• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

93EXCivic's 2017 bag(s)

93EXCivic

Double Eagle Member
My main bag.

Putters:
172g F2 DX Polecat- main putter
150g DX Polecat- touch overhands, straddle putts, short backhand rollers
172g GStar Polecat- main approach disc
175g Fossil Scale- hyzer putts, headwind putts, etc.
170g Pro D Zone- overstable driving/ approach putter. Beat in a decent amount but still plenty of fade. This is more of a mid then a putter to me.
174g CryZtal Flx Metal Flake Zone- more overstable Zone

Mids:
176g Caribou- straight to understable mid.

Fairways:
175g CS Champ Gazelle- overstable forehand workhorse fairway
171g Glow Champ Gazelle- overstable workhorse backhand driver
171g DX Gazelle- beat in a bit. Understable fairway

Control Drivers:
170g SOLF 1.4- fresh fairly overstable control driver
170g SOLF 1.1- beat to straight backhand and hyzer flip FH

Utility:
175 g Armorflex Raptor- overstable headwind disc/ spike hyzer disc
175g Stego- 90% for forehand rollers. Occasionally for when I need all the fade.
171g DX Gazelle- very beat in. Backhand rollers. Sky high turnovers.

So some changes from my end of 2016 bag. Dropped the Viper. I love the Viper but I can cover the Viper shots by either backing off a little with the Raptor or putting hyzer on the CS Gazelle. One less mold and one less disc. Dropped the Woodchuck. The Polecat sticks so well. The only times I have had roll aways is when I have hit the basket and it hasn't stuck so it has become somewhat pointless. Dropped down to two OLFs. Add the Scale back. I have been trying to run Zones only with my Polecats but to be honest, I don't like using the Zone for certain situations (mostly touch shots or headwind putts). So the Scale is back.

I am 99% sure that my drivers are set. I love the OLF, Gazelle and Raptor. I know the Polecat and Stego aren't going anywhere. Only changes to these may be different plastic versions.
Things that might change are the Zone, Scale and Caribou. I'd like to find a disc that works for me and I can use for both the Scale and the Zone. I am going to try out the Pig and the Tank. But willing to listen to any non-Trilogy and non-Prodigy suggestions. But if nothing works out I am fine with continuing to use the Scale and Zone.
I am also going to try out some slightly overstable mid options, the Daredevil Moose, Buzzz and Q Aurora MS. I am not sure this is going to be something that stays in the bag or not due to having a fast putter (Zone) and a slow fairway. If I do end up with this though, I imagine I will end up cycling this disc and replacing the Caribou with a beat version. I really like the Caribou but I also like miminizing molds so it would be out.

So my bag, 15 discs, 8 molds (2 Innova, 2 Daredevil, 2 RDG, 1 Millennium and 1 Discraft).

You tried a vp yet?

They're a little wonky for forehand, but they're basically in between a zone and a scale in terms of stability imo.

Other two bags

Form bag in Double NutSac. Going to be using this a lot for casual rounds.
170g DX Polecat- main putter
180g Star Aero- main approach disc
Z Buzzz or Moose- FH mid
166g Caribou- BH mid
170g DX Leopard- understable fairway
170g DX Gazelle- overstable fairway
150g MOLF- max distance FH and BH

Lives in the car bag in MVP starter bag
171g DX Polecat- main putter/ approach disc
174g Soft X Zone- overstable approach disc
175g Tiger Line Wings- straight approach disc
170g X Comet- main mid
175g DX Viper- fairly fresh overstable fairway
175g DX Viper- beat to crap straight to understable fairway
175g Ogopogo- utility
Z Heat- Control driver

You tried a vp yet?

They're a little wonky for forehand, but they're basically in between a zone and a scale in terms of stability imo.

I tried a soft VP. Maybe a firm would be worth a try.

I like the distance I get from a Zone and that it just gets longer as it beats in. But I don't like how shallow it is when I need to do a touch shot. I am probably asking for an impossible disc cause it needs short mid distance (which would tend to point towards something shallower) but deeper.

I like the distance I get from a Zone and that it just gets longer as it beats in. But I don't like how shallow it is when I need to do a touch shot. I am probably asking for an impossible disc cause it needs short mid distance (which would tend to point towards something shallower) but deeper.

Maybe revisit the scale for zone duties? I like your idea of trying out a Pig. They are my disc of choice for that type of shot (OS putter/mid tweener). They are surprisingly good for touch shots and windy putting

Maybe revisit the scale for zone duties? I like your idea of trying out a Pig. They are my disc of choice for that type of shot (OS putter/mid tweener). They are surprisingly good for touch shots and windy putting

The Scale is quite a bit shorter then a Zone though for me at least.

How does a Pig beat in? Does it just lose it's fade and get straighter? Or does it add turn and get longer while still having decent fade (like a Zone)?

The Scale is quite a bit shorter then a Zone though for me at least.

How does a Pig beat in? Does it just lose it's fade and get straighter? Or does it add turn and get longer while still having decent fade (like a Zone)?

Gotcha... never thrown the scale, I like the Pigs too much to have even tried. I have tried all the plastics Pigs come in so far and beat in the Blizzard and R-Pro ( still working on the factory store pro). R-pro beat in to perfection, adding a slight turn and a more subdued fade. It got much longer flight after beating in and still is holding up well despite many hard tree hits. The bllizzard holds its fade longer and develops less turn than the R-pro. My oldest pig is a pink blizzard that's pretty much arrow straight with mild fade at the end thrown FH (think teebird of putter). My Factory Pro is puddle topped so it's held onto the stability forever
My BH game is much weaker than my FH so I don't get any turn out of even my beat up R-pro...but they all make great BH hyzer approach discs from 100 and in you can really run the basket with confidence

Why no Rocs? They're a little touchy on FHs. Maybe a Wasp?

