• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

4th of July in Denver/Aurora

Audible Vibration

Birdie Member
I'm flying into Denver on July 3rd, and will have most of the day on the 4th to check out some courses in the area. I will have a limited bag with me, will have to Uber everywhere, and it looked like most of the nice pay to play courses had group minimums, so I didn't plan on trying to make it somewhere like Beaver Ranch.

What courses would you suggest out the non pay to play courses? My home course is wide open, so I'd like to play some courses with a lot of trees and shot shaping. Johnny Roberts in Arvada looks fun so I plan on playing that one, but what about some of the others in that area like Birds nest, Westminster dgc, Fehringer in Littleton, or the Camenish Park courses in Federal Heights?

Also, I may have time to squeeze in a course in Aurora before we check out of our hotel. Does anyone have an opinion or preference between Expo Park, Centre Hills and the Dry Doc courses?

If anyone in the area wants to meet up to play, or is heading out to Beaver Ranch or Bailey and has room for one more, hit me up! I can throw in on gas and whatever else.

Denver itself kinda sucks for quality courses. If you're looking for a more wooded challenge your best bet is probably Camenish. Decent course. Everything else is pretty wide open, except for Johnny, which is now a pitch and putt, but fun none the less. Fehringer is good, but still pretty wide open, as is Expo. Bird's Nest is open, and usually windy. I haven't played it yet, but I've heard good things about Adam's Hollow up north in Brighton.
Hope you can make it up to some of the mountain courses, that is really where it's at. Maybe try Ghost Town? It's a little closer to Denver.

I would definitely try to hit up the mountain courses if you can. Make a post on Mile High Disc Golf Club's facebook page and I'm sure that you could hitch a ride.

If you are in Aurora stay away from Centre Hills, they planted native grasses out there and are not mowing this year so that the roots can take. It is terribly overgrown. Expo has some fun shots but is fairly wide open; lots of water but easy enough to avoid as long as the wind isn't howling. It has fairly nice tees and baskets and you can play a round in 1-1.5 hours. Dry Dock is cool if you are grabbing a beer in the tasting room, it is a quick round with all short holes. Of the Aurora courses, I'd say hit up Expo.

Have fun out here (I'm visiting family in California for the 4th or else I would offer to play a round with you while visiting)

Hope you can make it up to some of the mountain courses, that is really where it's at. Maybe try Ghost Town? It's a little closer to Denver.

Thanks for the info. I'm going to take another look at the mountain courses and see if I can make it happen. Beaver Ranch does have tee times or group minimums, right? With as many city courses as I originally planned on going to, it may be cheaper to just rent a car and drive out to Conifer. If not, I'll take another look at Ghost Town.

Also, I saw in the Beaver Ranch photos the sign warning of bears and mountain lions. What are the chances of encounters like that? Sounds like it could be a vacation ruiner. :D

Thanks for all of the info. I got to work today and remembered I can get good discounts on car rentals, and reserved one for the 4th. Beaver Ranch, here I come!

I'll still need to do some planning if I'm playing that course. My wife and I are flying in without carry ons or checked bags, 1 personal item only, each. So I won't have my trail shoes or full bag. Right now my plan is to stuff all my clothes into her backpack, and load up my laptop case with my UPD draw and as many discs as I can fit. I've never flown before but the airline says the personal item must be under 8" x 18" x 14", so I'm going to explore my options and see if I can find a little bigger backpack that can handle the course better.

I don't know who you're flying with, but I've found most airlines to be pretty lenient on the size of the "personal item". I just flew out to Denver in late May with Frontier Airlines and they didn't bat an eye at my 30L hiking backpack as my personal item. If it can be jammed under the seat in front of you, you're probably ok.

I played Bailey and Beaver a few years back on a previous trip to Denver and the surrounding area. You made the right choice by getting a rental car so you can play those two courses.

I don't know who you're flying with, but I've found most airlines to be pretty lenient on the size of the "personal item". I just flew out to Denver in late May with Frontier Airlines and they didn't bat an eye at my 30L hiking backpack as my personal item. If it can be jammed under the seat in front of you, you're probably ok.

I played Bailey and Beaver a few years back on a previous trip to Denver and the surrounding area. You made the right choice by getting a rental car so you can play those two courses.

Good to hear! Frontier is who I'm flying with too. I'm still a little worried about trying to use my sniper bag as the personal item since it is boxy and the reinforced sides can't be removed. But, there are a few guys in my league that have smaller bags like hero packs, mvp nucleus bags and small grips, so maybe I can trade with them for a week. If not, knowing I can bring a good sized back pack will help, even if it's kinda awkward fumbling around for discs.

Now that I have a ride, I'll be looking for someone to play with. If any locals or out of towners a free that day and need a ride, send me a message.

Latest posts