• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2017 USDGC

Was it really a foot fault? Classy if so. Not so classy if it wasn't.

I do hate this rule though. Getting an advantage for a foot fault. Then again, given the surfaces we play on I would hate for their to be no warning. Lose, lose I guess

Last edited:
Philo is pure class act. Just witnessed him call foot fault on Koivu on #5 after he was given OB flag. Allowing for a re-throw.

Did he make the call after the OB flag was given? PDGA rules say you have to make the call "promptly". Waiting to see the outcome is not prompt.

I do hate this rule though. Getting an advantage for a foot fault. Then again, given the surfaces we play on I would hate for their to be no warning. Lose lose I guess

What is the advantage? That he gets to discard his OB throw? Big deal. If all faults were called properly, there'd be just as many if not more "good" throws that get discarded as well and it would be a wash overall.

However, I do think that the warning should go away. Make the first violation a penalty and you totally do away with the concern of giving players a free do-over. Bring back the self-call while we're at it. No reason honest players shouldn't be able to call themselves for a violation.

What is the advantage? That he gets to discard his OB throw? Big deal. If all faults were called properly, there'd be just as many if not more "good" throws that get discarded as well and it would be a wash overall.

However, I do think that the warning should go away. Make the first violation a penalty and you totally do away with the concern of giving players a free do-over. Bring back the self-call while we're at it. No reason honest players shouldn't be able to call themselves for a violation.

Yes. And yes, it's a big deal. likely 2 strokes of a big deal. That's a big IF. Like you said get rid of the warning and the issue is fixed, but if all foot faults in disc golf were really called it would be a game changer. Especially in poor weather on courses with elevation. I'm not sure I would want to watch a battle of stand stills. Maybe give the player more margin for error left to right if we are going to due away with warnings.

Watching Sexton and Koling play 9 and 10 is some seriously boring golf. I know they make it look easy, but I'm not sure I like those holes. The layup should not be "risky" but it could be a little bit harder. Nit picky I guess. I do like that more players seem to be going for the green though.

Yes. And yes, it's a big deal. likely 2 strokes of a big deal. That's a big IF. Like you said get rid of the warning and the issue is fixed, but if all foot faults in disc golf were really called it would be a game changer. Especially in poor weather on courses with elevation. I'm not sure I would want to watch a battle of stand stills. Maybe give the player more margin for error left to right if we are going to due away with warnings.

Calling every (or even most) foot fault shouldn't be a game changer, though. It should be the way the game already is. It is only perceived as a game changer because for far too long, players have been too lazy/scared/resistant to actually follow the rules.

The result of an illegal throw is really irrelevant. If faults were properly called, the result of the throw more often than not wouldn't even be known when the call is made.

Calling every (or even most) foot fault shouldn't be a game changer, though. It should be the way the game already is. It is only perceived as a game changer because for far too long, players have been too lazy/scared/resistant to actually follow the rules.

The result of an illegal throw is really irrelevant. If faults were properly called, the result of the throw more often than not wouldn't even be known when the call is made.

Not disagreeing. But it's not a "perceived" game changer. It would in fact be a game changer. As you point out, players have not followed the rules properly for decades.

Poor analogy - but let's pretend they called every hold in the NFL. GAME CHANGER, but in a much worse way.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know how many feet of OB rope is on the course? Wouldn't be surprised if there's close to a mile of that stuff.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know how many feet of OB rope is on the course? Wouldn't be surprised if there's close to a mile of that stuff.
Pretty sure more than 2 miles. Consider that the course itself is almost two miles. It would be interesting to add up the total length of OB boundaries on the course considering a good chunk is also parking lot, road and water boundaries.

Any news from the field on what happened to Andrew Presnell?

He got a huge cut on his finger yesterday. Super glued it today instead of getting stitches to try and make it through but it busted open again and he decided to DNF and get stitches.

Course record

I know the course is tweaked each year. But what is the current record for Winthrop Gold? Sexton and Ricky are completely shredding it today. Too bad we all have to wait until tomorrow to watch this unbelievable round. I really wish it was live.

Latest posts