• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2023 Pro Worlds - Smuggler's Notch

Looking back that first round was a very big part of how this turned out. . Eagle, Klein, Dickerson, Lizotte many others had a really bad first round..
Eagle lost 5 throws to Isaac in that first round. .and in the end he was just 3 behind.
I dont think Isaac had a single hot round. . but he did not have a really bad one either

Looks like Isaac average of 1058 over the five rounds. . is that "normal" for a Worlds?

Kristin at 1007 sounds Low but she played safe the last 6 holes and that cost her rating points

So...which brand had the best Worlds?

Prodigy had a really good MPO tournament, the win and 3 players in the top ten
On the FPO side its harder, Discraft had 3,5 (one DGA) players in the top 10 . . .Lat 64 has Kristin, do they need more?

Looks like Isaac average of 1058 over the five rounds. . is that "normal" for a Worlds?

Kristin at 1007 sounds Low but she played safe the last 6 holes and that cost her rating points
In the recent 5 round Worlds era it looks like 1058 tends to be right around the big money line in MPO. 1058-ish was good enough for 3 of the 5 wins. Exactly 1058 is the lowest since 2018 but probably within the margin of error.

1693834791704.png

Notable 2nd place finishes in the 5 round era
In 2019, Ricky posted a 2nd place 1072.6 average (!), which blew third place out of the water and probably would have been an easy win if Paul hadn't been there to McBeast his way to a 1073.6 average.

In 2021, Paul's 2nd place 1061.8 was still outstanding in the scope of recent Worlds performances.

The McBeth/Wysocki era ends... for now
In 2023, Paul put up a 1041 average and Ricky a 1043.8 which are still outstanding golf over 5 rounds, but only good for T-13th and 12th, respectively!

Can the phenoms regain the magic in the next decade with all the young bucks coming up in abundance?

Will Paul heal like Wolverine and come back as Dad McBeast? What will his children think of him if he doesn't become 13x?

1693834474150.png

Does Ricky really believe consistent performance throughout the year is better than winning Worlds, or will he chafe at a legacy perceived as second fiddle to the 6x?

Are Robinson and Conrad evidence that you can believe discs cannot be thrown forehand and break through for the big win for years to come?

Will KT continue to stay healthy and scorch the earth on the way to 6x?

Attachments

• 1693834570537.png
    1693834570537.png
    15.2 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Eagle's tree hit on 15 was crushing, just like the roll away on 16 that landed softly on the pole, and the miracle 17 drive that skidded OB long. He'll have nightmares.

Prodigy
has some decisions to make.

Performance Tracks.

Sorry, I don't know how to put these behind a Spoiler wall anymore.

Attachments

• Worlds23TracksFPO.png
    Worlds23TracksFPO.png
    135.7 KB · Views: 1
  • Worlds23TracksMPO.png
    Worlds23TracksMPO.png
    130.7 KB · Views: 1
Does Ricky really believe consistent performance throughout the year is better than winning Worlds, or will he chafe at a legacy perceived as second fiddle to the 6x?
He can say all he wants. I may be overstepping given I haven't spent significant time with him in over 10 years - but I feel comfortable saying the answer to these questions are, in order, no and yes. Rick knows what these World Titles mean, and he wants them, and he absolutely (even if he's a realist and understands how hard/impossible that is at this stage) wants to find a way to GOAT status.

Fun to guess. .
I think Kristin will be a 3X and then quit
I think the next five years will have five different World Champs in MPO

"Who won Worlds in xxxx" is way more googleable and or easy to remember than "who was consistently in the top 5 but never really got there to win any really big deal of a tournament anyone can remember but when you really think about it, was an all around awesome dude and a disc golfer extraordinaire, yet sans any title in the year xxxx"

Or I dont know, the chatGPT these days might come up with a pretty good answer to that too.

At least Calvin isnt whining about it.

"Who won Worlds in xxxx" is way more googleable and or easy to remember than "who was consistently in the top 5 but never really got there to win any really big deal of a tournament anyone can remember but when you really think about it, was an all around awesome dude and a disc golfer extraordinaire, yet sans any title in the year xxxx"

Or I dont know, the chatGPT these days might come up with a pretty good answer to that too.

At least Calvin isnt whining about it.
I asked ai that for the year 2009.

"Based on the year 2009, one player who fits that description is Nikko Locastro. In 2009, he had multiple strong finishes in top-tier events such as the Vibram Open and the Players Cup, but did not win any major titles that year. However, he was consistently in the top 5 and regarded as one of the best disc golfers in the sport. Locastro is known for his unique throwing style and powerful drives, as well as his dedication to improving his mental game on the course."

Fun to guess. .
I think Kristin will be a 3X and then quit
I think the next five years will have five different World Champs in MPO
She said in her interview with Brodie and Uli a few months ago (start at ~15 minutes in) that she wants to win European Open and European Championship, those are her two other big tournaments. Well, check and check. She's not really sure after her contract is up, and that whenever her "fire" fades away she'll find another outlet. Once she doesn't feel disc golf is fulfilling her anymore she'll step away.

Seems like the big goals are achieved. Maybe the pressure is off now. Maybe it's getting to 1000. Only she knows that.

I asked ai that for the year 2009.

"Based on the year 2009, one player who fits that description is Nikko Locastro. In 2009, he had multiple strong finishes in top-tier events such as the Vibram Open and the Players Cup, but did not win any major titles that year. However, he was consistently in the top 5 and regarded as one of the best disc golfers in the sport. Locastro is known for his unique throwing style and powerful drives, as well as his dedication to improving his mental game on the course."
Why AI isn't quite ready to conquer the world number 5,023,278...

Why AI isn't quite ready to conquer the world number 5,023,278...
It also took 5 tries at giving me a reasonable response after first trying to convince me that 2022 was in the future.

Maybe it knows about gateway era nikko.