• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2019 PDGA Pro Masters Worlds

Why don´t players like McCabe and Avery play? no prestige in a Masters World title?

Yea, it would be cool to get a big turnout in the next couple years with all the guys who are now eligible or will be soon... and if KC can get his health in order...

Yea, it would be cool to get a big turnout in the next couple years with all the guys who are now eligible or will be soon... and if KC can get his health in order...

I suspect there will be a much larger turnout next year. Tennessee will be much less expensive and is more centrally located to a much larger number of potential competitors. Whether that brings the various world champions out of semi-retirement remains to be seen.

Why don´t players like McCabe and Avery play? no prestige in a Masters World title?
The Selinske has a healthy registration of around 240 players right now for an event in September. Feldberg, Schultz, Rico, McCray, McCabe and Oates are the names that I noticed.

It took a really, really long time and a lot of stubborn dedication by Tim Selinske to make U.S. Masters a thing. I would suspect stand-alone Masters World's might also be a slow burn if it ultimately works at all.

Thanks, MTL! Was there something particularly egregious about my complaints that you want to address? The PDGA reps onsite agreed with them and thanked me for voicing my concerns. Do you feel that at a Worlds, there should be at least temporary tee signs on the holes being used? That there should be more than one toilet for the hundred or more competititors playing practice rounds?

I'm still scratching my head over the $25 online disc purchase during registration where I picked my disc off of a table of discs being sold for $20 that had already been picked through.

You're not the only TD in the world, MTL. I know exactly what it's like to get ridiculous complaints. These aren't ridiculous and I brought them directly to the people in charge. If you don't like reading them here, maybe abstain from that activity? I can't possibly imagine why you are universally perceived as an online douche here at DGCR. From what I've heard and read from you in other online venues, you don't appear to be one in real life.

Apologies for my joke. It was misinterpreted, but it was meant as nothing more than a joke.

The Selinske has a healthy registration of around 240 players right now for an event in September. Feldberg, Schultz, Rico, McCray, McCabe and Oates are the names that I noticed.

It took a really, really long time and a lot of stubborn dedication by Tim Selinske to make U.S. Masters a thing. I would suspect stand-alone Masters World's might also be a slow burn if it ultimately works at all.
I think Master Worlds may include both Ams and Pros at some point, maybe 2021?

Many interesting stories in this event honoring those who refuse to let Father Time diminish their love of competitive disc golf. There were at least 3 knee replacements, two hip replacements, and myriad heart reconstructions in this remarkable field of competitors.

MP40+. No real surprise that David Feldberg wins his 3rd World title.

FP40+. It's no secret that Elaine King is at least 56 and still she takes the 40+ division for her 8th World title.

MP50+. At 53 Ron Convers is rated 1003 and wins his 3rd MP50+ World title shooting all rounds over his rating.

MP55+. Mitch McClellan has been playing forever and wins his first World singles title. He's the only first time winner this year.

FP55+. Pam Reineke fights to the finish to win her second World title eleven years after winning 40+ in 2008.

MP60+. David Greenwell wins his 10th World title by starting with an 8 stroke lead after round 1 during what he described as the worst conditions he ever played in. Gregg Hosfeld was hard charging the whole time and gained 4 strokes in the Finals to finish just 2 back.

MP65+. Johnny Sias wins his 4th World title in 4 age divisions (Open,50-60-65) by gaining 6 strokes in the Finals to win by 2.

MP70+. Rick Voakes wins his 10th World title in his fourth division (40-50-60-70). There is no obvious active challenger in the near future.

MP75+. Pete May wins his 5th World title with 4 in a row at 75+.

MP85+. Carlos Rigby continues to amaze the DG world with his 5th World title in 3 age divisions (75-80-85).

And a final shout out to my brother Kenny Lee & Jay Gobrecht for their come back win in 60+ World doubles.

You forgot one division -

FP60 Also crowned a FIRST TIME CHAMPION - Laurie Cloyes Chupa who has been playing professionally since 1989.

