• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] 2020 OS Mid of Choice

Shark is as OS I get now. I used to use a Z Wasp in the 2000 but if I get one now I need to look for the 3 weight sets between 170-176 grams, the 179 gram I had was too heavy and the Z was like some CryZtal plastic the slick that is way more common then in Z, one of the reasons I do not get that limited plastic. Also used a rare Elite X weigh 166 grams, to light for a 180 max weight diameter for me in the disc.

Last edited:
Same here. A Wasp is plenty stable for me. My Zone is for upshots. I've tried a few but I never ended up using them.

I have 3 kc rocs where the last one I overstable-ish. I use the pig and a firebird and those cover everything OS. I used to bag a gator but it rarely came out of the bag.

I do carry a Zone as an utility OS mid, but i hardly ever use it. The suspect is the more workable OS mid, i use it all the time.

are overstable mids pointless

This is how I felt a few months ago (and still do to a large degree). I started using an ogopogo in that spot because it's like powering down a firebird but it will land like a putter. But there are times-not many-that an os mid is exactly what I want. For that, I have an mvp deflector. It is more os than my verdict, and is more forgiving than my drone.

I carry a cryztal Drone for the OS mid slot. It's probably the least used disc in my bag - but it still has a purpose. I definitely reach for the Harp more often on forehand approaches, but the drone can take more heat off the tee or for longer shots (outside of 200').

Haven't throwing it in a bit though - my shoulder is not happy with harder forehand throws lately so I've been completely laying off that part of the game. For backhands I typically don't need anything more overstable than an aftershock or harp.

Very much like the Mortar for an OS mid that still flies like a disc rather than angrily seeking the ground.

Paired with a premium Rhyno for shorter, less skippy chip shots.

Glow C-Line MD4, though a Method works great too

Star Caiman for me, but I rarely use it for the rounds I play.

are overstable mids pointless
I played a ball golf course on Saturday and only had one midrange in the bag; I never threw that mid a single time during the round. Driver/driver/putter on every hole.

Depending on the course, I can see the question being "are mid ranges pointless?" Especially as the putter molds get longer and longer.