• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

"51" rules

T.Hizzle

Eagle Member
After reading the following post, I am a little confused.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50019

Atl Scott was wondering if Chain Addicted owes him $5 for an ace. I was told that once you accept money for "51," your in for life. But from the looks of this posting other people from other parts of the country play "51" as optional? Is this true? If someone doesn't call "51" at the start of the round and they ace you don't have to pay?

We always play it with all our guys. When new guys come around we always ask if they want in but it is a given once they are in with us. Never really had a problem with guys bailing out, but I always remember when I hit one if someone doesnt pay, what goes around comes around

I'm not sure I've ever played with anyone around here who really takes 51 seriously. It seems to me like something like that is best done between friends or at a league where everyone is clear on the expectation.

Certain friends and I are always in on it but we play 5-2-1 with chains being two and other metal only 1. If you haven't stated that youre participating than you don't collect or pay, with the exception of tournament play, where you don't hold someone to the money but people usually contribute anyway.

I actually don't know anyone personally that plays it. You're not getting my dinero unless I agree to it at the beginning of the round. :|

Probably get a brewski if I have any handy though. ;)

I consider it always in play with friends (since we pretty much always play it). Otherwise I usually ask before the round. I made $1 today by hitting the basket (did mention it before the round).

I really enjoy playing for something (usually $5/round) but sometimes no one wants to for overall score and 51 adds to the enjoyment of the round.

I'm still trying to institute the addition of a 6 to play 651 where the 6 stands for "if you get 6 birdies in a row the rest of the group has to pool together and buy you a 6-pack of whatever you want after the round."

I dont give my money away on an ACE, but I will buy a mu-fugga lunch though. Nobody ever paid me for my ACES. Just sayin'....

Jeez, it's only five bucks. It's part of the spirit of the game.

Wow... No-one ever told me it was the "spirit of the game". Now I am going to go back to all those folks that witnessed my aces and tell them they gotta pay up because its what keeps disc golf alive.:thmbup:

I always thought that the guy who gets the ace should pay everyone else, because they are the witnesses.

jk

I dont know about all that... I usually just ask for a round of Hi-5's:

internet-high-five.jpg

Jeez, it's only five bucks. It's part of the spirit of the game.

Thank you.
In CO no one has ever said before a round "ok lets clarify if we are playing 51" gimme a break. I gladly hand someone a 5 spot if they ace a hole on my card and have been known to hand out a 5er to other cards if I see it happen. It's not like kicking down a doan for a metal hit is gonna break me, plus hopefully it gets reciprocated down the line which it always has. It is almost more of a given that if someone aces you owe them a 5er, and sign the disc.

Thank you.
In CO no one has ever said before a round "ok lets clarify if we are playing 51" gimme a break. I gladly hand someone a 5 spot if they ace a hole on my card and have been known to hand out a 5er to other cards if I see it happen. It's not like kicking down a doan for a metal hit is gonna break me, plus hopefully it gets reciprocated down the line which it always has. It is almost more of a given that if someone aces you owe them a 5er, and sign the disc.

Exactly, and if someone really feels strongly against participating when the ace occurs, it's not a big deal. Not worth getting your knickers bunched up.

It does not seem to be a big thing here but I am always in if I am aware of it when I travel. I like to play for a few bucks and this just adds to the gamble. I have seen aces/metal hits and paid out. I have also seen aces/metal hits and didn't pay since the thrower didn't play "51." A few bucks ain't gonna break me so I am happy to pay or buy the beverages after the rounds. I do however have a standing agreement for a "101" with a buddy. We upped the ace money to $10 just to make the thrower smile more and the payer feel more sting. It is always good to take the $ from a close buddy. Just more fun. Do what you guys have to do to keep it fun, that is the point.

Wow... No-one ever told me it was the "spirit of the game". Now I am going to go back to all those folks that witnessed my aces and tell them they gotta pay up because its what keeps disc golf alive.:thmbup:

This.

I used to take it seriously with some friends that stopped playing a couple months back, but my local course is just too easy to take it seriously. It's pretty much a given that somebody is going to hit metal during a round.

Black Aces here, If you ace the wrong basket, you buy lunch for the entire group.
I will pay anything I owe, as long as I knew it before hand.