• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2017 DGPT Tour Championship

I'd like to see will playing too, but he was pretty good. His knowledge of tactics and disc movement was quite entertaining.

I'm not taking away from his great commentary. And it was nice to see him out there in that capacity. But I want to see him lifting trophies again.

I'm a bit late to the course design discussion, but overall I was ok with it. Mandos, sidewalk OB, and somewhat raised baskets and platforms on a course like this are a necessary evil, but overall they seemed to make sense and weren't overall gimmicky or ridiculous (see: Old Glory at the Hippodrome in North Augusta). Also, for being a ball golf course, I think they used the woods and trees well where they could and let them dictate the course design to a certain extent, rather than force a routing that makes more sense for the bolf course (unless that was just a happy accident, which is cool). Yeah, there were some huge hyzers and a lot of position golf, but overall I found the shots and strategy necessary to be engaging and fun to watch, as well as the trees forcing different shots or altering strategy enough to make it fun.

But thus far I've only watched the first Jomez round, so I'm sure the upper top echelon guys probably shredded it. But still, I liked what I saw.

But thus far I've only watched the first Jomez round, so I'm sure the upper top echelon guys probably shredded it. But still, I liked what I saw.

Actually, no Pro scored better than a 9 under on this course. So I wouldn't say they shredded it. But they did play well on it. I particularly enjoyed this course. It is one of the best ball golf / disc golf courses I have seen in play.

And I know it isn't universal, but I really like the format of the event as well. I almost wish it was a complete bracket from the first round as opposed to scoring for the first 2. We get to see enough straight scoring based events, that something like this is a great change of pace for the end of the year. And rewarding the players that finished well on the tour by only having to throw 2 rounds on this 10K foot course is good. Cause I don't know if it played into it, but all I could think while watching Dana on the last round was that maybe he was just worn out by day 4.

It depends on the golf course. I used to work at a golf course(The Vineyard Cincy, Ohio) that could be a great DG course. Lots of elevation change, ponds, trees. Some of the holes you could play straight up on the course and they would be really good DG holes. In other places, using the off fairway areas could make great holes...

...Imagine the course you could design at Augusta National
sabbern.gif

88 Worlds were played on the vineyard course as well.

I think he wanted her to putt last, as it is more dramatic. Go back and look at Ricky telling Nate to do the same at USDGC.

That may be the case. Whatever it was, it was obvious that Paige did NOT appreciate it one bit. Maybe because she was interrupted just as she was about to putt (which would've been faux pas enough) or she didn't like being told how to go about her business. But she was obviously upset all the way through the post-tourney interview with Terry.

The winner putts last if everyone is close and all the putts are all but assured. That doesn't mean a player should have lay up a make-able putt just to ensure that they putt out last for the show of it. She was 25-30 feet out. It's her turn to putt, let her freaking putt and if she makes it, she makes it.

I get that she had an insurmountable lead so one extra throw wasn't going to cost her, and that Steve is trying to think about the visuals and making things look good, but that's just bad form to do that, especially as she's setting up to putt. If he really wanted her to make the last putt, he should have brought it up earlier. At least then, it's more organic if it happens.

Just an additional thought...this was PDGA sanctioned so I assume that the rounds will be rated. I think she was gunning for a hot round (1000+) and had no interest in laying up. She ran at and made the putt on 17 when she didn't really have to as well. Her -6 was better than two of the five MPO players in the final round. She makes history every time she raises her rating and I bet it's a source of pride for her. Every putt counts in that pursuit.

The winner putts last if everyone is close and all the putts are all but assured. That doesn't mean a player should have lay up a make-able putt just to ensure that they putt out last for the show of it. She was 25-30 feet out. It's her turn to putt, let her freaking putt and if she makes it, she makes it.

I get that she had an insurmountable lead so one extra throw wasn't going to cost her, and that Steve is trying to think about the visuals and making things look good, but that's just bad form to do that, especially as she's setting up to putt. If he really wanted her to make the last putt, he should have brought it up earlier. At least then, it's more organic if it happens.

Just an additional thought...this was PDGA sanctioned so I assume that the rounds will be rated. I think she was gunning for a hot round (1000+) and had no interest in laying up. She ran at and made the putt on 17 when she didn't really have to as well. Her -6 was better than two of the five MPO players in the final round. She makes history every time she raises her rating and I bet it's a source of pride for her. Every putt counts in that pursuit.

It's my understanding that none of this tourney counts for ratings and the women were playing from shorter tees on some holes, so you can't compare the scores to the MPO.

