation in the thread and leave it up to others to point out my lack of reading retention on the Vibram site or apparent flaws in logic on how I choose to spend my money or time.

Happy Holidays!

I don't recall saying it was unfair. I think I was pretty clear that I thought PDGA sanctioning for the event seems fairly pointless and that I have no interest in being a PDGA member to run one.

My apologies for missing that there might be discount codes to buy a membership I've been clear I have no interest in obtaining. Shocking that I would miss that.

I think you've well established your position on the topic. I believe you can safely conclude your participation in the thread and leave it up to others to point out my lack of reading retention on the Vibram site or apparent flaws in logic on how I choose to spend my money or time.

Happy Holidays!
Your right unfair might have been too strong a word I should have used bummed then bitched and moaned without really reading the information.
It would have made more sense if your first post started like this.

Well looks like you have to be a pdga member to run a birdie bash now which I have no plans on doing and why oh why is it $10 more expensive. Anyone else have opinions?

happy holidays [emoji1]

I might not run one this year. I feel like the demand for rubber in my area is on a downswing and the extra cost for another limited selection of discs could hurt.

Same situation here.

Also last year we were using the VBB as a fundraiser to get baskets for our new course. Without that, Im not sure how many will show up to just raise general club funds.

PDGA sanctioning? I don't know that many players who've played my past events would care much about this. It certainly wouldn't be much of a selling point. These type of events are perfect for drawing in newer players and the like...players who don't even know there IS a PDGA, much less care about this sort of event being sanctioned

My guess is that this exactly why the change has been made, to further the #growthesport movement via the PDGA and encourage more casual players to join up and play sactioned tournaments (and pay membership fees, of course).

Considering Vibram's sponsorship of the Maple Hill Open, and now Steve Dodge's creation of the DGPT, it seems like a plan is in progress.

I was looking forward to playing in one again this year, hoping to snag a new Obex or unLace (both of which I started throwing because of the VBB, and never would have picked up otherwise). Neither of those discs are options this year, and while I'd like to get a VP to try out (I kept flipping my 174g Ridge last year, so I've given all my Ridges to my son or sold them on Facebook), I have little interest in a fairway driver that I'll use for part of one round and then try to sell. Especially for $10 more. MAYBE the Arch will convince me to do it, but it's going to come down to when and where. If it's a weekend I'm free, and a course I like or want to play, then I may be up for it. But I'm not as excited about it as previous years. I'm not waiting with baited breath to see who is running one close by. And I CAN''T run one myself, since I'm not a PDGA member (though I might end up joining - there are going to be enough sanctioned events in this area this year that it could end up paying for itself).

to further the #growthesport movement via the PDGA and encourage more casual players to join up and play sactioned tournaments (and pay membership fees, of course).

Wouldn't the best way to grow the sport be to encourage as many casual players to play as possible? Most of them will never play in a sanctioned tournament.

It seems like it would be better for the sport to encourage as many people to play as possible with no strings attached.

Wouldn't the best way to grow the sport be to encourage as many casual players to play as possible? Most of them will never play in a sanctioned tournament.

It seems like it would be better for the sport to encourage as many people to play as possible with no strings attached.
There are no strings attached

Well now youre diving into the "grow the game" versus "grow the sport" which is actually a debate I have a lot.

I'm just saying that Vibram and especially now Steve Dodge already have connections to the PDGA, and making the Bash a sanctioned event is just a way to further growth from that perspective. I assume they're thinking it's a way to let those casual players know there is a governing body (and all that entails) and perhaps drawing them further into the Sport. I'm neither for nor against that idea, just saying.

There are no strings attached

:thmbup:

Well now youre diving into the "grow the game" versus "grow the sport" which is actually a debate I have a lot.

^ This all day. Perhaps they are doing both by sanctioning the Bash tho. Perhaps also there are many different ways to grow both. In theory, the bigger (members and $) the PDGA gets, the bigger the game will get. Still waiting for the AmDGA tho...

Last year, around this time, I emailed to ask if anybody had hosted a VBB locally. I figured if there were, I'd contact that person to see if another were in the works, in which case I'd play in that; otherwise, I'd host one. The response I received didn't answer the question, only offered a link to the scheduling page. So, I neither played nor hosted a VBB this past year.

I figured this year I'd just host one, as getting info from Vibram about past hosts is obviously not going to happen. Well, now, I have to be a PDGA member to host a VBB? That ain't happening. I've seen no reason to join the PDGA in all the years I've been playing this game and have no interest in doing so going forward.

If I don't find a VBB nearby next spring, then I'll give up all thought of ever playing in one.

As for growing the sport, any additional hassle one places in front of prospective players, the fewer players will show up. Offering reference to an organization they know nothing about and have no interest in doesn't add to the appeal. To grow the sport at a greater rate than has been the case, one has to get more people out throwing on courses, period. Events that reward the players with fun and a smooth experience are more effective than any stack of goodies in a player pack or talk of a pro organization or national championship or anything else a competitive player might find appealing. Grow the sport by appealing to the non-competitive players.

So this is about a $10 increase and having to be a member of the dreaded PDGA?

Here are some other options of nearly identical events, unless they go PDGA in 2016 as well:

Discraft Ace Race
Dynamic Discs Two Disc Challenge
Legacy Discs Battle of the Aces
MVP Circuit

Last year, around this time, I emailed to ask if anybody had hosted a VBB locally. I figured if there were, I'd contact that person to see if another were in the works, in which case I'd play in that; otherwise, I'd host one. The response I received didn't answer the question, only offered a link to the scheduling page. So, I neither played nor hosted a VBB this past year.

