• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2017 USDGC

tom12003

Eagle Member
Less than 2 weeks for the Winthrop Gold course--Sept. 29 for first round of USDGC doubles, Oct. 2 for the qualifier play-in, and Oct. 4-7 for the main event. Full steam course prep is underway. Players already showing up for practice. If you can, be there.

Well I can't wait to see it. Wish I could be there!

Last year was the first year I've missed since my first in 2009.
Weather was just horrible, and I had just moved (so much to do...)
Planning on being there again this year, LORD willing.

Several great things about attending the USDGC:
1. Pro Shop, they always have some limited-run discs available and you can get just about anything Innova makes. If you don't see it, ask for it and sometimes they've been known to have it the next day.
2. Charlotte courses. Need I say more?
3. So many disc golfers in one place, and quite a few DGCR peeps.
4. Spectator Sunday. Until you've seen disc golf at that level and then get to play it your self, you don't have any idea how good those Pros are.
5. Support Disc Golf spectating.
6. Up close and personal. You'll get to see most all those pros from Jomez and McFly and SmashBoxx and even some from CCDG. Obviously, respect their space during practice and during play. Still, most of them will interact if you are polite and respectful. I've never seen any of them refuse to autograph a disc, again, as long as you are polite and respectful. (Am I being too repetitive? Always be polite and respectful)
7. Vacation large or on the cheap. Charlotte area and Rock Hill have budget and pricey options available for food and lodging.

Great time at a fantastic venue.

Last year was the first year I've missed since my first in 2009.
Weather was just horrible, and I had just moved (so much to do...)
Planning on being there again this year, LORD willing.

Several great things about attending the USDGC:
1. Pro Shop, they always have some limited-run discs available and you can get just about anything Innova makes. If you don't see it, ask for it and sometimes they've been known to have it the next day.
2. Charlotte courses. Need I say more?
3. So many disc golfers in one place, and quite a few DGCR peeps.
4. Spectator Sunday. Until you've seen disc golf at that level and then get to play it your self, you don't have any idea how good those Pros are.
5. Support Disc Golf spectating.
6. Up close and personal. You'll get to see most all those pros from Jomez and McFly and SmashBoxx and even some from CCDG. Obviously, respect their space during practice and during play. Still, most of them will interact if you are polite and respectful. I've never seen any of them refuse to autograph a disc, again, as long as you are polite and respectful. (Am I being too repetitive? Always be polite and respectful)
7. Vacation large or on the cheap. Charlotte area and Rock Hill have budget and pricey options available for food and lodging.

Great time at a fantastic venue.

#4 is my first reason for wanting to get there some day - and play Winthrop Gold. After that spectating and seeing players and huge crowds are right up there.

I don't see any information on this on the website....other than it being mentioned on the schedule.

I believe there's a first-come, first-served sign up for tee times at the pro shop during the tournament. Cost is $10 per person.

This would be the thing - I'd travel from Minnesota to see the event, but also would be nice to know I have the opportunity to play, being a main reason for travelling there..

This would be the thing - I'd travel from Minnesota to see the event, but also would be nice to know I have the opportunity to play, being a main reason for travelling there..

You can always come early and play on Monday while trying to qualify.

1) can't take a week off for frisbee...
2) wouldn't qualify lol - my 940 probably couldn't reach the pin on more than half the holes

1) can't take a week off for frisbee...
2) wouldn't qualify lol - my 940 probably couldn't reach the pin on more than half the holes

If you're going to be there anyway, there's no reason not to try to sign up for Sunday. They run tee times for most of the day, so it's not likely you'll get shut out.

No one is reaching the pin on half those holes, no matter their rating. I get the time off reason, but even a 940 player can put a qualifying score up on that course (par-ish). Just got to keep it in bounds and make your putts. Easier said then done, of course.

Tuesday, with over 10 days to go, and all the top ropes (visuals) are up. Starting the 4 or so miles of bottom string (the real OB or hazard line) tomorrow (this is when I claim that I kneel more in one week than a dozen priests do in their life times).

Winthrop changes every year with tweaks of OB and other features. Largest change this year appears to be hole 9--the tee pad changed from last year (back to where it was for the previous half dozen years which brings the mando into play) and it is now all RED rope (OB with a new dastardly drop zone, last year it was all HAZARD rope). This will definitely keep me busy as I have spotted this hole since 2011; glad to see the change this year.

Tuesday, with over 10 days to go, and all the top ropes (visuals) are up. Starting the 4 or so miles of bottom string (the real OB or hazard line) tomorrow (this is when I claim that I kneel more in one week than a dozen priests do in their life times).

Winthrop changes every year with tweaks of OB and other features. Largest change this year appears to be hole 9--the tee pad changed from last year (back to where it was for the previous half dozen years which brings the mando into play) and it is now all RED rope (OB with a new dastardly drop zone, last year it was all HAZARD rope). This will definitely keep me busy as I have spotted this hole since 2011; glad to see the change this year.

Anxiously awaiting the 2017 CaddyBook

Well considering I am from Finland and father of a 2,5 year old I probably wont make it there anytime soon. But one can dream. I will surely buy the first round for anyone wanting to make a DG pilgrimage to Finland :hfive:

I may hold you to it. My wife likes international travel. We've not gone that far North yet, but I want to. We will see. Of course, I want to come there for the Neste Rally. Hardly disc golf season.

Latest posts