• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2018 PDGA Charlotte Am Worlds Tour!!!!

Happy New Year DGCR!!! I wanted to take a few minutes to post up some exciting news, Disc Golf Ventures LLC has recently partnered with the Charlotte Disc Golf Club to provide a tour of the Charlotte courses over 2017. We will be hosting several events on the courses that will be used in the 2018 Am Worlds, beginning next Saturday January 7th, and continuing almost every weekend in the Queen City. Some of the courses that we have listed below may or may not be used in 2018 Worlds, the CDGC will be responsible for an official release later this year. Here 's a schedule for the next 4 months...

January 7th PDGA Singles League at Bailey Rd Park
January 21st PDGA Singles at Wingate
January 22nd PDGA Singles at Bradford

February 4th PDGA Singles at Idlewild
February 18th PDGA Singles at Nevin

March 4th 1 Day C tier at Bradford
March 5th 1 Day C tier at Nevin
March 18th PDGA Singles at Renaissance Gold
March 19th 1 Day C Tier at Renaissance Renske & Pro
March 25th PDGA Singles at Hornet's Nest

April 1st 1 Day C Tier at Hornet's Nest
April 15th PDGA Singles at Robbins
April 22nd PDGA Singles at RL Smith
April 29th 1 Day C tier at RL Smith
April 30th 1 Day C tier at Robbins

We have the majority of the year planned out, will post up the remaining schedule over the next few weeks. The C tiers will be up on PDGA later this week, be sure to register early.

We are running an awesome promotion!!!! Disc Golf Ventures will reimburse Worlds registration fees for our 2 highest points earners, top Male and top Female. That's right, the highest points earner for Male and female will have their Worlds registration fees reimbursed by DGV's!!!

I look forward to seeing you guys and gals on the Charlotte courses throughout 2017!!!

Registration is open for the first 3 PDGA events of the Charlotte Tour!!!

1 Day C Tier at Bradford Park
https://www.discgolfscene.com/tournaments/Charlotte_Points_Race_at_Bradford_hosted_by_DGV_2017

1 Day C Tier at Nevin Park
https://www.discgolfscene.com/tournaments/Charlotte_Points_Race_at_Nevin_hosted_by_DGV_2017

2 Day B Tier At Renaissance Park
https://www.discgolfscene.com/tournaments/Charlotte_Points_Race_at_Renaissance_hosted_by_DGV_2017

I wouldn't wait to long to register, we expect all of these events to fill quickly, as all Charlotte events do. Let me know if anyone has any questions!

Please remember our promotion for 2017, our top male and female points earners will have their 2018 Am Worlds registration fees reimbursed.

Lastly, we will not be hosting any events on 4/29 & 4/30 due to a neighboring A tier in Winston Salem. The good news is that we have 11 C Tiers and 4 B tiers as well as 22 sanctioned pdga singles rounds. Thanks!

What's the status of Hornet's Nest? The course page still has it listed as extinct.

Most of the back 9 was lost due to changes the gas company had to do (it played around/across a gas main right of way.) Also, the park added a playground that eliminated #2.

It's being redesigned, I think they're planning on having it open again in the spring (?), but it will be a different layout.

Hornet's Nest should be ready to go by 3/25, I am hosting a sanctioned Simgles event, as well as a B tier on 4/1. I'll keep you guys posted on everything I hear from the CDGC.

Here's a peak at our 2017 Tour Stamp, designed by Skeet. I'm waiting for Innova to stamp 120 Luster and Shimmer, Destroyers, Terns, Thunderbirds, Roc3's, flat top Firebirds, flat top Rhyno's, and flat top Gators. They'll be up for sale on our FB page next week.

Nothing like saturating the area and hurting some yearly Traditional Tournaments in surrounding counties.

Nothing like saturating the area and hurting some yearly Traditional Tournaments in surrounding counties.

You should see what it looks like south of the border, sandwiched between Charlotte and Augusta.

Oh, well, it's growth pains, I guess, and I remember when the problem was only about 1 event per month, in all of the Carolinas.

