• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2023 LVC

I thought about starting a tread as the tournament started but people get mad when i dont start the treads the "right way" with all the links and stuff.

But a few things about R1.
Eveliina looks worse with the putter than last year.
Henna look ok in C1
Many FPO tryes to hard for the birdy when par in enough,
a lot of FPO players "soft putts" soes ONT work in the wind

Eagle looked strong in the F9 and then droped of.
Simon stays strong

Watched some of the MPO. Cold, cloudy and windy at a boring course with baskets that were rejecting solid putts- kind of how it is at my local course right now. Was hoping for something more uplifting from Las Vegas to improve my lagging late winter spirits.

I'm sure there are ball golf courses that would provide a setting for interesting disc golf layouts but this isn't the case with LVC. Too many holes are a long open drive down the ball golf fairway with an approach over the OB ball golf green to a basket on a mound. Sub-600-foot throwers need not apply.

To me the LVC makes clear how desperately professional disc golf is trying to become professional ball golf. It's a good indication of what the people running disc golf really mean when they espouse "GrOwInG tHe GaME".

-Game is increasingly tailored to favor big distance players, which obviously has a homogenizing effect on the types of players with a realistic chance at winning week-to-week
-Playing on ball golf courses, complete with the ace-the-hole-to-win-a-car gimmick
-Coverage feels exactly like ball golf coverage; announcers endlessly gushing over long drives, never saying anything interesting or provocative
-Inane post-round interviews full of dopey sports cliches ("What was your gameplan out there today? ... Well I just tried to stick to my gameplan, play one shot at a time, stay positive, etc"). Seems very forced and adds nothing
-Lots of advertising

Might seem unduly cynical but I like how disc golf was 10+ years ago, just as I liked how ball golf was 25+ years ago. I see where things are headed. I won't be watching any more of the Las Vegas turd or any of the other ball golf course snoozers. Wake me up when they have to hit gaps and overstable hyzer isn't the play on every other tee shot.

A few observations from an interesting round...

Eagle is absolutely annihilating his drives. Super fun to watch. He eagled hole 2, had a 40' eagle putt (pin-high left) on another par 4, and was in great position to attack for eagle again on the par 5. But WOW is he giving away a lot of strokes with his short game.

Calvin's putt looked off and he had a poor round in general, but he didn't lose his cool and held it together. Only 5 back of the lead.

Simon looked under control and consistent. Ultimately he made fewer mistakes than the other guys.

Paul looked solid as well. From what they showed of his card, he seemed to be pretty steady, but didn't convert some birdie opportunities that you would expect someone like Paul to make. Only two back of the lead.

Gannon got hot on the back 9, and were it not for at least two terrible spit-outs he could've been leading. In general, the baskets couldn't seem to catch anything. The high winds certainly contributed, but I don't know if I've ever seen so many bad spitouts on a pro tour course.

Last edited:
Super boring course, but still nice to have disc golf back :) sucks that they're having to deal with all this wind. it's a good equalizer but also not incredibly fun to watch people miss 20 footers

Is the wind supposed to be down at all today compared to yesterday? FPO especially had some howling straight winds.
It seems like weather and lucky/unlucky disc action is just as important as the initial throw - from tee to green. Made good throws bad and bad throws good.

Is the wind supposed to be down at all today compared to yesterday? FPO especially had some howling straight winds.
It seems like weather and lucky/unlucky disc action is just as important as the initial throw - from tee to green. Made good throws bad and bad throws good.

unfortunately no, not really. hopefully things improve on Sunday

7jNrQJn.jpeg

Super boring course, but still nice to have disc golf back :) sucks that they're having to deal with all this wind. it's a good equalizer but also not incredibly fun to watch people miss 20 footers

Wind is a randomizer, but it is the opposite of an equalizer.

Yup.. A good wind favours the big lumper discs for folks with a huge arm. It devolves from finesse flights, lines and angles down to throwing the least aerodynamic disc like it's a stone on the least exciting line and testing your luck.

Last edited:
Performance Tracks, round 1.

attachment.php

Attachments

• LVC1.jpg
    LVC1.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 247
Every player on the lead card today is throwing new plastic this year. Maybe there is something to getting dialed in with some fresh plastic.

It stinks when it's cold as about 90% of the players wear all black clothing for coldish weather. :thmbdown:

Every player on the lead card today is throwing new plastic this year. Maybe there is something to getting dialed in with some fresh plastic.

I would think that having what seems like a quick adjustment to a new bag would be easier on a wide open, hyzer-fest course than one that requires you to shape lines through the woods. The LVC courses aren't the sort that demand "every shot in your bag". I'm sure the overstable drivers are getting a workout this weekend.

I would think that having what seems like a quick adjustment to a new bag would be easier on a wide open, hyzer-fest course than one that requires you to shape lines through the woods. The LVC courses aren't the sort that demand "every shot in your bag". I'm sure the overstable drivers are getting a workout this weekend.

I think the same thing - "Let me use LVC to fine tune my new bag before I have to play on tight wooded courses where I need more finesse."

Barela is wearing rock star sunglasses.
He's playing like a rock star too!:clap: