• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2017 USDGC

No one seems to want to answer this question:

Wouldn't a hazard to the right of the pin achieve the same goals of making the OB on the left more in play with the ivy on the fence down?

Better yet, it wouldn't have this silly look and now you have an obstacle that could stop a L to R shot that should be 20 - 30 right (AKA in the area they are trying to avoid people from putting from).

I'll stick to my original point. I get the concept just don't understand the execution at all.
They would just have to run the hazard along the fence line all the way down to the basket area. They already stretched it way longer this year than last year

No one seems to want to answer this question:

Wouldn't a hazard to the right of the pin achieve the same goals of making the OB on the left more in play with the ivy on the fence down?

Apologies MTL, The answer to your question was semi-buried in the previous post. Hazard would certainly achieve the goal of making the OB on the left more in play, but Hazard would be a full-throw consequence. We were seeking a partial-throw consequence that approximated the partial-throw consequence of the former overhanging limbs.

Apologies MTL, The answer to your question was semi-buried in the previous post. Hazard would certainly achieve the goal of making the OB on the left more in play, but Hazard would be a full-throw consequence. We were seeking a partial-throw consequence that approximated the partial-throw consequence of the former overhanging limbs.

Thanks -

I'll admit, I've sat here for a good 5 minutes thinking about this and completely see what you are saying. Prior to this, people on the right would probably complete the hole in 1.5 throws - meaning half make the putt and the other half two putt. And I agree, a hazard would increase that to probably 2.3 (more makes, because its wide open, but you are adding a throw).

Thanks for your comment

Exactly what I was thinking... I like this over the hazard all day long as there isn't an automatic penalty.

And as for experimentation... the USDGC has a long standing tradition of introducing and testing out new concepts. This shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone.... other than the timing. I'd have hoped this was in place a a few weeks back, but that's the only drawback I see.

Can't wait to play it this weekend.

I'm coming down to spectate on Wednesday and Thursday this year. Never been before. Any advice on spectating? Is it standard to stick with one card for an entire round, or is it easy to skip around from card to card without being intrusive?

Any other tips, including breweries, local courses, etc. would be appreciated!

Psyched!

It's pretty easy to wander between cards without being intrusive. Just pay attention in all directions. Among other things, there's a road system that goes between holes.

There are also plenty of spots where you can stand still and watch multiple holes. Including the clubhouse.

My favorite method of spectating there is to walking against the flow of traffic---I see more holes and more play that way. Until the lead card tees; then follow them.

Any other tips, including breweries,

Legal Remedy in Rock Hill is pretty bad.

Full Spectrum in Fort Mill isn't great.

The real monsters are in Charlotte. OMB and NoDa are kings.
- OMB is classic German styles done extremely well. Note that this doesn't suit modern-day craft lovers looking for IPAs and crazy stuff. They have a full food menu, and a huge grounds.
- NoDa does all styles and does them extremely well. Permanent food truck.

Other thoughts:
- Birdsong, Triple C, Legion, Sycamore, and Resident Culture are all high-quality, both in beer and in place.
- NoDa Par 4 session IPA has a frisbee basket on the can, and is a pretty good IPA for being only 4.0%.
- The best packaged local beers you can find on shelves right now:
NoDa Hop Drop 'n Roll IPA
NoDa Coco Loco Porter
NoDa Gordgeous (pumpkin seasonal)
NoDa Roaring Riot Rye Pale (Carolina Panthers seasonal)
Birdsong Jalapeno Pale (pepper flavor but not spicy)
OMB Mecktoberfest (okto seasonal)

Obstacle Nearness

Harold,

Was consideration given to making the obstacle nearer to the fence to punish the specific shot that the bushes impeded and not just everything that lands right of the basket? If so, what were the pros and cons that led to this closer obstacle?

What else is new?

My mom's got breast cancer?

I dunno, it just seems like if you wanted to replicate the effect of those low limbs that hung over the fence it would make more sense to hang a clothesline across the lowest point the leaves were.

