• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] 2018 Ace Race disc?

I have some extra Ace Race Mantis laying around if you wanted to buy some.

Great disc. IMO, the Ace Race is better than the production version.
IMO they're better for some shots/lines, but not necessarily better, period.

The AR and production Mantis fill completely different slots. One's decidedly OS, and the other is stable to somewhat US.

Noodle arms will get more distance from the production runs. Power throwers might get more use from the AR run.

Last edited:
kermur:
Default Super (unpredictably) understable
I got two of the 2018 Ace Race discs this past weekend (South Mountain Ace Race, Bethlehem, PA) and boy are these suckers understable... I appreciate a good undertstable mid, but this disc was too unpredictable. ...

Sometime it flies straight like a beat Roc, other times it turns over with low power and never comes back. If you throw it with high any, it will sometimes fade back, landing softly in the chains, other times it never fades back....

Echoes my experience at my local AR. Watching my pals and some very good players just miss and miss and miss ...and miss...and miss and miss.......

That disc was all over the place.

I thought I got lighter ones (mistake?). The DC rim sticker said 155-159 on both of them, but when I got home, one was 170g and one was 160. (Both are for sale on Ebay at the moment...)

I would have been feeling demoralized if EVERYONE on my card hadn't been having such a tough go. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I gave it a shot !! (36 to be exact!)

The pics and descriptions do make me think it is an US Zone. Can't wait to try it out. If it flies like a Comet, as some have said, then it makes sense that some people struggle with it. Comets are very sensitive to very slight release angle changes and the flight numbers can be all over the place depending on how it's thrown. I personally love throwing Comets so I'm hoping that will translate well with this disc.

Maby this disc is the US Wasp? The Pictures the disc looks like a Wasp that is slightly taller but modified without a bead. Could be the Meteor replacement. Seems most of the newer Ace Race Discs are Replacements though the Sting is not a a Impact replacement as Discraft says, that goes to the Glide. Not sure if the Glide was ever an Ace Race disc?

So what's the final word on this disc? Looks like I'm going to the local event in mid October, if there are still openings. Super glad it is a mid this year, too bad it sounds touchy and US. Probably go early and get max weight and flat.

MJ describes it as a shorter Comet

I would agree with MJ. Feels like a buzzz flies like a Comet with less glide. I can see the zone ss comparisons if we say zone = avenger then ar18 = Avenger ss.

Overall very fun disc to throw and IMO could be a good buzzz compliment

I haven't used one but from all the reviews I've heard its super flippy/touchy and most ppl didn't like it. meh.

I've thrown a couple, and this pretty much sums it up.
It's slower than an Archer or a Stratus, so it doesn't take much to turn it over... but it doesn't feel as controllable to me as those do.

I think I can more predictably get the type of lines it would be good on with some combo of Archer (or Stratus) + my APX... discs I already have a good feel for ...hence I can't picture it in my bag. But that's just me.

Still have one if any one else would like to trade a 2017 Sting for it:
(173-174) lavender w/ red foil stamp in near new condition.

I could see it being flippy, but with less power it became a lot more controllable. The biggest thing I noticed is that when set on a line, it tended to hold it. It didn't matter weather it was left or right, just held it. We had one guy tomahawking the hell out of it, not super long range but fun to watch.

yeah, flippy if thrown hard.

i liked the plastic. good grip, kinda like ti and esp had a baby. i do wonder how it will season.

I got a couple yesterday and have been messing with them, I'm not a power thrower (300' Teebird backhand and 250' forehand with a PD or similar).

The closest thing I can compare them to is a Chief with a little less rim depth. For me it's longer than a Pure but not as far as a Comet, I feel like I can work it a little more than a Pure, which for me will get on one line and stay there. It will flip with power and even roll over from a hard hyzer flip for me. Powered down I could get it to hyzer out and even hold a nice forward pushing steady hyzer. I lust came in from screwing with it in the back yard and I was having a lot of fun with it on short forehand hyzer flips, maybe 125' flips up and finishes gentle, was pretty cool in that I couldn't really get that down with my Chief.

Don't know if it helps but there's my 2 cents

*edit
I also really like the plastic, it's ESP that felt kinda like baseline plastic, real similar to a baseline Colt my girlfriend recently bought. I'd like to have more discs in the same blend if possible.

Last edited: