• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2023 LWS at Idlewild

Tough weekend for C. Allen & S. Ananda. Lots of penalty strokes can really takes golfers out of contention at Idlewild if going OB early. Challenging to transition/fine tune the backhand form from open courses to more wooded if you've been trying to train for distance.
Feels like many of the FPO players are very inconsistent. ..Kristin is the anomaly.
They can win one week and the next be out of the top 30
Nice to see Walker do well, but who would have guessed that after the year she have had
Yep, most of the 930-950 rated golfers will have a good round per tournament and a couple average & below ones. Sometimes that is the first round and other times its the final. Some golfers have a course style that suits them better than others and we should probably look up more historical finishes at courses vs. current season.

Madison Walker Past results at Idlewild:
YearFinishing Position(total score)/Total Competitors
2022T6th (219)/48
202111th (213)/35
20193rd (216)/23
20187th (233)/19

So how does the card warning for slow play work? They mentioned the top card got 2 of these R2 on Jomez. And made some good discussion on it. I think hole 6 was where most of that talk was.

Anyone got a link to that rule?

So how does the card warning for slow play work? They mentioned the top card got 2 of these R2 on Jomez. And made some good discussion on it. I think hole 6 was where most of that talk was.

Anyone got a link to that rule?
I was wondering this myself.
Is this more about prodding the players to walk faster and get to their lies quicker?
What else can be done if none of the players are violating the 30 second "shot clock"?

Micah Groth up 76 spots with a -14 round.
Callaway up 73 with a -13 round.
They will probably end up "only" gaining 40-45 spots when the day is done, but WOW, those are some scorching rounds from players that were only -2 and -1 starting the day.
and -14 with leaving a few out there

would be great to watch a a 10 min solo round highlight from groth

Just watched the MPO second round. WTF. FIrst, I think it is a horrible look and poor decision to announce a stop time and then change it. I am all for flexibility, but then do not set a time. And why would any TD allow a card to determine if they wanted to finish? IMO, that is a TD or event decision. I would think it could be a real disadvantage to the two cards in front, who hustled to finish. I think it was all a bush league look.

Just watched the MPO second round. WTF. FIrst, I think it is a horrible look and poor decision to announce a stop time and then change it. I am all for flexibility, but then do not set a time. And why would any TD allow a card to determine if they wanted to finish? IMO, that is a TD or event decision. I would think it could be a real disadvantage to the two cards in front, who hustled to finish. I think it was all a bush league look.
It was ridiculously dark by the time they left the course. I couldn't believe they were still making/letting them play.

It was ridiculously dark by the time they left the course. I couldn't believe they were still making/letting them play.

My understanding is that the group decided they wanted to finish the last 2 holes so that they wouldn't need to come back first thing in the morning.

The tourney organizers blew the horn to signal the players to mark their lies and leave the course, but the players over rode that and decided to finish.

My understanding is that the group decided they wanted to finish the last 2 holes so that they wouldn't need to come back first thing in the morning.

The tourney organizers blew the horn to signal the players to mark their lies and leave the course, but the players over rode that and decided to finish.
That is completely absurd- not their decision to make.

That is completely absurd- not their decision to make.
Jeff Spring allowed it after conversation. So ultimately it was the TD / DGPT. I'm assuming you didn't watch live coverage? The announcers discussed it.

What is the issue?

Jeff Spring allowed it after conversation. So ultimately it was the TD / DGPT. I'm assuming you didn't watch live coverage? The announcers discussed it.

What is the issue?
I watched it but was also doing other things so missed the conversation about it aspect evidently.

As a TD I take issue with the "inmates running the asylum" aspect of it to begin with- someone in a position of (supposed) authority struggled with the decision and decided enough is enough. That should have been it right there. There are potential safety issues with wandering around the woods in the dark as well as potential issues with play like simply being unable to find a disc. Your staff has been out there since some time very early in the morning and have to stick around because the players decide not to listen when the round is called for the day. Your spectators are wandering around in the dark woods as well. Your coverage looks like sh*t because it was shot in the dark., etc.

I see it as no different than deciding to continue to play in a lightning delay- just a lesser degree of safety concern.

In a supposedly self-officiated sport there are many decisions that the players get to make which dictate how things go (including enforcing/not enforcing speed of play rules which is partially how they got to that point to begin with)- this simply is not one of them.

Latest posts