• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

7 Mold/25 Disc Limit

If I carry ten and someone on my card carries 30, I have an advantage in lighter weight, more energy to throw etc. they have the advantage if only I loose a disc or came without something I need. So let them carry how ever much they want to.

No caddies!!! Would add more strategy to the energy needed to get through a round and could help to limit the number of discs used.

However, EXTREMELY unlikely.

Unlikely that if a tournament offers an open division I would play in another division going forward. Unlikely I will accept cash, pay pro membership fee, or stop traveling to Am only events.

Unlikely that if a tournament offers an open division I would play in another division going forward. Unlikely I will accept cash, pay pro membership fee, or stop traveling to Am only events.

Nothing wrong with that. You should never force anyone to play professionally.

i think more to what i am comparing it to is that in tournaments golfers only have a certain number of balls they can use per round

and i completely understand how it could be tough on lower levels

PGA allows players to use as many balls as they want. They just have to be the same model and compression.

stoopid question but could you throw eagles and throw both molds?

magic
zone
comet
buzzz
firebird
RR
destroyers

Mold limit is an awesome idea, If you can't cover every shot with 7 molds, you are doing it wrong.

So, would that mean that each version of the Roc would be considered a different mold? Maybe this is a question for the OP, since this is his hypothetical...

But a flat top DX, and a domey Champ Roc are only the same mold in terms of semantics.

Not a stupid question...one that is difficult to answer or check. You can have an eagle x so worn it looks like a new "L" Manufacturers change/repair molds all the time to make the same disc name (especially Innova) Pop top destroyer, destrulcan, Avery, pre avery, etc. They may be tecnically different "molds" but how can you really tell. So i dont see that ever happening though it is interesting to see peoples lists.

As far as should this be a rule or not...

Isn't slow play already a callable offense? Seems like another rule to try to control an undercalled rule might be overkill. Anyone?

Plus it misses the guy with 5 discs who dissects every shot like biology class.

If it's about creating greater seperation among advanced + players, then the conversation is over my helmet.

Nothing wrong with that. You should never force anyone to play professionally.

Agreed.

I agree with many, that if this really were a limit going forward, it should be total discs. It could EASILY be only for professional divisions, where it wouldn't affect them nearly as much. Most seem to carry no more than 20-25 discs, aside from a few notable exceptions. Heck they could even say "20 disc max", but then specific courses, with higher than average disc losing rate, could be higher per the TD. So if your local course is hell on losing discs, you could up it to 25 for that tourney.

It would provide for more skill with the discs, instead of just 1 disc for every possible type of shot. Keep AM levels open (at least below ADV), and pro level with restrictions would be cool. It would make the best stick out, and the lesser players get better over time.

Anode - 2 (1 putting, 1 driving/approach)
Zone - 1 (overstable utlity)
Fuse - 1
Axis - 2
Vector - 2
Volt - 4 (whole weight ranges)
PD - 4 (S and C lines)

7 molds / 16 discs

This may have been said before, but:

Actually, I agree with the Disc Limitation, but the mold limitation would prove unenforceable.

Did you know that the Banshee and the EXP1 are identical?
False, but some people say yes and some say not.

Did you know that the TL is just a TeeBird with a Leopard bottom?
False, i know, but a lot of people are willing to argue that point.

The Monarch/Valk, where does that fit in, Monarch or Valk?

Destrulcan; Vulcan or Destroyer or Archon?

What about the QJLS 1.8?
Is it a Polaris or QJLS?

Mis-stamped discs? How can you PROVE that it is, or is not the disc of the stamp?

How many versions of the Gator are out there?

Old Eagle (pre-Aviar) or new Eagle?

I went to my PIAS and they had three different Cheetah molds and three different Banshee molds sitting on the shelf together.

My point is that there is a lot of misinformation, mis-naming, variability, mis-stamps, mis-molding and mold-mixing by all companies.

Limiting molds is just un-enforcable unless a LOT of silly rules are written in to document the variations and alowable variations.
Like I said, just un-enforceable.

wizard - 2
xd - 2
gazelle - 2 (new & beat)
flow - 2 (light & heavy)
roadrunner - 2 (light & heavy)
predator - 2 (new & beat)
roc - 13 (various plastics & wear)

what if number of molds and number of total discs are limited, but you can carry additional molds and additional discs with stroke penalties that you would start the round with

say 1 stroke for each mold beyond the mold limit and 1 stroke for each disc beyond the disc limit?

it would make people reconsider bringing too many different molds while not disallowing them to carry additional ones if they so desire.

I say if the person is willing to carry 100 discs, let them carry 100 discs. I don't see any benefit from it other than carrying 20-30 of discs you'll actually use and 70 discs you can brag about having.

This may have been said before, but:

Actually, I agree with the Disc Limitation, but the mold limitation would prove unenforceable.

I kind of disagree, but at the same time I know that it would take some changes by every manufacturer to make it truly work.

Simple solution is - each mold has the disc type in the tooling, similar to what I've seen on newer discraft discs.

Less simple solution - bag checks, and just go by what can be found on the disc. Sort of like in magic: the gathering tournaments on a smaller level, TDs do deck checks but may not always know what's been reprinted from older sets, so they err in favor of the player (or look it up if there is enough time).

Yes, I did just make a MTG reference. :\

If I were to participate in a tournament like this, I'd throw:
6 PDs in various plastics and stages of wear
2 FDs, one C and one S
1 Predator

3 Comets in various plastics
2 Pain in various plastics
1 gator in champ
4 judges in various stages of wear (and various plastic when it comes out)

I wouldn't really see myself pushing a 25 disc limit at all, but 7 molds would work out just about right for me and my game.

Last edited:
PD - CFR, star, Pro, trashed Pro - 4
TD - S and C (x2) - 2
FD - S and C (x2) - 2
Gator - Champ - 1
Roc - Champ, KC, dx - 3
Comet - 1
Pure - Opto, EZE - 2

This really depends on the courses i play also, could drop the FDs for Pro leo/champ leo for shorter more wooded courses.

Also could drop the comet if i get a roc into that beat to heck spot, then i could toss in a destroyer or force or katana if it was a longer course