• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

4.5 stars on a new 9 hole easy course?

troyrugg

So the 2 new reviews on a new course in remsen ia are both 4 and 4.5 for a small 9 hole. Based on the reviews alone i know there is no way this deserves this high of a rating. How do we fix it or teach people reviews like this will drive people who go out of their way to play new quality places, absolutely crazy. Just curious im sure this happens often just not often on the stuff in this half of the state i guess. Thanks

Real players can sniff out what's real and what's not because they look at more than just the reviews. Usually, "Plays around baseball and football fields. Paver stones in ground mark tees" is a dead give away. Also, the players that rated it seem to have little experience reviewing courses and or playing other courses. As the dg traffic increases the rating will even itself out.

Yeah not much you can do about it. People overinflate local courses. It works the other way also. Somebody gave Deer Lakes here in the Pittsburgh area a 2.0 once. Just have to "sniff" out the bad reviews as previously mentioned.

The answer is, don't worry too much about individual reviews. Eventually the ratings will average out into a consensus.

In the meantime, I'd say the "9 holes" part will inform most travelers, even before they check out the details.

Does anyone have pictures of the course? Perkins Park in Green Bay is best 9 holder I have played with Seven Oaks outside of Columbia, SC being the next so I am wondering what makes this course so special.

Would seasoned reviewers deny a 4.5 to ANY 9 hole course? I would certainly give a perfect course that score, if the only thing lacking was a full 18.

Would seasoned reviewers deny a 4.5 to ANY 9 hole course? I would certainly give a perfect course that score, if the only thing lacking was a full 18.

It would have to be a helluva 9-hole course. I'm stingy with 4.5s on 18-holers; it would be tough for a 9-holer to equal one of them, if for no other reason than there aren't enough holes to give it as much variety.

I can conceive of one that would be a 4.0, perhaps even a 4.5, but it would have to be 9 incredible holes. I can think of at least one 18 hole course where, if they lost the front 9, the back 9 would stand up as a great course in its own right.

Why are you comparing a 9 hole course to an 18 hole course? Thats silly as hell.

9 hole courses can be 5 or 1 discs just like 18s...? Bashing a 9 hole course as lesser just bc of hole count/length makes no sense.

Yes, for the very fact that nine holes is a registration that you don't have room for 18. That's worth a full disc on its own. Couple this with the fact that in both disc golf and ball golf, nine holers are generally built with recreational play for the everyday joe in mind, not challenge.

Opposite thing happened to one of my home courses. Someone dropped a 1.5 rating on Kutter Park, course was about a year old at the time (only on its second year as of now). Not like it is a destination course, probably a solid 3 IMHO, but I've only played about 50 courses and haven't wrote a review yet.

I can handle the 1.5 star rating, but the blatant lies and calling out the local club (which is on its second year and has close to 50 members) is what I have a problem with. Not only that, but he signed up to dgcr just to drop that one review. I emailed the guy and got no response. Not to mention, after asking around, I don't even think the guy is a club member.

Yes, for the very fact that nine holes is a registration that you don't have room for 18. That's worth a full disc on its own. Couple this with the fact that in both disc golf and ball golf, nine holers are generally built with recreational play for the everyday joe in mind, not challenge.

True. I generally rate 9 holers out of 4 (rather than 5).

A course in Bloomington, IL (PJ Irvin) was recently changed from an 18 holer to a more challenging 9 holer and I felt it hurt the rating and fun factor of the course.

Why are you comparing a 9 hole course to an 18 hole course? Thats silly as hell.

9 hole courses can be 5 or 1 discs just like 18s...? Bashing a 9 hole course as lesser just bc of hole count/length makes no sense.

Uh.....because they're grouped together on this site?

That has nothing to do with my rating of a single course. Id compare the 9s to other great 9s.

Uhhhh....?

Its like trying to compare a condo unit to a single family home or small car to a truck.

They all serve different purposes but need to be reviewed within their designed use.

Interesting opinion. I would judge any course on many factors before the number of holes even came into the equation. By what you're saying, a 9 hole disc golf paradise could only get 4 stars maximum. I wonder if most reviewers share this view.

That has nothing to do with my rating of a single course. Id compare the 9s to other great 9s.

Uhhhh....?

Its like trying to compare a condo unit to a single family home or small car to a truck.

They all serve different purposes but need to be reviewed within their designed use.

I'll certainly bear that in mind when weighing your reviews.

Your opinion is not better than mine. Nor, of course, mine than yours. One value in this site is that course ratings are effected in proportion to the perspectives of the reviewers so that if, say, 10% of reviewers consider 9-hole courses the way you do, the course ratings will be hedged by that 10%. If 90% do, then the ratings will be hedged 10% by those of us who don't.

Interesting opinion. I would judge any course on many factors before the number of holes even came into the equation. By what you're saying, a 9 hole disc golf paradise could only get 4 stars maximum. I wonder if most reviewers share this view.

Probably. But think of it this way. Think of some courses you would rate 5-stars. If those courses lost 9 holes, keeping the best 9 holes that can still be reasonably routed, would you consider them diminished? Would you rate them lower?

My guess is that most reviewers would.

IMO, it is impossible for a 9 hole course to have the variety and great golf needed to pull a 5.0. Or even a 4.5.

I've played what's currently the #4 9 holer, and gave it a 3.5. For a 9 holer to even get a 4, it better have three concrete tees, and multiple permanent baskets. Hell, I've only give one 18 hole course a 5.0. People hand out 5's way too easily.

I'd like to preface this with saying that I haven't left any reviews yet, but I think it makes sense to have like 5 different categories to rate 1-5 in (like challenging, easy to navigate,ect) then average all the scores together for the final rating. It's just MHO, but I don't think that a 9 hole course should be penalized for only having 9. I think those 9 should be reviewed, and the viewer should be able to recognize that it only has 9 holes

Latest posts