Harold,

Was consideration given to making the obstacle nearer to the fence to punish the specific shot that the bushes impeded and not just everything that lands right of the basket? If so, what were the pros and cons that led to this closer obstacle?

We did consider making the obstacle closer to the fence. An array of posts near the fence seemed like it would have taken a lot more posts and effort. In our minds it seemed that this might actually increase the backstop effect instead of lessen it. We also considered a lattice fence raised a couple of feet off the ground to allow the discs to slide or roll under. The raised lattice would have given an advantage to the taller players. The lattice would also have forced the players to throw some kind of vertical or upside down shot, and that seemed like too much of a departure.

The close in array lessens the backstop potential. The close in posts also tend to form a single integrated object with the target. The close-in array also creates some curved putting that is such a wonderful element of golf's putting without stymieing anyone or changing the normal action of the disc or the target.

~ Harold

From Facebook, hole 2:

yKsVbzB.jpg

Chuck has throw around the idea of asymmetric baskets that are harder to putt on from one direction than another.

Reese Sweeney(sp) (Fly 18 pads) made these 15 years ago. He had some on some bolf courses.

Legal Remedy in Rock Hill is pretty bad.

Full Spectrum in Fort Mill isn't great.

The real monsters are in Charlotte. OMB and NoDa are kings.
- OMB is classic German styles done extremely well. Note that this doesn't suit modern-day craft lovers looking for IPAs and crazy stuff. They have a full food menu, and a huge grounds.
- NoDa does all styles and does them extremely well. Permanent food truck.

Other thoughts:
- Birdsong, Triple C, Legion, Sycamore, and Resident Culture are all high-quality, both in beer and in place.
- NoDa Par 4 session IPA has a frisbee basket on the can, and is a pretty good IPA for being only 4.0%.
- The best packaged local beers you can find on shelves right now:
NoDa Hop Drop 'n Roll IPA
NoDa Coco Loco Porter
NoDa Gordgeous (pumpkin seasonal)
NoDa Roaring Riot Rye Pale (Carolina Panthers seasonal)
Birdsong Jalapeno Pale (pepper flavor but not spicy)
OMB Mecktoberfest (okto seasonal)

Reading this really makes me wish it hasn't been 2+ years since I've visited the QC.

Harold,

Thank you for your response.

What was the consideration given to the well placed shot on the right, but not in the bushes, that is now impacted by these obstacles?

Harold,

What was the consideration given to the well placed shot on the right, but not in the bushes, that is now impacted by these obstacles?

I don't want to speak for Harold, but a well placed shot to the right really isn't impacted at all. There is plenty of room to make a putt. Maybe you have to straddle, but that should be in your arsenal anyhow if you want to be elite.

Exactly what I was thinking... I like this over the hazard all day long as there isn't an automatic penalty.

And as for experimentation... the USDGC has a long standing tradition of introducing and testing out new concepts. This shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone.... other than the timing. I'd have hoped this was in place a a few weeks back, but that's the only drawback I see.

Can't wait to play it this weekend.

But doesnt it stop some discs from flaring right to the fence or left to OB so the scoring is a wash because you reduce 25-30ft putts or OB strokes. Also a hazard along the fence isnt a direct tradeoff... just make it half of the width of where the trees used to be so you dont get the full penalty tradeoff. People headed for OB or to areas long where they might miss a putt absolutely will now get stopped and have a drop in. From a right to left perspective, if you are good enough putter, these posts might actually make you be more aggressive because you have a chance of having a drop in when you approach from the parking lot.

Harold,

We considered the right side to be the safer side as it is away from the OB. The shot to the right is still there, but it will just require an adjustment to the putt - either straddle or an angled putt. The posts seems like a reasonable course management trade off for playing a safer shot.

~ Harold

Is a shot on the right side "well-placed"?

Isn't that the point---that the green has a good side, and a bad side?

Latest posts