• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2017 Glass Blown Open

I strongly disagree. You might be given lots of choices on a wide open hole, but the majority of people are throwing the hyzer. Just watch past events here. If you don't hit your shot just right, you're still left with a relatively easy upshot.

Now play on a wooded course, you don't hit your line, chances are you won't have such an easy upshot. That to me is a better challenge for someone's mental game. Throwing a 300' shot and then a 150' lay up is not a challenge in my mind.

Many pros are on record that they threw literally the same disc over and over again during this year's world's. So I respect your opinion but disagree.

And I disagree with you vehemently. And with data to prove you are wrong. It seems as though Daniel, you have a thing against Emporia and the GBO courses. But I tell you, Olpe Lake, Emporia Country Club, and Peter Pan are interesting -- and I've played them, not just watched on a computer screen. Saying "you prefer" wooded courses is one thing -- everyone "prefers" a course that caters to his/her own skills. To call them boring is something totally different. And the "boring hyzer" argument is hogwash. The actual stats of the top pros, from Worlds 2016, show differently. For example, at ECC, the RHBH pros off the tee averaged this --

Here's the data from the final round at ECC for the top three players (from an earlier post):

FRONT NINE: Anny/Str-Flat/Hyzer
Ricky 0 / 5 / 4
Paul 0 / 5 / 4
Nikko 2 / 2 / 5

BACK NINE: (counting Nikko's rollers as Anhyzer)
Ricky 3 / 1 / 5
Paul 3 / 0 / 6
Nikko 4 / 0 / 5

So it appears to me that there were about half hyzer, and half not. DATA -- not what you said which is "I heard" a bunch of pros say 'blah.blah.blah...' and if you wanna come out there in the Kansas wind, you'll see who not boring they are...

Wow this filled up fast. I registered for the Advanced Senior Grandmaster divisions. I filled the form and submitted it at 6:05. I got in at number 17 out of 20 spots. I've never played there but I'm very excited to be going.

Does anyone know what's in the players pack?

Anyone who complains that the Emporia courses are boring has clearly never played them. I've played CC nearly 10 tournament rounds over the years, and I've still yet to shoot a decent round. It's ****ing hard.

Yep, I'm aware of all that stuff.

I guess I would rather support my local scene and play on interesting courses.

Getting more DG stuff, throwing a hundred hyzers and spending hundreds of dollars is not offset by some socializing in my mind.

I just don't like the current trend of catering to more and more AM's at these type of events by adding boring courses.

I guess it's just indicative of what the AM's want. Bribe me with a huge players pack, lots of social hour/networking junk and watered down disc golf.

Good for DD and others, but it's not my cup of tea.

And good decision then on your part. You don't have to play. But I Obviously there's over a thousand golfers who disagree with you, plus we've yet to see how many will sign up for the caddy or spectator packages, if those are offered again.

Yep, I'm aware of all that stuff.

I guess I would rather support my local scene and play on interesting courses.

Getting more DG stuff, throwing a hundred hyzers and spending hundreds of dollars is not offset by some socializing in my mind.

I just don't like the current trend of catering to more and more AM's at these type of events by adding boring courses.

I guess it's just indicative of what the AM's want. Bribe me with a huge players pack, lots of social hour/networking junk and watered down disc golf.

Good for DD and others, but it's not my cup of tea.

And good decision then on your part. You don't have to play. But obviously there are over a thousand golfers who disagree with you, plus we've yet to see how many will sign up for the caddy or spectator packages, if those are offered again.

I last played the GBO in 2011. It was around 350 folks that year and as far as I was concerned getting too big to be enjoyable then. I've only been back as a visitor since. But the real selling point of the GBO of today is the festival experience, not the courses. The whole community gets behind the event.

This is something I would hope that inspires people who come to Emporia to perhaps try to emulate in their neck of the woods, because much like music festivals, there is demand for this sort of experience in our sport. Granted, there aren't a lot of small cities with enough courses available, much less one with a major retailer headquartered there.

Why do AM's love playing on such wide open, hyzer-yawn courses?

I wouldn't say it's AM's causing this. One problem with trying to do tourneys at more wooded courses is the whole "grow the sport" crowd. Notice Fountain Hills, Winthrop, etc get used often for major events because they can actually hold the people, provide parking, and can set up things like streaming and video, I live in NC and certainly enjoying hitting some wooded golf but in terms of logistics it would be a nightmare. Fairway golf can be challenging it's just many of the US course designers have to work within the constraints that a parks dept. isn't going to spend tax money just to build a course that only appeals to 1000 rated players, look at golf outside the US, Jussi has done some great things with this style of course design in Europe, Australia. and Asia. Maybe one of the companies should buy a struggling ball golf course and redesign it could charge for admission during the rest of the year, I would so love to see the USDGC moved away from Winthrop and the ridiculous ropes.

Ams get to play a wider variety of courses at Glass Blown than the Pros got to play at Worlds last year. The Open Men only played Jones East and Emporia Country Club. Both of these are big, open courses with extra OB ropes added. The Open Men did not play Peter Pan, Eagle Olpe, Jones West or the Municipal Country Club.

I have played all of the courses for GBO in Emporia. I wouldn't characterize the courses as boring, but they are not super diverse either. Playing in the wind with disc eating water hazards provides plenty of challenge. While there are not any "wooded" courses, it is not all "wide open" either. There are plenty of holes with enough vegetation to require throwers to hit specific lines and landing zones.

If you got in to Glass Blown Open, book your hotel NOW!

If you got shut out of Glass Blown, you may want to look into playing Bowling Green Am Championships. I went to both events last year and personally, I think the Bowling Green event offers a better variety of courses and event atmosphere. BGAC uses 10 different courses. There is an entire week of events at the BG area courses leading up the big show. You can play lots of new courses and meet up with lots of other players. Both communities welcome disc golfers and the fly marts and the player packages are awesome at both events. However, the community of Bowling Green is more than double the size of Emporia so there are many more lodging options, restaurants and bars in BG. I felt kind of "stuck" in Emporia as it is pretty isolated. YMMV.

Anyone know why there are 9 "invited" players for GBO?

I even know one of the dudes and can't figure our if they won some kind of drawing or were awarded a slot based on another tournament. I'll ask him for sure but didn't know about any reserved spots for invited players.

And I got in, so I'm not upset... just curious.

Anyone know why there are 9 "invited" players for GBO?

I even know one of the dudes and can't figure our if they won some kind of drawing or were awarded a slot based on another tournament. I'll ask him for sure but didn't know about any reserved spots for invited players.

And I got in, so I'm not upset... just curious.
I believe they were the ones that bought the 2016 gbo spectators package which included an entry into gbo 2017

Sent from my Alcatel_6055U using Tapatalk

well...so much for getting in this year. I really wanted to play this instead of BG Ams.

So the NT Registration opens tomorrow for players rated 970+, but lots of touring pros still haven't registered. Paul, Ricky, Nikko, etc.

What gives? They've had a week (or two) to get it done?

With the GBO right around the corner, does anyone have a guess on what will be in the players pack?
I'm so looking forward to playing this year. My friends and I are so excited to see everything Emporia has to offer.

So... what's your best guesses?

With the GBO right around the corner, does anyone have a guess on what will be in the players pack?
I'm so looking forward to playing this year. My friends and I are so excited to see everything Emporia has to offer.

So... what's your best guesses?

MY best guess is "you never know." It's like that new TV show, Trial & Error. They haven't even told the cast if he did it or not.

They have updated the GBO app with course changes for this year (differences from last year's video reviews.). Oops, I guess it's on the GBO Facebook page. Looks like four courses have changed.

Last edited: