• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2018 USDGC

tom12003

Eagle Member
3 weeks to the start the US Disc Golf Championship.

Who's going to win? Who's going to lay an egg?

Of course, the details of the course will again change. As of this afternoon, most of the layouts have been marked (flags now, ropes in 10 or so days)--nothing making it easier, just the opposite. Biggest concern right now is the effect of Hurricane Florence this Friday but the volunteers are ready to get everything in superb shape.

The real question is will there be live video coverage or does jussi still have a hand in depriving the masses?

The real question is will there be live video coverage or does jussi still have a hand in depriving the masses?

SpinTV is listed as media partner. they have done live broadcasts in the past but no clue about this one.

Ricky isn't registered for USDGC?...

I swear I heard on one of the podcasts, probably Smashboxx, that USDGC was going to have live coverage of some sort this year. That they were hiring a production company to do it (so it won't be Smashboxx). I just can't find any mention of it anywhere and I'm not about to go back and watch or listen to old episodes to try to find it. Someone else can chime in if they have confirmation.

With the number of viewers (>11k) and the amount of superchat money that seemed to be flowing, live video coverage should be a no brainer. Post production and the "smashcut" will always be there when you have the time to watch, but the drama and excitement at the finish can never be matched.

Really who watches the Super Bowl on Tuesday.

Last edited:
Smashboxx did say that a production company that normally covers Ultimate will be there to do live coverage. They talked about whether they would string fiber around the course, what the cost would be for that, what the video quality would be, and if Terry could be sent in as a mole to sabotage them. That last part might be wrong, I don't remember fully.

Looks like Iron Hill will be spared the worst of it but they will probably get some rain and decent wind.

Florence will weaken rapidly after making its final landfall, Rock Hill sits at 60-70% probability of storm force winds right now. Currently it's expected to become a tropical depression by Monday morning.

Last edited:
What if the storm blows away all the flags and rope?
Would be a bummer if this turns into the most merciful USDGC ever :p

It is unlikely that you will see any direct impact from Florence as it is unlikely that the upper level ridge which is holding Florence from turning Northeast will last until USDGC. However, My guess it will have heavy rain more or less continuously for 5-7 days It is my thought that the ground will still be saturated and my guess with pretty poor footing, and unless it tightly flood controlled the Pond will be up near the basket on the beach. Conditions will really depend on how well Winthrop drains, I've never been so i dont know.

Wait....someone please quote me so I get notified... so none of the established disc golf media outlets are being hired to provide the live coverage, they'e going with someone else...is this right?

Wait....someone please quote me so I get notified... so none of the established disc golf media outlets are being hired to provide the live coverage, they'e going with someone else...is this right?

There's only one "established" disc golf media outlet that does live and they say they're not doing it. So yes, they're going with someone else for the live coverage.

What I'm curious to see is whether this will be broadcast on Youtube (perhaps through Spin?) or if there's another portal that the broadcast company prefers.

Obviously none of this is official, because it hasn't been announced yet. We were told by an inside source that they are going with a company called Fulcrum media who does Ultimate Frisbee broadcasts. We don't know many of the details other than that, but I can take some guesses as to how it would be done if I were in their shoes.

My guesses:
I heard they were going to run fiber. Fiber is expensive. I would guess that they are going to just run fiber around the lake with a few cameras hooked up. This leaves half the course uncovered by fiber. So in order to cover this portion of the course they need to have some sort of transmission system. The cheapest way would be 4G like we do, but then you lose the fidelity. OR you never go live in the area that isn't covered by fiber. And instead you stay "live" around the lake all day and then you bring in Jomez & additional camera files and quickly edit them every few holes and insert them between actual live shots. This would provide an equally high fidelity that the fiber drops provide them. Then once the players get back to hole 17 you go live with them again. Kinda like the PGA does.

Of course this is gonna require a pretty big group of people doing this. My guess would be at least 2 or 3 editors onsite, 3 or 4 cameramen, Producer, production assistant, & 2 talent. Not to mention graphics and stuff before hand. Obviously this is going to come at a pretty big expense. But I also think that if they can pull it off it will be great, possibly the best we have seen in the sport.

I also expect very few commercials & a lot of interest pieces to be produced. Innova isn't going to sell out their event with other sponsors when they can afford to foot the bill.

I do expect an announcement soon on their plans, unless they are waiting until after USWDGC. And as I said on the podcast this week, if they don't push it out via YouTube or at least Twitch, it is an immediate fail. Those are the easiest CDNs to push to your TV and get on all devices... but I expect that they know that already.

Last edited:

Latest posts