• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2023 Beaver State Fling

I'm disappointed she didn't grow out her armpit hair to support paige

About the ropes for crowd control… in R2, Cole Redalen asked the TD, got permission, and then pulled the ropes down for a throw. In R3 GG wanted more relief from the ropes, Calvin shut him down, then GG threw his shot in frustration. Why did GG not just take the ropes down like Redalen did?

Philo, Earheat and discgolfguy talked about how it was OK to move the ropes when Redalen did it, but they didn't say a word when GG wanted to move them.

It was very awkward and seemed to kill the card vibe.

Interesting how dominant Holyn and Jen was, , 10throws down to 3rd place!!
and Jen beat the other Jen by 28 throws...and Kona by 35!! . .in just 3 rounds

-12 from Carter Ahrens, who is he?!

He's a 15-16 year old kid (born in '07) who got 2nd in MJ12 at Junior Worlds in 2019 and 4th in MJ15 in 2021, at 14 years of age.

I've seen him in some DD vids and know he was a part of their group of bomber Junior players they sponsored.

His rating has gone up 30-70 points every year, and he looks to be on track to crack 1020 this year, and it wouldn't surprise me if he got to 1030. We'll be seeing more of him in the future if he keeps it up.

Interesting how dominant Holyn and Jen was, , 10throws down to 3rd place!!
and Jen beat the other Jen by 28 throws...and Kona by 35!! . .in just 3 rounds

Yes it was a 2 person show for certain.

Just out of curiousity, who is the other Jen? I didn't see a Jen at 5 over.

About the ropes for crowd control… in R2, Cole Redalen asked the TD, got permission, and then pulled the ropes down for a throw. In R3 GG wanted more relief from the ropes, Calvin shut him down, then GG threw his shot in frustration. Why did GG not just take the ropes down like Redalen did?

Philo, Earheat and discgolfguy talked about how it was OK to move the ropes when Redalen did it, but they didn't say a word when GG wanted to move them.

I wondered the same thing.

GG was not OB.
He was able to extend his lie out to one meter.
He wanted relief that he could extend his lie backwards in line with the basket.
Since he was not OB he cannot do that.
Can only extend your lie backwards in line if you are OB.
Happened a couple weeks ago in FPO

From the caddie book:
"Players may treat all spectator ropes and stakes as casual obstacles per PDGA Rule 803.01 (B) (1) if they are inbounds."

This in and of itself would require a waiver since the ropes were not on the playing surface but given the idea that a waiver had been granted both GG and Calvin were wrong and he was entitled to move it (the rope) but no other relief.

GG was not OB.
He wanted relief that he could extend his lie backwards in line with the basket.

From the caddie book:
"Players may treat all spectator ropes and stakes as casual obstacles per PDGA Rule 803.01 (B) (1) if they are inbounds."

This in and of itself would require a waiver since the ropes were not on the playing surface but given the idea that a waiver had been granted both GG and Calvin were wrong and he was entitled to move it (the rope) but no other relief.

Redalen the 18yo knew the rule. I didn't expect none of the veterans to know. With all the ropes on so many courses, the big arms who like alternate lines should especially know the rules.

Redalen the 18yo knew the rule. I didn't expect none of the veterans to know. With all the ropes on so many courses, the big arms who like alternate lines should especially know the rules.

Having created and distributed about a bazillion ground rule sheets over the years I will attest that reading that stuff is not very high on the priority list for the bulk of players Am or Pro. Good on Redalen.

GG was not OB.

I haven't watched the footage in question, but for those who were unaware.

GG could have taken relief backwards with the line of play, if he was willing to take a 1-stroke penalty for doing so.

Players always can take optional relief along the line of play with a 1-stroke penalty. You simply get free optional relief along the line of play if the disc went OB.

As far as the obstacles and whether or not they can be moved if they are inbounds at this event, I'll defer to those more in the know of what was allowed at this event.

Rule 803.02

Latest posts