• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

75' - 100' range

Probably spush putt with a Birdie or Wombat if its longer than 85'.

I like to throw an understable putter like a Summit and try to "land it on the table"... the "table" being the basket under the chains. A finesse shot, since I grew up throwing Frisbees. I've made quite a few and I always have short putt when I miss.

This is also that awkward range for me. If its cloer to 60 or 70 ft and i dont have a ceiling restriction i will go for a step putt (jump putts dont work for me). Over 100 ft i will usually do a powered down approach. For that tweener range or anything with a ceiling restriction i have found that a fh flick works best for me. Its easier for me to gauge my power and distance and accuracy with a fh than a bh at that distance. I love my envy for this shot.

I'm playing in an ace race league at the moment, and there are a lot of these types of shots. I've been either using an evo wizard or buzz backhand or a wasp for a forehand shot. Both have worked out pretty well, but can end up well past the basket. Typically I use a step/jump put, but I think I'll keep developing my approach shots since the jump putt will at best lay me up without any real chance of sinking the shot

I was forehand dominate for 3 years so I would 90% of the time fan grip an approach or overstable putter and sidearm it to the basket. IT's really hard to mess up when you dial in your flick.

Throw a Discmania P2 high and to the right a bit, approach style. The disc will stall and fade crash to the left...hopefully giving a good look at the basket, but if it misses it usually does a little circle roll on the ground and settles within a few feet of the basket.

Or spin putt (just a hint of step on my follow-thru) my McPro Aviar on a smooth anny, and let it flex back to flat as it reaches the basket. Landing flat is key on this one...any miss will stick near the basket on the ground.

Last edited:
experiment.

some of the super putters of the world use a put like throw.

I look at this distance and visualize a "frisbee pass" to someone.

Sidearm with an overstable putter like a Pig or BT hard Harp. It's really hard to mess that kind of shot up once you get your sidearm dialed in.

***edit Lol just realized this was an old thread

At a nothing pin and approach I go speedy frisbee bro. Most fun.

...rhbh flip to flat with a tradional beveled edge putter. mellow smooth steam on it and relaxed follow through. Holds at the edge of turn locked in in a plane to target. It hits chains at bikini top height or skids twenty something feet long for a come backer.

Depending on elevation I'll flick a Judge or backhand a Yeti. If it's flat I'll grab a Yeti, fan grip and rip. I've had pretty success grabbing chains with the Yeti, the flick with the Judge is more of a placement shot.

On the rare occasion I decide to go for the jump putt I'll grab a super soft judge, nose up and throw with all my might. I've banged more shots by backhanding a yeti so I typically don't jump putt.

I usually just toss a fresh Wizard RHBH and let it fade in toward the basket. Nice and easy.

100 feet for me is a fan grip upshot with a Harp, inside that I will jump putt, trying to keep the disc flat so no rollaway, not really trying to make it but hoping. Around 60-70 feet is when I really try to run everything unless the penalty for missing is really severe.

I am changing my answer. I got a Comet a few weeks ago and now all shots from this range are soft, floaty, throws with it instead of jump putts with the Harp.

Jump putt lay-up is my most likely shot from this range. Might do a stand still flick with an Envy if its windy.

I usually thumber with a champ aviar. If I think i have a chance of making it, I put it high in so it might hit chains or land close by. Or I'll put more power but thow lower, so it lands short and slides next to the basket. Still a newb at dg, and I know this may be the unconventional shot, but it works for me. Coming from ulty background, and am known to bust one out there too.

Harp all day. If i throw it right, i can get it to spike right next to the basket. If I have to maneuver it I can. It also fights wind. Great disc!

Same for me. I'm not trying to make these shots. I'm trying for an easy up and down.

I believe 80-180 feet is the distance John Houck defined as "2.0 throws for an average pro." That means they're mostly laying up for the easy putt, too. It's in one of his "boring" zones, the other being about 0-20' from the basket (1.0 throws).

Same for me. I'm not trying to make these shots. I'm trying for an easy up and down.

Second this. Taking a Harp and just getting in my gimme range has drastically lowered my scores. Just because I might make it doesn't mean I should try. If you're 80-100' out then you didn't execute well enough for a birdie.

Latest posts