• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

3 finger grip

How many fingers for your Big Dog(driver)

• Total voters
When I got my first three DG discs I had no idea that I should grip them any differently than I had always gripped a Frisbee in the past. So I ran my finger across the leading edge of all of my discs for probably a year before I found DGCR and discovered a "power grip." The 3 finger grip just felt more comfortable to me and it's stuck.

I've only been throwing driving backhand for the past 2.5 years, so my experience is limited. But I feel that I get a much better snap with better accuracy using a 3 fingered power grip. My pinkie seems to add just a little too much grip on the disc and it decreases accuracy and increases my chance to grip lock the disc.

3 fingers all the way.

RHFH I used just my single index finger and my thumb on top and can snap a disc 360ft easy.

I've only been throwing driving backhand for the past 2.5 years, so my experience is limited. But I feel that I get a much better snap with better accuracy using a 3 fingered power grip. My pinkie seems to add just a little too much grip on the disc and it decreases accuracy and increases my chance to grip lock the disc.

3 fingers all the way.

RHFH I used just my single index finger and my thumb on top and can snap a disc 360ft easy.

me too! I use 3 fingers BH and 1 finger FH :hfive:

Always used 2 finger grip both BH and FH until I started reading this thread. Changed the BH to 3 fingers for todays field practice and it feels comfortable. Cant say that Ive noticed and increase or decrease in distance, but accuracy may be a little bit improved.

For me 3 fingers is easier to keep the nose down than 4 fingers.

I use three under the rim, keeping my pinky curled back, and pinch the rim fairly hard with my thumb and index finger. I have toyed with just two fingers under the rim but I tend to flip my disc over a little too much so I pretty much reserve this grip for a BH roller.

I was looking at a new disc I had just got in the mail, and switched fom the 4 finger grip I had been using to a 3 finger grip, just fooling around, but I thought right away that it felt better for my hand. I've been throwing 3 finger shots for a couple weeks now, and I feel like I have better distance and fewer issues with griplock and other release problems.

I use four for the big dogs (Destroyer etc) now, but I was throwing 3 finger for a long time.

I had a problem with what I called "Hammer Pinky," where my pinky finger sort of locked up on the rim and wouldn't let go. One finger griplock.

So, I started putting the tip of my pinky in my palm instead of under the rim...problem solved.

I've now gone back to some 4 finger long drives, because I FEEL like I get more on them, but the 3 finger works for me on most driver shots.

I switched to 3 a few weeks ago and noticed the disc is ripping out of my hand faster and getting some more distance. Works great for high speed drivers and overstable mids. For putter drives and most other mids I use 4 instead to keep from over-torquing it.

I have small(ish) hands and all my favorite high speeds like the nuke, boss and destroyer, ect have big rims that by fingers don't all fit under. I started trying the 3 finger out recently but it feels a little awkward coming from a four finger grip. I can see this grip allowing me to drive further in the long run though.

So wouldn't 4 fingers under and thumb be considered 5 in the poll??

it depends on the person who is asking. I'm assuming that he is not counting the thumb as a finger.

"The thumb on the human hand has only two phalanges whereas human fingers each have 3 phalanges. This give the thumb greater movement and enables it to do things the fingers can't do. Collectively the fingers and thumbs are known as digits. The thumb is said to be opposable to the fingers.

By definition, the thumb is both a finger and not a finger. "Finger" can mean any of the four digits besides the thumb OR any digit including the thumb. It is up to the person to decide whether or not the thumb is considered a finger."

I played a mini at audubon, some guy was using a 2 finger grip for drives. I was confused, but it was interesting to watch him throw it. He was a solid player. Definitely better than me lol.

I have huge clown hands. My elongated fingers don't leave a lot of room in the rim for a pinky to grab onto much.

BH, for drives (all disc kinds), I use 3 fingers. I still do finesse approaching and putts with all 4 fingers inside the rim.

FH, I'm a one finger in guy. I know 2 is more proper, but ... feels bad man.

BH: 450ft, FH 350ft in normal condition max distance.

Been using 3 since I started, tried to make the move to 4 but 3 just works for me and has done me well

Latest posts