I figured this year I'd just host one, as getting info from Vibram about past hosts is obviously not going to happen. Well, now, I have to be a PDGA member to host a VBB? That ain't happening. I've seen no reason to join the PDGA in all the years I've been playing this game and have no interest in doing so going forward.

If I don't find a VBB nearby next spring, then I'll give up all thought of ever playing in one.

As for growing the sport, any additional hassle one places in front of prospective players, the fewer players will show up. Offering reference to an organization they know nothing about and have no interest in doesn't add to the appeal. To grow the sport at a greater rate than has been the case, one has to get more people out throwing on courses, period. Events that reward the players with fun and a smooth experience are more effective than any stack of goodies in a player pack or talk of a pro organization or national championship or anything else a competitive player might find appealing. Grow the sport by appealing to the non-competitive players.
First of all where is all this hassle everyone keeps talking about?
You find a vbb sign up pick your discs and pay $40 then go to the vbb and throw some discs. Sounds pretty much like last year.
Also for all you guys who don't like joining organizations either pay the measly $40 to become a member, or pay the fee and use the $5 give back to pay yourself back, or find friend or local disc golfer who's a member and help them run it.

I fail to see what the big issue is here. How many local clubs have insurance set up? How many of the Birdie Bashes will be at parks that require you to have insurance to run an organized event. Being PDGA sanctioned allows the event to use the PDGA insurance.

What is the big deal here?

I fail to see what the big issue is here. How many local clubs have insurance set up? How many of the Birdie Bashes will be at parks that require you to have insurance to run an organized event. Being PDGA sanctioned allows the event to use the PDGA insurance.

10 dollars.

Seriously, that is what a few whining, suler entitled disc golfers are bitching about. 10 freaking dollars.

Like I said earlier, I like it because I had to pay 250 bucks for insurance last year. As one can imagine, my wife wasnt too happy about it especially since she was only teaching part-time last year. I find it very slightly amusing that we are now (thankfully) in a position where that kind of money isnt that big of a deal but now it wont be neccesarry.

I digress. I really dont see an issue either. Im fairly certain that if my club decides to run a VBB this year, we'll sell it out just like we did the last three years.

None of that is a big deal to me, though the PDGA thing may keep me from attempting to run one in the future. My big problem is the decrease in disc selection coupled with the increase in price. Last year's BB was great because you didn't even have to choose a putter - you could go driver/midrange if you wanted to. The drawback there was the lack of fairway drivers - which is the only thing they offer other than putters this year.

I guess up to this year, I could pretend it wasn't a marketing tool. Yeah, I always knew it was (I was a marketing major in college, so I can spot marketing tools several miles away), but the way it was set up I could pretend it wasn't. This year is different, because they are SO severely limiting the disc choices.

These types of tournaments are by far my favorites - I'll play a Birdie Bash or an Ace Race or a Circuit or any of the others over a sanctioned tournament any time. I have more fun, and that's what I do it for. And I may still end up playing a BB this year, but I'm not thrilled with the change in disc selection. I'm hoping that it will change back next year, when they don't have a new product line to promote.

None of that is a big deal to me, though the PDGA thing may keep me from attempting to run one in the future. My big problem is the decrease in disc selection coupled with the increase in price. Last year's BB was great because you didn't even have to choose a putter - you could go driver/midrange if you wanted to. The drawback there was the lack of fairway drivers - which is the only thing they offer other than putters this year.

I guess up to this year, I could pretend it wasn't a marketing tool. Yeah, I always knew it was (I was a marketing major in college, so I can spot marketing tools several miles away), but the way it was set up I could pretend it wasn't. This year is different, because they are SO severely limiting the disc choices.

These types of tournaments are by far my favorites - I'll play a Birdie Bash or an Ace Race or a Circuit or any of the others over a sanctioned tournament any time. I have more fun, and that's what I do it for. And I may still end up playing a BB this year, but I'm not thrilled with the change in disc selection. I'm hoping that it will change back next year, when they don't have a new product line to promote.

I can understand that but at least Vibram gives the most choice in an event like this. All the other ones are just as limited if not even worse. I mean, how bad have the last few years Ace Race discs have been. :thmbdown:

They want to get the new discs into hands of new people. That is not an issue. The good thing about the fairway lineup is there truly is something for everyone now.

I'm toying about running one because last year no one stepped up here and we missed out.

I don't think I can sell the players in my area on a $40 Vibram pack. I saw a lot of rubber hit the used bins around here after my last VBB and even though Vibram still has a bigger selection of discs compared to DC AR or Trilogy Challenge, etc, the whole inventory to choose from previously was a big part of the appeal IMO. I am very wary of having a lot of extra packs leftover if I decided to run one this year. The insurance thing has never been an issue to me so the PDGA connection just adds more hassle and cost.

I vastly prefer these types of events be as cheap as possible for fundraising purposes so the PDGA can stay out of these as far as I'm concerned.

I don't think I can sell the players in my area on a $40 Vibram pack. I saw a lot of rubber hit the used bins around here after my last VBB and even though Vibram still has a bigger selection of discs compared to DC AR or Trilogy Challenge, etc, the whole inventory to choose from previously was a big part of the appeal IMO. I am very wary of having a lot of extra packs leftover if I decided to run one this year. The insurance thing has never been an issue to me so the PDGA connection just adds more hassle and cost.

I vastly prefer these types of events be as cheap as possible for fundraising purposes so the PDGA can stay out of these as far as I'm concerned.

The great thing about vbb is that the players register online so unless you buy way to many dummy packs for possible day of registration you really shouldn't have any leftovers right?
And once agian vibram is dealing with the pdga and its fees not you so wheres the hassel.
Also if your worried about the cost turning away some players just remind them that its $100 value for $40