• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2019 PDGA Pro Masters Worlds

It was pretty ugly out there. 20mph winds all day. At least a light rain for the entire time, with a couple of hours of heavy rain. Most players kept good attitudes but were glad to get the hell off the course.

Nice round today JC, keep it going tomorrow!

And Major Tomahawk with the hot round in his division!

Surprised Matt B hasn't complained today.

Thanks, MTL! Was there something particularly egregious about my complaints that you want to address? The PDGA reps onsite agreed with them and thanked me for voicing my concerns. Do you feel that at a Worlds, there should be at least temporary tee signs on the holes being used? That there should be more than one toilet for the hundred or more competititors playing practice rounds?

I'm still scratching my head over the $25 online disc purchase during registration where I picked my disc off of a table of discs being sold for $20 that had already been picked through.

You're not the only TD in the world, MTL. I know exactly what it's like to get ridiculous complaints. These aren't ridiculous and I brought them directly to the people in charge. If you don't like reading them here, maybe abstain from that activity? I can't possibly imagine why you are universally perceived as an online douche here at DGCR. From what I've heard and read from you in other online venues, you don't appear to be one in real life.

Now that I've got that out of the way, and I missed the cut :(((( and have some time, the event was run very smoothly, with plenty of toilets starting on Sunday. Still no tee signs on some holes in play and the condition of some of the gravel pads on the Blue layout were surprisingly not worked on with a little extra gravel and ten minutes of tamping, but they were reasonable. As stated previosuly amidst my crazy complaining, these courses are world class and were in great shape. If there's a better combination of courses at one facility I don't know where they are. Communication overall was good. Masters aged competitors seem resigned to the lack of buzz and attention for Worlds since the split, but everyone seeemd to be enjoying themselves.

In conclusion, I think it is pretty damn okay for us to have high expectations at a Worlds, and to voice complaints in a reasonable way when simple, easy and necessary things aren't in place.

Thanks, MTL! Was there something particularly egregious about my complaints that you want to address? The PDGA reps onsite agreed with them and thanked me for voicing my concerns. Do you feel that at a Worlds, there should be at least temporary tee signs on the holes being used? That there should be more than one toilet for the hundred or more competititors playing practice rounds?

I'm still scratching my head over the $25 online disc purchase during registration where I picked my disc off of a table of discs being sold for $20 that had already been picked through.

You're not the only TD in the world, MTL. I know exactly what it's like to get ridiculous complaints. These aren't ridiculous and I brought them directly to the people in charge. If you don't like reading them here, maybe abstain from that activity? I can't possibly imagine why you are universally perceived as an online douche here at DGCR. From what I've heard and read from you in other online venues, you don't appear to be one in real life.

Now that I've got that out of the way, and I missed the cut :(((( and have some time, the event was run very smoothly, with plenty of toilets starting on Sunday. Still no tee signs on some holes in play and the condition of some of the gravel pads on the Blue layout were surprisingly not worked on with a little extra gravel and ten minutes of tamping, but they were reasonable. As stated previosuly amidst my crazy complaining, these courses are world class and were in great shape. If there's a better combination of courses at one facility I don't know where they are. Communication overall was good. Masters aged competitors seem resigned to the lack of buzz and attention for Worlds since the split, but everyone seeemd to be enjoying themselves.

In conclusion, I think it is pretty damn okay for us to have high expectations at a Worlds, and to voice complaints in a reasonable way when simple, easy and necessary things aren't in place.

I have a bit of a different view of such opportunities. I don't really go into anything like World's with high expectations. I have a decent grip on the gargantuant project that is an event such as this. The amount of work, details, volunteer, planning..... is mind blowing. If I have to walk a few hundred feet to pee in the woods, I am not likely to take the issue to the interwebz. Having played in a couple World's and volunteering to help at a few more, I know that stuff is forgotten, or sometimes not done, due to prioritization. Shrug....I guess all I really need is some baskets and cool old guys to play with. The rest is a bonus. Sounds like you have a great time and congrats on getting there.

I have a bit of a different view of such opportunities. I don't really go into anything like World's with high expectations. I have a decent grip on the gargantuant project that is an event such as this. The amount of work, details, volunteer, planning..... is mind blowing. If I have to walk a few hundred feet to pee in the woods, I am not likely to take the issue to the interwebz. Having played in a couple World's and volunteering to help at a few more, I know that stuff is forgotten, or sometimes not done, due to prioritization. Shrug....I guess all I really need is some baskets and cool old guys to play with. The rest is a bonus. Sounds like you have a great time and congrats on getting there.