Tell me more about this:

March 25th PDGA Singles at Hornet's Nest

Not really sure what you mean, but DGV's has partnered up with the CDGC to run the majority of the CDGC PDGA events for 2017, in efforts to provide the community with as much opportunity to qualify for Am Worlds next year as well as showcase the courses that are tentatively scheduled for Worlds.

What surrounding events are being saturated by the events that are going on in Charlotte?

Not really sure what you mean, but DGV's has partnered up with the CDGC to run the majority of the CDGC PDGA events for 2017, in efforts to provide the community with as much opportunity to qualify for Am Worlds next year as well as showcase the courses that are tentatively scheduled for Worlds.

What surrounding events are being saturated by the events that are going on in Charlotte?

In South Carolina, TDs work with the state coordinator to avoid overlapping events as much as possible---not just within the state, but with nearby areas such as Augusta and Charlotte. The thought is that this helps all events, as well as giving players the ability to play both local and out-of-town events, without having to choose between them. As much as possible.

It doesn't help when one city schedules dozens of sanctioned events, taking up a third or half of the calendar.

Which isn't to say you're wrong to do it, or shouldn't do it. But this is the downside of both overall growing pains in disc golf, and someone like yourselves doing something ambitious.

We plan to have Hornet's Nest re-opened in the spring, with events slated there in rotation leading up to and including 2018 Am Worlds.

I was wondering more than just the course. I live in KS but will be in Charlotte this particular weekend. Is this a C-tier, PDGA league?

Thanks

In South Carolina, TDs work with the state coordinator to avoid overlapping events as much as possible---not just within the state, but with nearby areas such as Augusta and Charlotte. The thought is that this helps all events, as well as giving players the ability to play both local and out-of-town events, without having to choose between them. As much as possible.

It doesn't help when one city schedules dozens of sanctioned events, taking up a third or half of the calendar.

Which isn't to say you're wrong to do it, or shouldn't do it. But this is the downside of both overall growing pains in disc golf, and someone like yourselves doing something ambitious.

The CDGC got all of the local events approved by the NC coordinator, DGV is just helping with running their events. We are averaging 1-2 C/B tier events per month for the calendar year, almost all of them inside Charlotte, which is a community in itself. DGV has even elected to not run local events when neighboring cities/clubs are hosting events even when given approval by state coordinator, I can list multiple events/dates. We'd also be open/receptive if a neighboring club was trying to run an event on the same day. I realize some folks might see this is a saturation but some folks see it as a great opportunity to qualify for 18 Worlds without having to leave Charlotte.

I was wondering more than just the course. I live in KS but will be in Charlotte this particular weekend. Is this a C-tier, PDGA league?

Thanks

Sanctioned PDGA Singles is on 3/25. Just show up, pay $8, and get a rated rd. 1st rd is casual, 2nd rd is rated, play just one or both.

The CDGC got all of the local events approved by the NC coordinator, DGV is just helping with running their events. We are averaging 1-2 C/B tier events per month for the calendar year, almost all of them inside Charlotte, which is a community in itself. DGV has even elected to not run local events when neighboring cities/clubs are hosting events even when given approval by state coordinator, I can list multiple events/dates. We'd also be open/receptive if a neighboring club was trying to run an event on the same day. I realize some folks might see this is a saturation but some folks see it as a great opportunity to qualify for 18 Worlds without having to leave Charlotte.

Understood. As I said, it's not wrong. But it does add to the saturation in the region.

Which is already a problem. We keep building more courses (which is good) and at every course people want to run a tournament, maybe 2 or 3 (which is good) but we're not building more weekends (which is where the squeeze is).

Hopefully the player base will grow fast enough to keep up with the event proliferation.

Perhaps running traveling leagues during weekdays would be a way to play 2-3 different courses within each 6-week league, still allow players to earn points and reduce the number of weekends tied up?

Perhaps running traveling leagues during weekdays would be a way to play 2-3 different courses within each 6-week league, still allow players to earn points and reduce the number of weekends tied up?

As soon as there's enough evening light (mid-Marchish) we have leagues scheduled every weekday/night. Some rotate, others are the same course each week.

Latest posts