• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] 2020 OS Mid of Choice

Stable

* Ace Member *
What is your OS midrange of choice? I'm currently deciding between the Drone, Buzzz OS & Caiman. What plastic do you prefer with that meaty mid?

DGA Quake is indispensable for me with a FH dominant game. Been bagging a 176g in SP plastic but I like the pro line plastic too. Flat and beadless, it truly is a longer, beefier Zone imop.

I'll play.

For general use, it's a tie between the Westside Bard and the MD4. If I was forced to pick between the two though I'd likely take the Bard

If you're talking really overstable, I'd probably go Gator or MD5. I also like the Anvil.

Drone.

Been throwing them for 12+ years. Nothing will skip, turn, fade, glide, or penetrate wind as well. If it's a mid you're looking for, it's in the GOAT debate for sure. Of course you can power down a Firebird/whatever, but that's an entirely different discussion...

I rarely ever use an OS mid. The 3x/year I need one, I throw a flat-ish Champ Gator.
Other people will have more useful feedback about the various mids' strengths and weaknesses. For me, the Gator does what I want: go left no matter what. I never needed to audition competitors.

Drone.

Been throwing them for 12+ years. Nothing will skip, turn, fade, glide, or penetrate wind as well. If it's a mid you're looking for, it's in the GOAT debate for sure. Of course you can power down a Firebird/whatever, but that's an entirely different discussion...

You ever use a Big Z Drone? I think Id like one if I could a firm / close to esp feel. Sometimes Big Z can a little too much flex.

Gila for fast, straight to solid fade.

Bard for somewhat slower, more stubborn flight.

Neither are super beefy but i can FH both and they'll both fight most winds.

I really dont need both... But sometimes one just feels right for a given shot.

Malta and Drone. I was surprised what a compliment the Malta was to the Buzzz. I primarily carry for my max OS slot a Crystal FLX Drone which really lands and stops for approach shots.

I just bought an Axiom Pyro in Prism Plasma plastic and am loving it for my OS mid needs.

I bagged a Proto Malta, which I dont find to be as OS as the Pyro. I do like the Malta for headwind shots that I want to straight, but the Pyro holds the line in a big wind and I like that.

I love this slot overall, and there are many I like. Usually a couple of VIP Bards and some type of Justice are in the bag. They cover the majority of my midrange shots unless I throw a Warship or Anubis in there to throw on a certain hole.

Also love a Gila, Pyro, Deflector, and Demon.

I have a max weight Z Buzzz that is beef. I rarely use anything more overstable than that for midrange duty, but on a rare occasion when I need a really hard turn, I bring out my Lucid Justice.

My ESP Zone, Star Teebird, and Champ Firebird handle most of the extreme overstable shots. (Although I guess one can consider the Zone a midrange, so it's definitely the disc I use 90% of the time.)

There are three that I think are absolutely great, depending on how much overstability you're looking for.

Verdict - Usable overstability. Enough OS to handle backhand force over flex lines and still fight out, or some decent headwind. Pretty straight when thrown forehand, but can be overpowered if your flick shot is torquey.

Justice - insane amount of beef. I have to throw with lots of anny to get it to go anywhere. Excels on flick shots that need more length/fade/ground play than a Zone.

Drone - Splits the difference between a Verdict and a Justice. Is surprisingly glidey for how overstable it flies. Good choice as a single OS mid. On the other hand, Justice/Verdict is a great one-two punch if you rely heavily on mids and have room in your bag for multiple OS mid molds.

I have a max weight Z Buzzz that is beef. I rarely use anything more overstable than that for midrange duty, but on a rare occasion when I need a really hard turn, I bring out my Lucid Justice.

My ESP Zone, Star Teebird, and Champ Firebird handle most of the extreme overstable shots. (Although I guess one can consider the Zone a midrange, so it's definitely the disc I use 90% of the time.)

I absolutely consider the Zone to be a mid.

Latest posts