• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

23mph

Focus on throwing smooth and clean. In terms of putting, you better be confident. If you aren't, putting with an upside down overstable driver helps too. Oh, there's also the old practice, practice, practice.

haha...yeah, i remember my first time attempting a round in high winds. we were playing in 30 mph the other day.

i'll give you a tip i learned from that - don't putt nose down in a tailwind. just putt flat in all conditions if possible. your disc will immediately gain 15' of height and go like 50' past the basket that was 10' in front of you.

23 mph winds aren't bad at all. In fact, I bet that's average for my course. anything outside of 20ft is a prayer usually.

23 mph?? That's a slight breeze out here in west Texas...that's been our average since the beginning of March..

Doesn't seem so bad. What were the winds on Sunday at the GBO last year, 40?

At least. I had two putts I threw from inside ten feet slap the pole and get blown out only to roll another 40-50 OB. It was laughable. Gusts had to be closer to 50 but steady 40.

OP it's rough man but with more windy day playing you find tricks and ways to use it to your advantage sometimes. Other times you just have to play it for what it is. A humbling bit of comedy and good times. On the worst days when it's a tourney round or a least important I just flip the putter upside down and slide it up under the basket on the grass. You can drop one in easily. Much better than getting the flight plate vertical and blowing it up and behind you sixty feet for a 3 or 4 putt.

You have to compensate for the wind, but you also have to know how to play smart in those conditions. If you putt with even a bit of hyzer or annie in really strong winds, you give the wind more surface area to work with, making it more likely to take your shot off the intended line. Chances are you'll score lower if you lay-up and keep approaches low, unless you're close enough to put with confidence, and when you do run at the chains, "putt like you mean it" ...the more momentum your disc has, the more work the wind has to do to take your putt off it's line.

23 mph?? That's a slight breeze out here in west Texas...that's been our average since the beginning of March..

misc-true-story-realistic-l.png

wind seems to be a part of the deal on everything but the most wooded courses.

you either learn to live with it and make it your ally when possible... or you fail miserably and cut out a significant amount of days you could be out on the course playing.

hell, if we get 10-15mph winds up here I consider it a reasonable day. I'll admit though... anything over 20+ and it starts to get comical.

there are 2 quotes from Chris Hysell i will never forget:

"The wind is no excuse for your lousy putting"

and

"Less clothes, less throws"

So mayhaps the easiest way to get better at windy putting is to go commando.

Wind makes things interesting. Not knowing the physics of what your disc does in the wind makes things really interesting.

I am sad that I will miss Glass Blown this year. It honestly taught me a lot about playing in the wind.

I played in a steady 45 mph wind the other day before a storm. It was comical. I learned nothing and I saw disc's do things I wouldn't have imagined. 23 is a stiff wind and will mess with you if you are not properly equipped.

Come to Oklahoma and play - "where the wind comes sweepin' down the plain" is no joke. 23 mph is about the same as the breeze from a mosquito fart compared to some of the times I've played in Tulsa.

We were also at some very high altitude an the level ground I no it was 23mph tho up on these hills much much faster I seen a few puts hit the chains an literally fly back 20 feet or more

Played in 23 mph winds today putting from 10 ft wasn't even a option it's was horrible what is there to do in winds like that
That's an average day in the spring around here. I just play as normal. We're looking at about 30 mph here tomorrow.

Give Discraft some credit. Ron Convers is no longer sponsored with them, but they kept his wind tutorial up.

http://www.discraft.com/res_wind06_p1.html

Last edited:
One of the most hilarious rounds Ashleigh and I played was on a wide open course in nowheresville Kansas. We had 50mph winds with 80mph gusts, it was hard to just walk let alone throw. I had a 15 putt with an upside down firebird get picked up and thrown over 100' behind me. After that the 20-30mph wind days just don't seem quite so frustrating. :p

Come to Oklahoma and play - "where the wind comes sweepin' down the plain" is no joke. 23 mph is about the same as the breeze from a mosquito fart compared to some of the times I've played in Tulsa.

lulz!

One of the most hilarious rounds Ashleigh and I played was on a wide open course in nowheresville Kansas. We had 50mph winds with 80mph gusts, it was hard to just walk let alone throw. I had a 15 putt with an upside down firebird get picked up and thrown over 100' behind me. After that the 20-30mph wind days just don't seem quite so frustrating. :p

Dang, that's insane...