• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

54 cents a day

As I approach the end of my first year playing disc golf, I thought I would run the numbers and see what my ROI looks like.

One basket, one bag, and 20 discs later, I have spent ~ $395. By conservative estimate, I have enjoyed at least 750 hours of fun for that investment, which works out to about 54 cents a day. I love this sport. :thmbup:

Congrats on not falling into the trap of buying and trying 5 new discs a week, in the search for the magic disc that will make you a star. That may be in your future, of course, but it's not a great place to start out. Lots do, though.

Also, on finding an average of 2 hours a day to play. As addictions go, that's a pretty good one to have.

Best of luck in keeping it at a couple of quarters per hour. There are other addictions out there, besides spending thousands on discs and hundreds more on furniture to tote them around. Travel, for one; and this website will fuel that temptation. Then tournaments, for which costs are skyrocketing around here; the almost-every-weekend tournament circuit can really add up. And heaven help you if you ever decide you want your own course....

As I approach the end of my first year playing disc golf, I thought I would run the numbers and see what my ROI looks like.

One basket, one bag, and 20 discs later, I have spent ~ $395. By conservative estimate, I have enjoyed at least 750 hours of fun for that investment, which works out to about 54 cents a day. I love this sport. :thmbup:

Please don't talk to my wife. If she finds out it can be done this cheaply I'm in big trouble.

Please don't talk to my wife. If she finds out it can be done this cheaply I'm in big trouble.
I have also spent quite a sum on this hobby. My wife knows... I don't spend any money on disc golf when we need it elsewhere or I want a new lens for my camera.

I have also spent quite a sum on this hobby. My wife knows... I don't spend any money on disc golf when we need it elsewhere or I want a new lens for my camera.

Wait, I could have written that too. My wife likes to travel and is way more tolerant of lenses.

First thing I thought of. "For just 70 cents a day...."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePENcrE_xcQ

Hah!! I thought I was gonna see a pic of some starving child in Africa holding a groove, and some text: "For just 54 cents a day you can help this child avoid the pain and suffering caused by grooves. Your 54 cents will help him get the teebird and aviar he needs."

I like this thread. I have bought a basket, couple pair of shoes, a couple of bags, and God only knows how many discs, but when I break it down like you have and figure cost per hour of enjoyment, it's not so bad.:D

...Also, on finding an average of 2 hours a day to play. As addictions go, that's a pretty good one to have.

I have 3 acres of lightly wooded land and work from home for myself. Local course is 5-10 minutes away. 2 hrs/day is pretty easy to manage.

Best of luck in keeping it at a couple of quarters per hour. There are other addictions out there, besides spending thousands on discs and hundreds more on furniture to tote them around. Travel, for one; and this website will fuel that temptation. Then tournaments, for which costs are skyrocketing around here; the almost-every-weekend tournament circuit can really add up. And heaven help you if you ever decide you want your own course....

Don't travel or play touraments. Maybe later...

Mine is at 2-3 dollars per hour as the course is far away so I can't okay too much. But the course is free so if I think of it as a $2 course it seems fine. It's much less expensive than a lot of other hobbies I've tried

Realistically, I spend about $2-3 bucks a week on gas hitting local courses. I usually play 3 times a week, sometimes four.

Spent well over 20k building and maintaining a course, play once a month. Costly rounds.

Like the fisherman who buys a boat, and all the gear and gas, and realizes the fish he's eating for dinner is costing him about $60 a pound.

Let's face it... a great deal of the cost of this game is that which we impose upon ourselves.. whatever the reason.
We don't have to purchase so many discs, play in tournaments, or leagues, drive so far, take road trips, drink quite so much beer when we play... or whatever it is any of us does to drive the cost up.

I could also eat PB&J, an apple and some chips every day for lunch for under $3/day.

Even if you get pretty into it, DG's still cheaper than a lot of other activities.

Almost all of my disc golf expenses are car related. I figure it costs me 20 cent a mile to operate my car. Since moving to Alabama in October 2017 I've driven about 7500 miles bagging courses. (Austin TX, Mobile AL x3, Bristol VA, Atlanta GA, Tupelo MS, Nashville TN x2, Chattanooga TN x2, Birmingham AL x2 plus a bunch of small trips.)

7500 miles x 0.2 is $1500

However, a few of these trips were for work purposes, Atlanta and Mobile, and I have received $1000 back on those trips as I get 55 cents a mile.

So now this equates to $500 to bag 98 new courses. or $5.10 per course for driving expenses.

The cost is going up unfortunately. My recent trip to Bristol came out to $42 a course in driving expenses.

I used to do that with new discs. First throw, $14 bucks a throw, second, $7, etc.

Putters would get down to pennies a throw pretty quickly, especially when you putt like me.