• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Other] 90's style!

Ted Bratton

Double Eagle Member
McBeth and his friends made their minimalist bag of older, slower DX discs look like so much fun that I bought my own! Have any of you tried something similar yet? I have an affinity for older discs, slower discs, and base plastic so it was only a matter of time.

After reading this: http://discgolfwarehouse.com/Disc%20Evolution/evolution_of_disc_golf_discs.htm once again and looking at the 90's style discussion on DGR forums: https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=26551 I ended up buying a classic aviar, stingray, roc, and viper in max weight DX. According to DGR in the early to mid 90's these four were about the most common discs around along with the cobra and XD, is this accurate? I heard Crazy John Brooks used to carry a three disc bag of the aviar, roc, and viper.

I can't wait to walk around with 4 oldschool DX discs with no bag and see how low I can shoot! With these discs in hand it also occurs to me that this 4 disc set up would be an amazing $30 starter set for any new player.

yes I do this all the time as I bag a lot of oldschool molds sharks,hammers,cobras,moray,gazelle,vipers,scorpions u name it oh and I only putt with piranhas =)

I occasionally throw the DX Roc, Stingray, and Cobra. Fun discs, had a chainout with the Stingray, closest to an ace ever for me.

Last edited:
I have an all DX bag (04 and earlier) that I threw for 6 months straight. Now I break it out about once or twice a month for ol' time's sake.

It's good to know the history of our sport through first-hand experience.

I love the old stuff its funny when me and my brother play dubs at our league cuz we usually always cash in top 3 and people almost seem pissed cuz we are beating them with 20 year old plastic lol

in 96 I got a cheetah, shark, cobra, viper, avair set and played with it casual until 2003 when I started get more serious about the sport.

I bought the Gazelle last fall after watching that video and love the disc. Now I'm bummed that better plastic is only available through the pro shop. No problem though, I'll stick with the DX.

Also bought a Cobra for giggles, but going to have to wait for warmer weather to give it a good test run.

I used to be such an anti DX snob for awhile, thought I out grew them (neewbie mentality) but some discs are just perfect in DX. I use a DX Roc and a Teebird regularly now.

Is a DX Viper as stable as the numbers say? That disc is rated a 5 fade! I have sold a few but I have never thrown one.

That is more than a Firebird....:eek:

Meh just depends on which plastic your throwing. I use my old DX vipers as teebirds. But throw an old champ and yes they are absolutely that overstable and have basically no glide.

I still have a Comet, XL and Magnet in my bag, never been out of the bag. They are from the 90's. They did not only make discs in DX plastic then.

Played a 90's style round last year. Really enjoyed throwing a Cobra. Should totally do it again this season.

Anytime I play with my dad it's 90's style. Now, granted he has a bum hip and can't generate the power he used to, and also this is a cheap plug, but this is still a fun little video we made a few months back showing the crazy amount of old school discs he throws...I think the newest disc he uses is a Super Hero:

:thmbup:

Last summer I built myself a "20 years ago"-bag, so it was limited to 1994 approved discs and earlier. Ended up with:
DX Classic Aviar
DX Stingray
DX Shark
DX Gazelle
DX Viper

Much fun has been had playing with that bag :)

(I originally thought about Roc instead of Shark, but since Rancho Rocs came in 97, that wasn't an option, and I couldn't easily get DX San Marino Rocs. The Shark is a great disc though, so it worked out great anyway.)

I could easily have a good round playing with just an old xd, sanny roc, and XL

I know the viper is THE 90's disc but I may leave that advanced 90's overstable technology behind for a three disc "80's" (?) setup of classic aviar (84'), stingray (87'), and roc. The rancho roc is somewhat newer tech but according to Dave Dunipace the San Marino variant was introduced in 88' and the Sanny is just too close to the Rancho for me to feel anal about it. Another cool limitation might be Aero, Classic Roc, Stingray. Another might be Magnet, Hawk, Cyclone all released in 93'. Or go Ron Russell world champion style with Magnet, Comet (95'), Cyclone. And maybe I should play some rounds with just one aero or classic aviar lol.

Latest posts