• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2018 Competition Rules Changes

As an MA2-MA3 player I prefer the mixed first round cards but like the second round to be within divisions. I played on a mixed card the second round as a junior, with grandmasters who were playing different tees. I knew one of the guys and the other guy had his own way of having things done (out of his eyesite when putting for example). It was one of my favorite rounds ever, not just because I hit an ace, but because I learned a lot from the better players. I think that it is a great idea especially when there is a good amount of people who are from more than 2 hours away.

While the current state leaves much to be desired I would be opposed to any system which forces players to "go pro". Most of the issues now are resultant from the fact that way too many people do it already (myself included) which imo is still partially hangover from the early days of the game when Pros pre-existed Ams.

If the pro tours can ever gain any real traction (admittedly questionable at best- and by traction i mean money coming in from outside the game) I would like to see an upper tier (more or less NT) of events open to only those who qualify in some manner as "tour pros" and a lower tier of events (more or less C tier) from which those players are excluded with another tier or 2 in between. Accepting cash in the lower tier would not force a player into pro, accepting cash in a tier open to the tour players would. There are probably a lot of holes in this theory as I am more or less making it up on the spot.

Until there is money coming in from outside the sport in a significant fashion there will always be a demand for players to fill out the field as "donors" whether they are 920 players at your local C tier or 980 players at USDGC.

I agree 100% with this Idea if the sport could gain traction of big sponsors outside the Disc Golf companies. Preferably a company that is not going to make disc golf discs and baskets like say Nike might do or a company like Viberam is already doing making discs and they make hiking and workboot rubber as well for the companies and the five finger shoes.