• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] 2020 OS Mid of Choice

What plastics? I like hard to find now Star with backups due to getting hard to find as well as, the oop Pro but could use DX or G-Star in place of the one Pro plastic I have in bag and just beat them to the Near Neutral but Still a tad OS. I wish the Shark mold was still made in other plastics like Pro/stiff R-Pro or Star.

Champ Roc and Z Zone are what I'd plug into that slot.

ESP Buzzz OS- Presnell edition @ Black Ink with the ram stamp. Flat as a board and always flies super smooth and finishes clean without being dumpy. The normal buzzz never really clicked with me but the OS I do really like.

Ha ha ha, I was definitely in the OS mids are pointless camp. I still am, kind of, but I bag a Malta, Justice, and an A2 (if you count that as a mid). I mostly use the Malta which to me isn't that OS, just a reliably straight to fade kind of disc. The Justice is just for stupid stuff, especially impractical FH lines. I love the A2 since I've started FHing so much, great for that slow panning FH shot.

I am stubbornly trying to narrow the # of molds I carry, and because I love the MD and MD2 as mids I'm trying to find their OS siblings. The MD4 and MD3 are good, but even a fresh MD in Luster C plastic is pretty OS too.

same. it's tough but in my world wooded courses create so many different lines I need to hit. I can't limit myself & leave out that mold that I know would fit a specific situation.

This spring I moved from a place with primarily windy park style courses, to an area with primarily wooded courses. I thought I would rely on overstable molds less as a result. But what I've found is that I actually have more of a need for varying degrees of overstability for precisely the reason you indicated. Sometimes in the woods all you have is a tiny window on a step out flick shot that MUST be release on a specific angle to hit the gap. So I find I need a variety of discs that have varying degrees of stupid-level overstability. In the wind, I just needed an OS approach disc (Zone) and OS control driver (Lucid-X Felon) and was fine.

Right now I'm enjoying the MVP Reactor. I think it might replace my Vectors I carried.

I don't bag a meathook mid. I carry the Entropy and Fireball, so a workable overstable mid like the Vector / Reactor works for me.

same. it's tough but in my world wooded courses create so many different lines I need to hit. I can't limit myself & leave out that mold that I know would fit a specific situation.

Same in discs but due to South Dakota wind I find myself needing discs in different molds, plastics, and/or weights in one case for the days wind is higher to where I should not be playing disc golf. Also nice part for winter is some discs I have the other plastic for or even only it is a plastic like Star, ESP or Pro that helps me grip the disc better then say some Champion/Z discs, Though one of my Z discs flexes a bit more to where the mold will work in bad weather, but is not Z FLX.

This aggravates me a tad or my Beefy Destroyer would not be in my current bag nor would the Shark/Shark 3 set up for midrange and approach/driving putter. I could for midrange keep using the Stingray in DX, just probably getting the max weight discs to help with longevity with the worn in Stingray being my other approach disc with the 166 gram Prostyle #2 Upshot as more a really long putter in my game.

What about a Buzzz OS? I've never thrown a Quake.

I have tossed my "mids" for putters. I use an Axiom Envy for stable and the Entropy for OS. It goes the same distance as my Stable Buzz and Drone but with more glide/skip.

What is your OS midrange of choice? I'm currently deciding between the Drone, Buzzz OS & Caiman. What plastic do you prefer with that meaty mid?

For true beef I throw a Lucid Justice, for a quarter pounder its a Tournament Harp

This is how I felt a few months ago (and still do to a large degree). I started using an ogopogo in that spot because it's like powering down a firebird but it will land like a putter. But there are times-not many-that an os mid is exactly what I want. For that, I have an mvp deflector. It is more os than my verdict, and is more forgiving than my drone.

I keep going back and forth on this. When do I actually need an overstable mid? Sure there are times that I can't put enough zing on my zone and I can eke out another 20 feet? with a deflector, but if I really need to take that line, an os fairway like my mammoth or my raptor are much more versatile. The ogopogo is just a mammoth in eraser-like elastic performance plastic which sticks its landings. A month ago, I convinced myself that I needed the deflector to throw intermediate flex lines, and a week later changed my mind again after hitting those exact lines better with a raptor.

I keep going back and forth on this. When do I actually need an overstable mid? Sure there are times that I can't put enough zing on my zone and I can eke out another 20 feet? with a deflector, but if I really need to take that line, an os fairway like my mammoth or my raptor are much more versatile. The ogopogo is just a mammoth in eraser-like elastic performance plastic which sticks its landings. A month ago, I convinced myself that I needed the deflector to throw intermediate flex lines, and a week later changed my mind again after hitting those exact lines better with a raptor.

Same. If the Zone can't get there, I power down a Champ plastic Teebird for a nice overstable midrange shot.

The only real trump card that an OS mid vs putters or drivers has is for slow panning, hard anny flex shots. Especially FH approaches. The wider diameter helps them catch air a little better and the beaded ones stick better than drivers or discs like the Zone. So for example, if your course has a basket on hard pan and you constantly have to flick around a corner to it, a disc like the Justice is just tailor made for you.

Here's a rundown of the ones I've enjoyed in the last few years (mind you, this is comparable to Three Putt listing his favorite max D drivers ((ok, not that bad)):

Justice - Not many mids fill the OS utility slot well by themselves but this one does. Really useful for folks with power FHs and like to flick upshots. Decent FH roller.

Quake - If you don't like beads but still need lots o' beef, this is a great one. Extremely comfy in FH grip due to lack of bead and low profile.

Anvil - Not quite as beefy as the 2 above but still solid. No bead, very comfy for FH. Like a wide diameter A2.

Recluse - Just tried one today. Quake beefy, Justice package. Decent glide.

Deflector - Like the Anvil but slower. MVP rim makes it a bit stickier than Champ/Lucid/etc type plastics.

Stego - This isn't really a mid I guess but I'm not sure it's really anything but the most stupidly OS thing I've ever encountered. The perfect upshot disc for those courses situated on Himalayan cliff-sides. :\

MOAB - More of a very slow FW driver but it's blunt and slow enough to be used as a mid, also wide diameter. Really OS, good FH roller.

Bard - More conventional shaped/speed OS mid. Some are close to being utility beefy, most are just workably OS throwers. If you get tired of Wasp stamps, this is a good clone.

Malta - Not so much (really)OS as they are straight-to-fade, goodly HSS. Smaller diameter makes them a bit glide averse and seemingly more OS than they are. I actually bag these most of the time. Bead is nice for placement shots, flatness and small diam. is decent for FH. Complements a workable straight mid like the Buzzz really well.

I've been throwing a Gila recently. Normally I don't bag a OS mid. I do like this one though.