Forehands. I couldn't get comfortable with the FH grip on a Roc. I am not crazy about forehands with beaded mids. I have never tried a Wasp. What is that comparable to?

I am not really sure I need a disc to fit in between my Zone and Gazelle since they are a fast putter and a slow fairway but I am giving a couple a try.

The Wasp is Discraft's version of the Roc. It's faster and more stable (less glide), flat, and much easier to flick than Rocs. It is beaded though so I guess it's out anyway. It's my favorite mid to flick even though I don't bag them anymore (Rocs are so much better BH for me since they're slow with more glide). I flicked Zones in a mid role for a long time, but I've started favoring BHs instead. They are damn solid in that role.

Last edited:
The Wasp is Discraft's version of the Roc. It's faster and more stable (less glide), flat, and much easier to flick than Rocs. It is beaded though so I guess it's out anyway. It's my favorite mid to flick even though I don't bag them anymore (Rocs are so much better BH for me since they're slow with more glide). I flicked Zones in a mid role for a long time, but I've started favoring BHs instead. They are damn solid in that role.

Is it fairly similar to a Sentinel then? I tried out that mold but while it doesn't completely overlap with Champ Gazelles it comes too close for me in terms of lines and distance. Just a little shorter but I feel pretty comfortable backing off the Gazelles a touch if needed.

I try not to favor backhand or forehand unless it is purely distance then I tend to lean on my backhand which is just a touch longer. So I like discs I can comfortable use for both shots. The only disc I basically never use backhand is my freshest OLF. The only disc I don't use forehand is my understable Gazelle (not my beat to crap one though). My hyzerflip isn't quite good enough with that one yet.

I honestly have never thrown a Sent despite having a fresh Sanny on my desk at home. I don't think it's that fast since it's Buzzz speed (Discraft shaved off the bead of the Wasp to make the Buzzz). It's also solid for both FH and BH. I just threw them when I was FH only.

I honestly have never thrown a Sent despite having a fresh Sanny on my desk at home. I don't think it's that fast since it's Buzzz speed (Discraft shaved off the bead of the Wasp to make the Buzzz). It's also solid for both FH and BH. I just threw them when I was FH only.

Honestly what I think I want is something that has little to no turn and very little fade. I am trying out the Moose right now and it does a very good job of holding a hyzer or anny line. It isn't a straight shooter when thrown flat. I'd say it is -1, 2. The Caribou is like a X Comet (-2,1). I want to try out the Aurora MS since I quite like Millennium and I was thinking of trying the Mako as well. I may also try sticking the Wings back in. I have had and on again off again relationship with that disc.

The mids are one section of my bag I think I am still struggling with getting discs I love for. I mean I may change the Zone and Scale but if I don't I will still be happy with those discs.

Last edited:
I'm thinking of picking up a Raptor. Can you compare/contrast it to a G-Star Firebird?

TBH I have only thrown a Champ and DX Firebird. It is a little less overstable then those but for me more workable. Personally I found them to have about the same distance.

Honestly what I think I want is something that has little to no turn and very little fade. I am trying out the Moose right now and it does a very good job of holding a hyzer or anny line. It isn't a straight shooter when thrown flat. I'd say it is -1, 2. The Caribou is like a X Comet (-2,1). I want to try out the Aurora MS since I quite like Millennium and I was thinking of trying the Mako as well. I may also try sticking the Wings back in. I have had and on again off again relationship with that disc.

The mids are one section of my bag I think I am still struggling with getting discs I love for. I mean I may change the Zone and Scale but if I don't I will still be happy with those discs.

Since you're in the fast putter/slow fairway camp, have you thrown an Axiom Envy? It's a faster putter that has a ton of HSS with very little fade. I personally bag a Neutron Proxy because it's an Envy out of your hand, but it doesn't fade. They both have midrange distance potential too.

Since you're in the fast putter/slow fairway camp, have you thrown an Axiom Envy? It's a faster putter that has a ton of HSS with very little fade. I personally bag a Neutron Proxy because it's an Envy out of your hand, but it doesn't fade. They both have midrange distance potential too.

I tried out the Proxy and it didn't really stick. No idea why. It just didn't blow me away. I haven't tried the Envy.

I don't know if I can talk to you anymore. :| The Proxy's the only new disc I've been able to bag. Everything else is from 2008 or older.

I don't know if I can talk to you anymore. :| The Proxy's the only new disc I've been able to bag. Everything else is from 2008 or older.

I have no idea why I didn't care for it. I tried out against the Daredevil Bighorn and Yikun Wings. I ended up liking the Bighorn the most out of the three. It was a little shorter but not massively (within 10-15 ft). The Wings and Proxy had similar distance but I found the Wings to be easier for straight shots and hyzer shots and the Proxy held annys way way better. Not saying the Proxy was bad for those shots but I prefer the Wings. The Bighorn I liked for all three. I get 220 out of my Polecat though so I decided the extra 10ft-15ft of the Bighorn wasn't worth carrying that mold. But now I am giving up 20-30ft on a Wings or Proxy so maybe I should try it again. I have tried a decent amount of MVP since a coworker who I often go with throws a decent amount. None of it has blown me away. I mean none sucked (although I wasn't a huge fan of the Axis). The plastic is fairly nice and I think the feel the highest quality of any discs I have tried. I can tell MVP knows how to do high quality molding. The Volt was my favorite but it overlapped with my OLFs too much.

I would agree with tbird on either the Envy or Proxy. I've acquired several Proxies now and shelved Pures. Still shallow, but definitely more in your hand than a Zone.

Latest posts