Fair enough but I had to poop. I've been a TD many times, it's ok to expect tee signs at Worlds. Definitely had a great time. Vermont in June is a little slice of heaven and those courses should be on any golfers bucket list. World class!

Many interesting stories in this event honoring those who refuse to let Father Time diminish their love of competitive disc golf. There were at least 3 knee replacements, two hip replacements, and myriad heart reconstructions in this remarkable field of competitors.

MP40+. No real surprise that David Feldberg wins his 3rd World title.

FP40+. It's no secret that Elaine King is at least 56 and still she takes the 40+ division for her 8th World title.

MP50+. At 53 Ron Convers is rated 1003 and wins his 3rd MP50+ World title shooting all rounds over his rating.

MP55+. Mitch McClellan has been playing forever and wins his first World singles title. He's the only first time winner this year.

FP55+. Pam Reineke fights to the finish to win her second World title eleven years after winning 40+ in 2008.

MP60+. David Greenwell wins his 10th World title by starting with an 8 stroke lead after round 1 during what he described as the worst conditions he ever played in. Gregg Hosfeld was hard charging the whole time and gained 4 strokes in the Finals to finish just 2 back.

MP65+. Johnny Sias wins his 4th World title in 4 age divisions (Open,50-60-65) by gaining 6 strokes in the Finals to win by 2.

MP70+. Rick Voakes wins his 10th World title in his fourth division (40-50-60-70). There is no obvious active challenger in the near future.

MP75+. Pete May wins his 5th World title with 4 in a row at 75+.

MP85+. Carlos Rigby continues to amaze the DG world with his 5th World title in 3 age divisions (75-80-85).

And a final shout out to my brother Kenny Lee & Jay Gobrecht for their come back win in 60+ World doubles.

. .
MP70+. Rick Voakes wins his 10th World title in his fourth division (40-50-60-70). There is no obvious active challenger in the near future.

70 and one of his rounds was 1000+. Continues his super-human ness.

the condition of some of the gravel pads on the Blue layout were surprisingly not worked on with a little extra gravel and ten minutes of tamping
Any rough tee pads were raked and smoothed every morning, especially after any overnight rain.

FP40+. It's no secret that Elaine King is at least 56 and still she takes the 40+ division for her 8th World title.
Sue Stephens and Sandy Gast (2nd and 4th) were also eligible for the 50+ or 55+ divisions and played down for harder competition or because they wanted to play the blue tee pads. Great shooting by all of them.
Also a shout out to Sue for hitting an ace on Brewster hole 1during round 4. One of the first people to congratulate her on that shot was Christine Hellstern, who hit an ace on that same hole during round 2 (white tee pad) for her first career ace.

FP55+. Pam Reineke fights to the finish to win her second World title eleven years after winning 40+ in 2008.
Pam and Christine were tied going into hole 18 of the final round. Christine's tee shot was a bit short, and Pam flew 30-35' past the basket. Christine missed her putt. At that point, Pam didn't know the score. She asked a spectator (might have been Joe Chargaulaf) what the score was. "Make the putt and you're the champion." Smashed the putt from the woods and took home the title.

MP60+. David Greenwell wins his 10th World title by starting with an 8 stroke lead after round 1 during what he described as the worst conditions he ever played in. Gregg Hosfeld was hard charging the whole time and gained 4 strokes in the Finals to finish just 2 back.
Hosfeld missed a couple of fairly easy putts in the final 9 that could have made things more interesting. Additionally, on Fox hole 17 (8th hole of the final 9), Mike Ward took the lefty power hyzer around the trees and landed 20' from the basket to convert his birdie. Best throw of the weekend that I saw. Absolute smash.

And you forgot to mention the FP60 division:
FP60: Laurie Cloyes-Chupa and Suzette Simons were tied going into Brewster hole 17 of the final round. Laurie took the birdie while Suzette took the par. On the tee pad of hole 18, Suzette was hugging her saying, "You got this. You can do this." Laurie birdied 18 to secure the win and Suzette was the first person to hug her. One of the best displays of sportsmanship I've ever seen on the course. We could all learn a lesson from these two.

Why don´t players like McCabe and Avery play? no prestige in a Masters World title?