• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

300’ barrier

Think of this more like playing a guitar. You are now practicing the song, reps reps reps. IMO this is the most natural looking swing youve had so far. Even if there are some hitches here and there it does not look so mechanical.

Morning,

Counting has helped; keeping that tempo in my head/saying it out loud helps to keep me from focusing on specific body positions.

In the behind view I can see that I am out over my toes too much, but if I stand up taller, I have hard time getting my shoulder to pendulum.

Sequence still doesn't look like quite right, but I believe its starting to move in the right direction again.

Rhythm looking better there.

Try it standing upright and swinging on more horizontal/anhyzer like Chris, shoulder and elbow up above disc. Note how his disc is only behind his body when his elbow is bent, and when he straightens the elbow the disc is wide toward the left tee side. You want more change of direction of the disc like sine wave or >l out-in-out from your chest, rather than circle around your body.

Hey all. Back after a total right knee replacement (September 8, 2020). Taking things slow, but have been given the all clear to resume my normal physical activities. Although my extension and flexion is not where I want it (105 degree max flex : 10 degree max extension), my knee has not felt this good in a long time.

Still swinging this hammer. Just trying to focus on staying balanced, smooth with a pendulum type of swing. If nothing else, I am happy to be back throwing again :)

Let yourself shift a little more away to start the backswing and move your middle more forward leaving the upper body back more.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QI5NgYBk2cY#t=4m10s

attachment.php

Attachments

• jet me hammer 3.jpg
    jet me hammer 3.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 76
Back. Been playing pretty well, but distance still about where it has been (325-350ish). Thought I would start similar to where I left off (Sledgehammer). Looks a little better compared to last year.

Grip one-arm with your forearm almost wrapped around the handle to help leverage and take strain off wrist. Keep the swing pulled taut all the way (dont' try to hit/create slack) and swing it harder back and forth or windmill around, pulling your center/feet off ground.

bwPdAqC.png

Feels like I am not getting tossed around as much as I am controlling the sledge with my body. Not sure about my grip wrist orientation though? If I bring my wrist closer to the end it makes it tough on the wrist to swing.

Just don't forget the task at hand. It's not just swinging the sledgehammer around aimlessly, it's smashing through something right out over your front foot. If you give your body this task, it'll feel a lot more natural.

Started writing this before second vid, which is definitely better...

Swinging the hammer incorrectly with no regard for nose/head angle. Your front foot is spinning out open, trying to use your weight instead of the hammer's weight. When you transition from backswing forward the nose/head of the hammer goes up instead of down. Too much lag and too much rotation. Your rear arm just keeps going around you, there is no swim/push back to release the front arm.

Your hammer head is vertical facing the ceiling at the finish of the pump/top of the swing (and your followthru in bigger swings) about 90 degrees off where I have it. Should be horizontal and facing right tee pad side, and turned nose or face down after swinging through the nail/door frame into followthru. The head of the hammer needs to rotate back and forth with your whole arm, the hammer should hit the nail flush horizontal just over the front foot, not at the top of the swing, but at the bottom of the swing arc. Drop your front shoulder and let the arm hang completely loose, and keep wrist locked from flexion/extension - you don't use that wrist motion to hammer, only maybe some ulnar deviation to pound it, but wrist is stiff/locked from flex/extend with hammer - feels same with disc. Swing the arm/hammer from the shoulder/s - Reciprocating Dingle Arm.

40SLT8T.png

I've you're having trouble with it, I suggest actually swinging the sledge into a target that you don't care about along the swing path. You'll get a much less accurate and weaker swing if the mechanics aren't right, so hitting the target can be useful feedback.

A little older and a lot more hair, but my desire to throw 400' is starting to burn again...

This real-time slow motion swing is not how I am throwing. I still continue to push over the top or tipping forward to generate power. I need to do this real-time slow motion more often as I can feel and see some of the subtle differences (swing plane, forward tilt...etc.) between SW and me.

Let the arm come through what feels like more vertically like e.g. when you were posting the sledge swing a couple years ago:

You want that whole posture unit coming back together with gravity. When you land in the plant that will also make you get better ground reaction force and leverage.

I have never regretted any of the time I took to do moves slow before I made them faster.

I haven't watched all your Vids as some wouldn't load. I thought your reach back was a little late. I'm usually starting my reachback at the start of my x step, yours was near the end. It might be why you aren't shifting the weight as well as you could. My disc is moving backwards as my x step is moving forwards. That way when my bracing leg plants, my weight is ready to shift.
Might be worth a try....

Okay, more of a vertical swing/drop. After all these years, I think I am starting to understand this tilt. I am still not doing it the way SS is, but fundamentally, this real time slow mo is movig me in the right direction. Still looks and feels like I don't turn enough. Any thoughts/comments on my transition?

Yeah, note how my lead heel goes up from plantar flexion and knee bends in as it unweights in backswing. Looks like your front foot remains flat on ground and can't rotate further.

Last edited: