• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2018 USWDGC

Halcón

Free At Last
Today is the last day of this tournament. A major. No thread. No UDisc. No live coverage. We have a long way to go, guys.

Thanks to Terry Miller (The Disc Golf Guy) and everyone who's covering this event. I'll catch up on the footage later this week.

Come on, Holly! :thmbup:

2018 United States Women's Disc Golf Championships, Open Women Performance Tracks.

Note that five out of the six top-rated players did not play up to their expectations.

attachment.php

Attachments

• USWDGC2018OpenTracks.png
    USWDGC2018OpenTracks.png
    119.8 KB · Views: 310
I'm still not quite sure who won. I spent the weekend looking for vids. I agree with Halcon, we can do better. By we, I mean the PDGA. I know the views aren't as high, but this event is a major and should be covered in a timely fashion. And yes, Terry is a champ for being there.

JC said that Jomez was out there as well. So we should see some vids from them soon.

I'm still not quite sure who won. I spent the weekend looking for vids. I agree with Halcon, we can do better. By we, I mean the PDGA. I know the views aren't as high, but this event is a major and should be covered in a timely fashion. And yes, Terry is a champ for being there.

I get the complaints about the media not being quite the same standard as some other events, but the format of the tournament is part of the problem as far as turning around vids next day. It's not a one-round-per-day format that lends itself to crews like Jomez editing late into the night then having players sit in to do a commentary for it so they can have it out just prior to or during the next round. The two rounds on Saturday mean there's less time to turn around round 1 and then there's even less time to try to turn around rounds 2 and 3 before round 4 starts early Sunday morning.

As for not knowing who won, come on. The results were posted in a very timely manner in the same place they're ALWAYS posted...PDGA.com. Just because there's no live video or even next day video, that doesn't mean you can't find out who won the tournament.

I get the complaints about the media not being quite the same standard as some other events, but the format of the tournament is part of the problem as far as turning around vids next day. It's not a one-round-per-day format that lends itself to crews like Jomez editing late into the night then having players sit in to do a commentary for it so they can have it out just prior to or during the next round. The two rounds on Saturday mean there's less time to turn around round 1 and then there's even less time to try to turn around rounds 2 and 3 before round 4 starts early Sunday morning.

As for not knowing who won, come on. The results were posted in a very timely manner in the same place they're ALWAYS posted...PDGA.com. Just because there's no live video or even next day video, that doesn't mean you can't find out who won the tournament.

Poor communication on my part. I meant I purposefully don't know cause I want to watch the vids. Thanks for pointing it out. And you're correct, I hadn't thought about the two a day structure. Sigh.

Jomez has just started posted videos-
R1 Front 11 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-akVq_zLI1k

Just watched the first round and have to say I was impressed with Hailey King. Her backhand technique reminds me of some of the young bombers in MPO, her flick is clean, smooth and flat, and her putting has a confident and aggressive stroke rarely seen in FPO. And she's 15?

If she keeps on going like that, I'd say hold on to your hats FPO, because HailStorm is coming!

I believe it was AJ Risley that did a Facebook Live video of the lead card playing the last hole. He said that the course basically had no cell/data service, unless you were standing in the middle of hole 18, which was a big part of the reason you weren't even seeing live updates, or anything other than Terry Miller's post edited updates.

I believe it was AJ Risley that did a Facebook Live video of the lead card playing the last hole. He said that the course basically had no cell/data service, unless you were standing in the middle of hole 18, which was a big part of the reason you weren't even seeing live updates, or anything other than Terry Miller's post edited updates.

I saw the FB live video, but it wasn't AJ Risley. It was the PDGA's media manager, Matt "Marty" Gregoire. And I know that signal was an issue because Smashboxx said on their podcast that they were approached about covering it but couldn't because of the poor signal.

But cell signal doesn't affect Jomez or Terry Miller in so far as putting up post-produced stuff. The reason there wasn't next day stuff, other than Miller's recaps, was 100% because of the schedule of the tournament, in particular the two rounds on Saturday. It left no time to edit, record commentary, and upload videos in a timely manner. Hence the video releases during the week this week.

Thank you for the Clarification, JC! I heard someone in the video yelling at AJ, so I thought it was him doing the livestream.

I had service in the entire park...not saying it was a good enough signal for a live broadcast or anything but if the the pdga media coordinator wasn't getting service out there maybe they need to get him a better phone or better service.

I mean they couldn't even get us udisc live. We teed off from plywood tee pads that were one single 4x8 pieces of plywood that were just sitting on the ground. Nothing about this event really screamed Major, and a lot of that falls on the PDGA if you ask me. They walk the courses, and have to give approval on courses used for majors. It just didn't have that Major feel at all. Last year was the closest it has felt to a major.

That said I did really enjoy the courses, other than the temp holes and pads, especially from the longs. They were super well maintained.

Latest posts