• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

5 gallon bucket tone poles

duckychucky

Par Member
I know I've seen this thread but cant find it. Can one of the search nazis prerube me please?

Or give me tips on making tone poles with 5 gallon buckets. Pics appreciated.

I'm starting on a short and wooded 18 hole rec level course on 30 acres of my uncle's hunting land. I'm designing the course mostly for my young children and their cousins as well as my non-discing adult relatives(and too be a challenging putter course for me) . If I get everyone hooked we could clear wider and longer fairways and get real baskets in the future.

For now I have 18-5 gallon buckets, a chainsaw and a post digger. I plan on cutting 6 foot long, 4-6 inch wide logs from the forest, burying them 2 feet deep and nailing the bucket to the top. Perhaps painting the hole # on the bucket facing the natural tee.

Without adding any significant cost does anyone have any suggestions? I know other style tone poles give a better sound but I'm going with what I got right now.

So this is just a thought (and a rather ghetto one at that) but could you get a bunch of silverware from your local thrift store to hang on the inside of the bucket? It could add a nice chime sound for cheap. Just a thought.

So this is just a thought (and a rather ghetto one at that) but could you get a bunch of silverware from your local thrift store to hang on the inside of the bucket? It could add a nice chime sound for cheap. Just a thought.

This is the kind of redneck engineering I'm looking for!
I was actually thinking of getting cheap xmas sleigh bells to do something similar, but I like the fork idea.

Maybe get a bunch of 18" to 2' lengths of hockey stick to hang down from the bucket. It would look like a wind chime, I'm not sure if it would make a cool sound or not. A local hockey rink could probably give you all the broken sticks you want.

Not sure how much it costs but if you hang something along the lines of exhaust piping that'd certainly make some noise. Grab a sawsall and hit the pick n pulls!

Scrap plumbing.
Hang 4 of slightly different lengths from a 12" square board.
Maybe hang a small rock in the middle.
Paint the pipes a bright color.

Latest posts