• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

3 finger grip

How many fingers for your Big Dog(driver)

• Total voters
I've been using the four finger grip Climo recommends:

It has helped my game a lot.

I think it's the other way around usually.

THe 4 finger grip is called the power grip for a reason. The less resistance the better you will be accurately. Now if you are using a 4 finger fan grip then that is a different story.

THe 4 finger grip is called the power grip for a reason. The less resistance the better you will be accurately. Now if you are using a 4 finger fan grip then that is a different story.

Less resistence actually has more of an effect on power for most. The pinkey does more for stabilizing than it does for grip. You're quite unusual if this is innaccurate. And a 3 finger grip is still a 'power grip'. I think this is a link to a clinic that goes over this. If it's not, I'm sorry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sxw8ix0CYs

I have a different grip that I have to use due to a problem with my hand.I have a cyst in the first joint of my ring finger and it became more and more painful each year.

Here is the grip I use.(sorry,I have no pictures so I will describe it.)

Index Finger under rim,Middle finger under the rim,Ring finger stacked right on top of middle finger and pinky under rim.

This grip has good control along with really good power.You can use it for mid-range discs as well.Even though I have this problem with my hand I can still get my disc over 400ft sometimes.

I use a three finger and I have been changing it slightly over the past year away from a four finger. I was struggling to keep a consant grip on the rim. (I have shorter fingers and the pinky was getting in the way since I broke it years agao in baseball and it has a slight curve over in the first knuckle up from the palm.

^^^ This

I also use a 3-finger grip for my drivers (putters and mids I go 4-finger) because after braking my throwing hand last year, my pinky makes a "lazy upside-down J" and it's more of a hinderance to grip than a help. As mentioned above, the shallow(er) rim of mids and putters allow me to get a traditional 4-finger power grip, but any wider than that it's a crap shoot for grip consistency.

i've been experimenting with a variant of the 3 finger power grip. It's looks kinda like "circle change up" where i put my index finger curled on top, with my thumb pressing down on top of it. Then it is just a normal 3 finger under. A couple of guys around here use it and it really really helps to get that nose down. I get a lot of snap from it. Also, i only use it on 10/11+ speed discs. Sometimes i use it on my PDs sometimes not.

i've been experimenting with a variant of the 3 finger power grip. It's looks kinda like "circle change up" where i put my index finger curled on top, with my thumb pressing down on top of it. Then it is just a normal 3 finger under. A couple of guys around here use it and it really really helps to get that nose down. I get a lot of snap from it. Also, i only use it on 10/11+ speed discs. Sometimes i use it on my PDs sometimes not.
ive seen people do that but with the finger on top of the thumb

I drive about 425-450 with 2 finger. I have little spin. I oddly can drive my Pig 350' so I'm losing power somewhere. I assumed I was losing power in my torque monkey/like too many step approach. Maybe if I could switch to the 4 finger power grip i saw in Avery's Inside the game Discmania video I could throw the driver farther and more accurately?

It really doesn't matter because I'm the worst putter ever. I have to park it to make my putt.

if you throw 450 maybe you should teach avery to throw in your video

if you don't believe Im going to galveston/houston and will be throwing Mozolla downtown and hitchcock/jack brooks weekend after nextif i dont play Manor, tx tourney, and .....avery can throw 500 everytime, Im 80%.

but yeah i'm parking hole 1 at Arcadia PDGA in Fort Worth this saturday with a Viper.

Then I'm missing that putt.

I use a 4 finger grip on all but one shot. It helps me on larger anny shots to go with a 3 finger grip. I know that it helps me to get that pinky outta the way with that motion. I have also heard that it helps free up the wrist, the pinky on is supposed to lock the wrist out and prevent a more fluid anny release. I'm no doctor, but the dude that told me this has been bustin discs at La Mirada for over 30 years.

I've never even heard of a three finger grip. I've only ever used four.

i went to a three finger grip about 2 months ago and and very happy with it. after i switched i didnt turn discs over as much, and get about 50ft farther on drives now. i went from throwing eagles on 350ft holes to throwing a buzzz on those holes now. i dont see a loss of control either. maybe a gain if im honest. i have small hands too so maybe thats why.

if you don't believe Im going to galveston/houston and will be throwing Mozolla downtown and hitchcock/jack brooks weekend after nextif i dont play Manor, tx tourney, and .....avery can throw 500 everytime, Im 80%.

but yeah i'm parking hole 1 at Arcadia PDGA in Fort Worth this saturday with a Viper.

Then I'm missing that putt.

have fun , bring water:thmbup:

This is the newest of the four threads I found, so I'm adding my post here. The others I'll list at the end.

I have a bent pinky finger (see here if you want) and with a four-finger grip my pinky finger wants to curl or rest a little too much on top of my ring finger, so I've recently started curling it instead of wrapping it around the disc.

I notice less OAT and a cleaner release. I don't think the pinky finger contributes much of anything in anyone's throw with drivers (I think it can help stabilize the disc plane in shorter approaches and putts), so a part of me is cynical about the claims made above and in the other threads about whether three or four fingers is better for control or distance - they're probably six of one, half dozen of the other. The ring finger is a good bit stronger, so I don't think the argument extends to "two vs. three."

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57956
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38192
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1987

Latest posts