• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2023 Pro Worlds - Smuggler's Notch

No Wiggins huh. At 1000 he's not cashing so I guess the whole cost/benefit. Man, he is still a young guy, I gotta think it's probably pretty frustrating for him that he simply can't put together consistent shots and putting.

All that power, and he can power a forehand shot pretty darn far too.
Wiggins started so young, I'm sure he's gotten a bit burnt out on the tour life. He seems to have the best of both worlds right now anyways.

Also, I don't think his putting ever set him back. If anything, his putters kept him competitive between his prowess in throwing them and putting them. Whenever I've watched him play, I've always been a lot more impressed with his shot-shaping with his P2, than his distance drivers off the tee.

Eliezra Midtyling won the FPO Long Drive

If David cared enough about playing dg to practice he would do so and be much better. He would rather fish imo. I don't think he is frustrated by it at all.
Biscoe, you can fish till your 80, or 90, or hell, till the day you die. You only get to be a 20- something ripper for so long. But you're probably right on your point- he doesn't care enough. Is what it is.

No Wiggins huh. At 1000 he's not cashing so I guess the whole cost/benefit. Man, he is still a young guy, I gotta think it's probably pretty frustrating for him that he simply can't put together consistent shots and putting.

All that power, and he can power a forehand shot pretty darn far too.
More likely "choosing not to put together consistent shots and putting."

I highly doubt David Wiggins Jr "can't" put together consistent shots and putting. He may only be rated 1005 right now - but if you look at his rating profile: the last time DWJ had at least 30 rounds on his rating profile AND as rated below 1010 it was March of 2011. When he's playing regularly, his rating is at worst 1010.

He has only played 2 tournaments in 2023.
2022, with 12 tournaments, was the first time since 2012 that he played more than 6.

David Wiggins Jr. can put together consistent shots and putting.

He just doesn't play high level disc golf as often as fans want, nor as much as is necessary to show the talent that everyone who saw him play as a youth knows he's capable of.

Just an absolute phenom.

Remember 2008 Worlds? Wiggins Jr, young enough to play the under 13 division, wins the under 19 division with 991 golf across 8 rounds. That average round rating would have got him 2nd place in Advanced.

He reached 1020 rated at the ripe old age of 16.

Wiggins can play consistent golf and putt. I'm certain of that.

He was I think 12 when he was crushing the grownups at the post-tourny distance competition at the Horizon Park Classic in 06 or so - with Rocs vs their distance drivers.
But I get it, he wants new challenges and to have time to enjoy other things. It was amazing to watch him throw for all those years, and I know he'll be amazing at whatever is next for him.

More likely "choosing not to put together consistent shots and putting."

I highly doubt David Wiggins Jr "can't" put together consistent shots and putting. He may only be rated 1005 right now - but if you look at his rating profile: the last time DWJ had at least 30 rounds on his rating profile AND as rated below 1010 it was March of 2011. When he's playing regularly, his rating is at worst 1010.

He has only played 2 tournaments in 2023.
2022, with 12 tournaments, was the first time since 2012 that he played more than 6.

David Wiggins Jr. can put together consistent shots and putting.

He just doesn't play high level disc golf as often as fans want, nor as much as is necessary to show the talent that everyone who saw him play as a youth knows he's capable of.

Just an absolute phenom.

Remember 2008 Worlds? Wiggins Jr, young enough to play the under 13 division, wins the under 19 division with 991 golf across 8 rounds. That average round rating would have got him 2nd place in Advanced.

He reached 1020 rated at the ripe old age of 16.

Wiggins can play consistent golf and putt. I'm certain of that.
I remember 08 worlds vividly because I was playing in that division and he whooped me. :) I only beat him one round by 2 strokes and he was basically 8 strokes better on every other round. Too bad I can't find the distance comp results for 08.

Looks like a missed opportunity to do the final round with 9 holes on Brewster followed by 9 holes on Fox Run. It would be a more balanced way to do the final round when the two courses are significantly different and happen to be next to each other. Back when Houck and I were more involved creating or advising on Final 9 setups in the older Worlds format, we would try to create layouts that represented the holes on courses players played during prelim rounds that got them to the finals. Smuggs is a perfect venue to produce that ideal final course balance.

I may be recalling this incorrectly but didn't Little Wiggy sweep all the field events at Am Worlds one year as well?

I have seen David a couple times over the last few years- he has been coming to play the VTI.
According to the first paragraph in big text on the front page of his web page... no.

It was Professional Worlds.

I remember 08 worlds vividly because I was playing in that division and he whooped me. :) I only beat him one round by 2 strokes and he was basically 8 strokes better on every other round. Too bad I can't find the distance comp results for 08.
My big memory in person was 2010 Amateur Nationals. I went to watch Ricky play his final round and Wiggins Jr was just astonishing.

That was a hell of a talented card, too... Leif Swenson, Ricky Wysocki, David Wiggins Jr.... and a Grandmasters player from Canada. I think Rob Martinek said, at one point, that he was older than all 3 of the others on lead card combined.

I realize I'm bumping my own thread elsewhere, but since it's a graphic of how pros have played Fox Run 18 over the years, it seems relevant to this thread too: Data Driven Disc Golf

3dg for a link to the graphic

Anyone know why the lead card is Barsby...Wysocki...McBeth...and Dickerson and not Conrad? Would have been an epic feature card, perhaps only time with 4 former champs?
Dickerson won GMC in '21 and T2 in '22 (tied with the winner Wysocki through final round hole 17 and took a triple bogie 7 on 18). So 4 former Elite/Major tournament champions on these courses specifically. Barsby and McBeth take the spot over Jones due to Worlds '18 and '22 winners.

Still an epic pair of feature cards and hope Jones and Conrad both have good weekends to make coverage. Always entertaining with them in the mix.

PMB says he's out rest of season after World's. And putting is where shoulder is most painful/issue. Hard to imagine him being competitive for 5 rounds given the circumstances.

There are so many MPO players that could win and not really be a surprise.

FPO, it feels like KT or Ohn and the rest.

Still can't put PMB outside the top 2 until he actually doesn't at Worlds. Also hard to say this year won't be a first-time winner after the season we've had.

My heart says Matty-O is playing great golf this year, always does great at Worlds and his game suits both courses well. Would be an epic win for an "old guy" but it's more likely to be either Buhr or I. Robinson and then PMB 2nd.

KT's nagging injuries seem like the only way Ohn wins, but it's still more like Tattar vs the field.