Avery's on record saying he doesn't want to play Masters even though he's eligible. Probably will change his mind once hits his mid/late 40s.

McCabe hasn't been doing much competing at all of late. All three of his events played this year have been in Emporia. He seems to be concentrating more on his design ventures, most likely including designing the course at Mile High Stadium for the event DD put on this past weekend. He is registered for the Selinske. Wouldn't shock me if he played the MVP Open the week before or the GMC the week after since he'll be in the "neighborhood".

While one poster suggested the cost and difficulty of getting to and staying in Vermont for an event like this, I think the scheduling probably has an impact as well. Not everyone can do late June as easily as July and August, and it's not as though this was fitted into the overall tour schedule very well. I'm only aware of one player who played Ledgestone and made the trip to Smuggs, and he arrived on Monday with no real chance to practice (still finished 6th). Everyone else that could be considered "on tour" or at the highest level chose one or the other.

Wow, terrible turnout. They should call this a test and go back to the old system. They won't but they should.

I think Master Worlds may include both Ams and Pros at some point, maybe 2021?

That was the word floating around at Smuggs. Makes sense in a lot of ways. Bigger event, more excitement and probably more clubs willing to bid for an event they can raise some significant funds by running.

Apologies for my joke. It was misinterpreted, but it was meant as nothing more than a joke.

I get jokes and I interpreted your joke correctly.

It's often okay to just close the space above the chin, figuratively and literally.

Wow, terrible turnout. They should call this a test and go back to the old system. They won't but they should.

Until 2016 the Masters were included in the full Pro Championships. Starting in 2017 the Masters were split into their own tournament. Attendance data shown below:
SrJflqc.jpg

I think demographics partly explains the numbers. The youngest Baby Boomer was born in 1964 and will turn 55 this year. Baby boomers have participated at a higher rate at every age than the cohort right before and right after theirs partly because there are more of them. The 55 and 65 options were not available until this year. Participation in Worlds in every age range tends to drop progressively by age even with annual increases in membership each year, i.e., however many 42-yr olds participated in MP40 4 years ago, fewer likely participated this year when they turned 46. Adding the 55 and 65 ages this year showed the previously unfulfilled interest to participate as long as they were 5 or less years older than the youngest allowed in their division.

I don't believe that Masters and "Pro" Worlds should be combined again. But, I do think that adding the Am Masters should be encouraged to lift the general numbers. This could also make it more profitable for the Master's Championships. Keeping the Master's together makes total sense to me. But IMO our Professional World Championships should be focused on MPO & FPO only.

I don't believe that Masters and "Pro" Worlds should be combined again. But, I do think that adding the Am Masters should be encouraged to lift the general numbers. This could also make it more profitable for the Master's Championships. Keeping the Master's together makes total sense to me. But IMO our Professional World Championships should be focused on MPO & FPO only.

agreed.

I think the model in 21 moving forward makes sense.

It's really hard to appropriately challenge McBeth and a 60 year old female at the same place.

It also helps to get more bids for Pro Worlds, wouldn't it? Not needing to have so many courses and the volunteers needed to work them... While the financial part would help the AM/Pro get bids.

It also helps to get more bids for Pro Worlds, wouldn't it? Not needing to have so many courses and the volunteers needed to work them... While the financial part would help the AM/Pro get bids.

No, pro worlds was already split before this future update.

This will increase the amount of bids for am worlds. Am always gets lots of bids because you basically don't have to get any sponsorship and there is profit to be made.

However am worlds current model required loooooooots of courses. Not only that, quality courses and appropriate courses. You will have 70 year ams. You can have them on a 10,000 foot course and you can't have MA1 on a 4,000 foot course.

So now you are creating way more MA1 opportunities because you can get away with 4 courses and only 2 of them as medium - higher SSA's.

I think this actually could decrease the MPO/ FPO pro worlds bids because if people want pros but are concerned about money, now they can bid on masters worlds and get pros but not have to worry about raising money as much (as they could roll profit from am into pro payout).

Side note - I don't know why anyone would want to run a pro worlds.

Latest posts