• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2017 Konopiste Open

Jomez coverage is so great. Love the footage. Some of the commentating is rough but other than that im happy. Just keep Avery and Eagle off the mic please.
I love avoiding dgcr and waiting til the vids come out to see the action. I can watch a whole tournament in 3hrs. Its been an amazing year for tourney video.

Hate to say this...because I REALLY like AJ as a player, person, instructor, etc, etc. But his days as a commentator should probably come to an end. I mean..Simon...with English not even as his primary language...just sounds so much more comfortable in front of the mic.

Simon has been speaking English his entire life. The only thing he struggles with are some idioms, which come from not being fully immersed in our culture as a child. But Avery's style is what it is. I bet you that he talks with his hands the whole time he's commentating. There's less fluidity in his speech pattern than you hear from Sexton, or Terry Miller. Even so, he's fine. Having Avery, Ricky, and all those guys on the mic just give the broadcasts more flavor, and I'm glad they always mix it up.

People just need to complain about something(Like me for instance complaining about the vids taking too long. Sorry to Spin and Jomez. It wasnt my intention to bash you, I was just frustrated waiting on what looked to be a great final9. And trying to wait three or four days without getting spoilered isn't fun). In our major sports we complain that athletes never say anything controversial, then complain when they do say something controversial. Paul saying he left the door open isn't controversial, and you know why? Because he did. He threw a couple bad shots at the wrong times and Ricky made him pay for it.

People just need to complain about something(Like me for instance complaining about the vids taking too long. Sorry to Spin and Jomez. It wasnt my intention to bash you, I was just frustrated waiting on what looked to be a great final9. And trying to wait three or four days without getting spoilered isn't fun). In our major sports we complain that athletes never say anything controversial, then complain when they do say something controversial. Paul saying he left the door open isn't controversial, and you know why? Because he did. He threw a couple bad shots at the wrong times and Ricky made him pay for it.

I have a complaint. I want to complain about brutal apologizing for complaining. He did it in such a polite way that I'm offended. Too much politeness, too much politeness.

hq.gif
az.gif

Good tournament. I also managed to avoid coming in here until watching the end. I don't think Paul looked bad, other than missing some of the shots and putts we know he can get. My main disappointment was not having more big US players. I would have loved to see Philo, Jerm, ... others... play 3 rounds on such a beautiful course. Both Ricky and Paul left a door open for someone else to shine, but most of the guys with that ability weren't there. As a side note, the course reminded me of Milo, though with only one or two "signature holes."

I tried to stay out of this thread to keep the suspense, only to have the results spoiled by spintv themselves with their stupid champagne shower thumbnail on youtube...And that still bothered me less than Avery's robotic commentary

Hate to say this...because I REALLY like AJ as a player, person, instructor, etc, etc. But his days as a commentator should probably come to an end. I mean..Simon...with English not even as his primary language...just sounds so much more comfortable in front of the mic.

Totally agree. I have nothing against AJ as a person. But his style of commentary just does not work when he has another commentator with him. Anyone else. Vanessa VanDyke (sp?) (she won the FPO side) was a commentator, and I would've loved to have heard more from her, but with Avery's clipped sentences, she didn't get anything in.

Then the Simon commentary... brutal lack of chemistry between them, and once again, Avery's clipped style of speaking just doesn't mesh well with people who "tawk" normal.

Maybe Avery can work on it, get coaching, get his style changed... but if he can't make an adjustment, it's probably time for new commentators, like SexyBeast...

(and I speak as someone who has taught stock options at seminars...)

Innova learned from their mistake with the 'hat guy science' video and promptly deleted it. They need to do the same with Avery as a commentator on lead cards.

A rotation of Nate, Paul, Big Jerm and Simon is perfect. All 4 are solid at commentary. I like Eagle too, but he just doesn't quite have it on the commentary side.

Am i the only one who loves AJ as a commentator?

I should say in fairness though that I watch all of the broadcasts blindfolded and his recounting of exactly what is happening on the screen is invaluable to me.

Am i the only one who loves AJ as a commentator?

I should say in fairness though that I watch all of the broadcasts blindfolded and his recounting of exactly what is happening on the screen is invaluable to me.

So far, you're the first I've heard love his commentary.

I especially love how Paul makes an errant drive and Avery is all in a nature haze talking about green leaves and flowers! :doh:

I gave up watching the women's card, I couldn't take his chatter any more.

I'm going to pile on and agree that Avery was really bad. He has a solid speaking voice so I think he has potential, but he really needs to work on his style and delivery.

He is definitely over thinking it, causing those long awkward pauses while he formulates what to say. I appreciate that he is going for a professional play by play style, but he is trying to blend it with sports center highlight style delivery and he is just not pulling it off.

He had no chemistry with Simon, and I think that was because he was hogging the mic. His delayed play by play would run into the time that Simon should have been adding analysis. Avery treated Simon more like a guest that was only there to add a little insight to his own shots.

I think the traditional play by play and analyst combo can work for disc golf but Avery needs to get a lot better. He needs to deliver his play by play much smoother and more concisely and then give time for the analyst to do their thing. In the meantime I will just hope for more Sexton commentary.

A rotation of Nate, Paul, Big Jerm and Simon is perfect. All 4 are solid at commentary. I like Eagle too, but he just doesn't quite have it on the commentary side.

Agree on the four names mentioned. As to Eagle, I think he could learn to be a good commentator if he wants to. Some are naturals at it (Nate Sexton), some are practiced at it by now (Paul McBeth), and with more practice and confidence-building, Eagle can do very well.

So far, you're the first I've heard love his commentary.

I especially love how Paul makes an errant drive and Avery is all in a nature haze talking about green leaves and flowers! :doh:

I gave up watching the women's card, I couldn't take his chatter any more.

I think you missed my joke but that's ok. we can still be friends.

I didn't think Avery was too bad but apparently I have much lower expectations for DG vids than most folks on here.

I think it's no coincidence that the majority of commentary was done by Discmania guys, with the only exception being Innova (Sexy Beasy for round 2). Avery was there, and they might have over-utilized him for commentary. But at least they got the videos out. I'd like to see Ricky do commentary sometime, but I don't think he'd do any better than Simon.

Agree on the four names mentioned. As to Eagle, I think he could learn to be a good commentator if he wants to. Some are naturals at it (Nate Sexton), some are practiced at it by now (Paul McBeth), and with more practice and confidence-building, Eagle can do very well.

I've had Eagle on a couple times, I always thought he was great on commentary. :confused:

Latest posts