• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2023 Innova Blue Ridge Championship at North Cove (DGPT Silver)

The FPO course looks like fun. Very scenic with that creek winding all through it, and some very tricky basket placements.

Overall the course looks amazing.

There are some things I liked that were different and some that I didn't.

I liked how the old sand trap was used as the in bounds island on one of the front 9 holes. Interesting because it was easy to visualize and the sand seemed to slow discs down and keep them in bounds. It also played into one my cons of the course though…OB tighter than C1.

I think it's just a mental thing…land in C1 and you should have a putt. Not necessarily saying it's a completely free and clear putt…I loved the boulders inside the circle. It either forces players to make an unconventional putt or really try to control the direction they approach the green from. OB that close to the basket just seems a bit too much…a bad basket break is already costing a stroke, to roll away 15-20 feet shouldn't cost you another due to OB.

As far as the OB lines right on the edge of the woods, I wonder if that determination was made for the sake of recording and viewing? Instead of watching somebody buried in the woods pitching back to the fairway it was decided that marking it OB then having players throw a relatively clean next shot was considered "better viewing"? I understand pitching back to the fairway is building in a natural OB stroke, and to me at least seems like a better solution than an artificial line, but curious as to the logic behind it.

They added some extra lines for this event but for the most part on the gorge the wood line was OB on most holes marked with whiskers. Some neighbors/roads that come into play beyond the trees

Very anti-climactic ending.

I loved the course for the most part, but it would have been nice to see something more on hole 18.

Post hidden to avoid spoiling the fun. ;)
Buhr's on a nice little roll, notching victories at:

The Memorial (not DGPT, but still a pretty big event)
The Open at Austin (DGPT Elite Series)
Blue Ridge Championship (DGPT Silver Series)

Post hidden to avoid spoiling the fun. ;)
Buhr's on a nice little roll, notching victories at:

The Memorial (not DGPT, but still a pretty big event)
The Open at Austin (DGPT Elite Series)
Blue Ridge Championship (DGPT Silver Series)

definitely s nice roll, but does everyone realize that Buhr is now the #4 ranked player in the world, #1 in the dominance factor on UDisc?

Last edited:
Fun to see Brodie get ONE good round, ,strange to do SO much better that R3 than the first two rounds

AJ Carey on his 15 - Hole 18. From Facebook:

AJ Carey
Sam Malone
The hole plays stroke and distance to the island. No point of exit, no drop zone. I hit in bounds 15ft from the pin on the island and rolled out 5 straight shots in a row. The hole shouldnt be allowed in PDGA play without being an X-tier. Had we played OB rules defined by the PDGA competition manual, I would have taken a 6. The island green is smaller than a C1 circle in size with OB 15-20ft from each side of the pin. I definitely should have laid up.

Kinda have to agree with this. Cant find now where it says so, but arent you always supposed to be able to advance even if you miss mandatory or go OB (well, if you fly over IB at any point)? Isnt holes like this precisely why the USDGC is also a X-tier?

Yeah I know about the waiver where last point IB can be taken away as an option. But then you have to have a drop zone, right?. Stroke and distance alone shouldnt be a thing.

AJ Carey on his 15 - Hole 18. From Facebook:

AJ Carey
Sam Malone
The hole plays stroke and distance to the island. No point of exit, no drop zone. I hit in bounds 15ft from the pin on the island and rolled out 5 straight shots in a row. The hole shouldnt be allowed in PDGA play without being an X-tier. Had we played OB rules defined by the PDGA competition manual, I would have taken a 6. The island green is smaller than a C1 circle in size with OB 15-20ft from each side of the pin. I definitely should have laid up.

Not exactly:
from the caddie book:
ISLAND GREEN: Throws must
come to rest safe on the island in order to
mark a lie on the island. After any throw
landing OB, proceed to the last point in
bounds on the main fairway. Once a lie
has been established on the island,
standard OB rules apply

So once you reach the point where you are throwing from the edge it becomes S&D. I do agree that there is no real need for the rules to be so convoluted in so many different places on the course. Makes both playing and watching less enjoyable as it is hard to keep up with what is what. And he is right...should have laid up.

There's enough land to lengthen the gorge enough to reduce the amount of artificial OB if they figure out how to hybridize the Gorge with the River Run course, the White level course that's not used at all in this event.

I'm not a fan of the baskets completely blocked by boulders or bushes in certain directions. Like if they raised hole 1 Gorge's basket enough where like half of the basket is above the tallest boulder I think it's fine. Holes 3 and 16 are goofy. My other big complaint are the raised baskets on skinny poles. Lack of depth perception (both playing and viewing) and IMO at least the bullseye should be relatively flat under a raised basket. Some of these greens are just as sketchy laying up to then actually running the putt.

There's enough land to lengthen the gorge enough to reduce the amount of artificial OB if they figure out how to hybridize the Gorge with the River Run course, the White level course that's not used at all in this event.

I'm not a fan of the baskets completely blocked by boulders or bushes in certain directions. Like if they raised hole 1 Gorge's basket enough where like half of the basket is above the tallest boulder I think it's fine. Holes 3 and 16 are goofy. My other big complaint are the raised baskets on skinny poles. Lack of depth perception (both playing and viewing) and IMO at least the bullseye should be relatively flat under a raised basket. Some of these greens are just as sketchy laying up to then actually running the putt.

I like the baskets that are way less accessible unless you are on the correct side. Good way to emphasize the approach game without adding penalties. According to one commentator or another one of A. Duvall's main goals with the course was to force difficult shots of less than 300 feet. This is something we don't see much of on tour and I think in general the course does a good job of that.

3 is one that I don't like very much due primarily to the irregular green that is hard to see from any distance away. I think i would like 16 better with the OB at the top of the slope instead of the bottom- seems like a lot of opportunity there for shots that are the same to receive way different results. The entire second card yesterday hit out and rolled back in if i recall correctly.

I heard one of the announcers say that hole #1 Boulders used on one of River Run's holes for the Silver.

There are also parts of that property without enough signal for live broadcast. Not sure if that enters this particular equation or not.

I also heard from the Kansas team that the Collegiate tournament is moving to South Carolina next year. Anyone know where ?