I feel bad for Steve Dodge sometimes-here he is trying to get the pro game elevated and the payouts improved and I see so little help from the people (players) who would benefit the most. The no shows to this tournament would be a case in point. If players want the sport to continue to be fringe and the payouts to be peanuts, then by all means, they should continue with the status quo. If not, they may wish to rethink how things could change to make the events more fan friendly and more compelling to watch.

This blog from last years Utah Open covers a lot of these topics-some of which have already come to pass with obviously positive effects. It's worth considering...

https://infinitediscs.com/blog/what-disc-golf-needs-to-grow-the-sport-sponsors-perspective/

Agreed. In addition, it's just in Paige's DNA to push herself to see just how good she can do. And so she went for putts on 17 and 18 when layups would've been understandable.

As to the conflict with Steve, it looked like he interrupted he just as she was in her routine and about to throw her (final) putt. HUGE faux pas, there. Just speculating, but I suspect THAT bothered her more than whatever he actually said...

That may be the case. Whatever it was, it was obvious that Paige did NOT appreciate it one bit. Maybe because she was interrupted just as she was about to putt (which would've been faux pas enough) or she didn't like being told how to go about her business. But she was obviously upset all the way through the post-tourney interview with Terry.

Great point, and as JC pointed out, bad form. In Steve's favor, it has become the norm. I do think his interest was in honoring her accomplishment so I tend to cut him some slack.

T
Just an additional thought...this was PDGA sanctioned so I assume that the rounds will be rated.

(I know you know this, but others may not) - just because a round / event is sanctioned doesn't mean it will be rated.

Call me a fan of not rating this event. You are trying to win your card, not shoot the best. If I was up 3 or 4 with a few holes to play, I'm laying up from 40 - 50 all day, whereas that's a clear go for it situation.

Similar to how match play isn't rated, I don't think should be either.

(I know you know this, but others may not) - just because a round / event is sanctioned doesn't mean it will be rated.

Call me a fan of not rating this event. You are trying to win your card, not shoot the best. If I was up 3 or 4 with a few holes to play, I'm laying up from 40 - 50 all day, whereas that's a clear go for it situation.

Similar to how match play isn't rated, I don't think should be either.

But that can be true of the final round of any tournament. I took an 8-stroke lead into the final round once, and could have played the entire round cautiously.

Rating rounds in this event would hardly matter. Indeed, pro ratings hardly matter, except for casual conversation. So what if a rating for a round is 30 points off for someone? Over the course of a year it will change his player rating by a fraction of a point---and that of his opponents, even less.

Does anyone know why the Red course was the only one used for the event? In particular I found it surprising that "The World" course with green baskets wasn't used for the event.

Does anyone know why the Red course was the only one used for the event? In particular I found it surprising that "The World" course with green baskets wasn't used for the event.

At a guess...pros don't really like playing multiple courses in an event, especially at a new (to them) venue. One course means fewer holes to practice and figure out in the short amount of time they have between their arrival and the start of play.

This is a philosophy that I know Steve Dodge buys into wholeheartedly. Pretty sure the only DGPT events this year that were played on multiple courses were the Memorial and the GMC, and I think those are both due to tradition (and most of the pros have played them before).

At a guess...pros don't really like playing multiple courses in an event, especially at a new (to them) venue. One course means fewer holes to practice and figure out in the short amount of time they have between their arrival and the start of play.

This is a philosophy that I know Steve Dodge buys into wholeheartedly. Pretty sure the only DGPT events this year that were played on multiple courses were the Memorial and the GMC, and I think those are both due to tradition (and most of the pros have played them before).

I like that a couple events have used different basket locations for different rounds, this year. Though, I think those events may have been NT not DGPT? PFDO was one I think? USDGC was another. If the DGPT is gonna continue to do the single course format I think using different locations should be used where applicable. Not necessarily on every hole but a few mixed in throughout the course would be cool. Maple Hill is an obvious candidate. Idlewild has several holes with multiple locations but most haven't been used in years.

Last edited:
This is a myth. Many sponsorship levels depends on things like ratings.

Individual round ratings, or a player's rating?

Because an event like this could only have a miniscule effect on an individual's player rating.

At most, that strikes me as a tail-wagging-the-dog problem.

Individual round ratings, or a player's rating?

Because an event like this could only have a miniscule effect on an individual's player rating.

At most, that strikes me as a tail-wagging-the-dog problem.

TYpically it's the player's rating.

I agree - this is a sponsor issue, not a PDGA issue.

Latest posts