• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

93EXCivic's 2017 bag(s)

30ec48fcd4d1478e7170f0f58bc62b2a.jpg

Big stack of mids to try tomorrow. Star Mako, Yikun Dragon Line Wings, Alias, Pinnacle Gauge, Moose, Caribou, Z Buzzz, Aurora MS. Taking those plus a Polecat, Zone, Pig and 1.1 MOLF to play some wooded courses tomorrow morning. See what shakes out in the mids and Pig vs Zone. Probably going to pick my favorite 3 or 4 mids and use them a bunch over the next week or two to try to get that sorted.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

Just give me your CS Gazelles already.
I just remembered I emailed the Pro shop not to long ago and asked if there was going to be another run of CS Champ Gazelles. They said one was coming soon (as well as another run of Pros). I should reemail and see where that is cause I love Champ Gazelles.

Played a couple rounds this morning and threw multiple tee shots with the mids. Right now I am leaning towards a combo of the Alias and Caribou. But I am going to continue testing them as well as the Moose and Aurora MS.

Also the Pig isn't for me.

How does that Aurora MS throw? I've been interested in trying that mold for a while now especially since the OLF is such a great disc i'd like to try more Millennium. Sorry for the bunk recommendation on the Pig, they're definitely not for everyone. Nothing wrong with carrying 3 putter molds when one borders on midrange distance like the Zone...Then again i keep looking for an excuse to drop down to 2 putter molds but never actually do it.

How does that Aurora MS throw? I've been interested in trying that mold for a while now especially since the OLF is such a great disc i'd like to try more Millennium. Sorry for the bunk recommendation on the Pig, they're definitely not for everyone. Nothing wrong with carrying 3 putter molds when one borders on midrange distance like the Zone...Then again i keep looking for an excuse to drop down to 2 putter molds but never actually do it.
The Aurora MS reminds me of a Mako but maybe a little bit more turn and fade. Very straight overall though. As far as the Pig, that is why it is nice there are so many discs on the market so work for some people some don't. The Pig had a nice flight just the grip wasn't comfortable for me.

I'd like to get down to 2 molds but it isn't the end of the world if I don't. I like the Scale and I like the Zone. Just figure with so many discs on the market there is a good chance there is one for me to do that.

The Aurora MS reminds me of a Mako but maybe a little bit more turn and fade. Very straight overall though. As far as the Pig, that is why it is nice there are so many discs on the market so work for some people some don't. The Pig had a nice flight just the grip wasn't comfortable for me.

I'd like to get down to 2 molds but it isn't the end of the world if I don't. I like the Scale and I like the Zone. Just figure with so many discs on the market there is a good chance there is one for me to do that.

I hear you... i keep thinking i'm gonna pull the Magic out of my bag but never do since I'm quite fond of it. Your mid experiment was of particular interest to me since i've been looking at the Buzzz, QMS, and Alias as potential midrange to add. Would be nice to hear how these three compare to one another. If you don't want the Pig anymore shoot me a PM

I hear you... i keep thinking i'm gonna pull the Magic out of my bag but never do since I'm quite fond of it. Your mid experiment was of particular interest to me since i've been looking at the Buzzz, QMS, and Alias as potential midrange to add. Would be nice to hear how these three compare to one another. If you don't want the Pig anymore shoot me a PM

The Buzzz had great HSS with a little more fade then the other two. I haven't tried a Q MS but my M MS had more turn the Buzzz or Alias and more fade then the Alias. The Alias is dead straight. I seemed to get the slightly more distance consistently out of Alias then the other two. The Aurora MS and Alias both held lines really nicely. I didn't do much with Buzzz in terms of this. I accidentally forgot it on a hole and realized later and had to go back and get it.

The 1.8 QMS has a microbead and is probably more stable than a Buzzz. The 1.9's don't have the microbead and are understable from the start. If you are looking to cycle, the 1.8's are the way to go.

My bag

Putters:
172g F2 DX Polecat- main putter
150g DX Polecat- touch overhands, straddle putts, short backhand rollers
172g GStar Polecat- main approach disc
174g Neutron Envy- hyzer putts, headwind putts, straight flying "mid"
170g Pro D Zone- overstable driving/ approach putter. Beat in a decent amount but still plenty of fade. This is more of a mid then a putter to me.
174g Pro D Zone- fresh

Mids:
176g Caribou- straight to understable mid.

Fairways:
175g CS Champ Gazelle- overstable forehand workhorse fairway
171g Glow Champ Gazelle- overstable workhorse backhand driver
172g GStar Gazelle- straight to flippy fairway

Control Drivers:
175g QOLF 1.4- fresh fairly overstable control driver
170g SOLF 1.1- beat to straight backhand and hyzer flip FH

Utility:
175 g Armorflex Raptor- overstable headwind disc/ spike hyzer disc
175g Stego- 90% for forehand rollers. Occasionally for when I need all the fade.
171g DX Gazelle- very beat in. Backhand rollers. Sky high turnovers.

So after a bunch of trying out different mids, I have ended up bagging the Envy. It is slightly more overstable then what I was looking for. That kind of worked out because it can do what I had been using the Scale for (headwind putts mostly) but I was getting about the same distance out the Envy as I was with the Alias (which ended up being the second choice). I am going to roll with that for a while and see how I like it as it beats in. I imagine either a beat in Envy or Zone may end up taking the Caribou's spot but we will see.

Ice Bowl this weekend.

Putters:
172g F2 DX Polecat- main putter
150g DX Polecat- touch overhands, straddle putts, short backhand rollers
175g Fossil Scale- overstable putter. Headwind putts, hyzer putts, short overstable approaches
170g Pro D Zone- overstable driving/ approach putter. Beat in a decent amount but still plenty of fade. This is more of a mid then a putter to me.
175g Sparkle FLX Z Zone- fresh

Mids:
175g Proton Alias- straight mid

Fairways:

Control Drivers:

Utility:
175g Stego- 90% for forehand rollers. Occasionally for when I need all the fade.

The Scale just keeps coming back. I am going to spend more time with the Envy but right now I am just not used to it enough to use it in a tournament. The Alias goes in instead of the Caribou.

Putters:
172g F2 DX Polecat- backup Polecat
150g DX Polecat- main putter and touch overhands
175g Fossil Scale- overstable putter. Headwind putts, hyzer putts, short overstable approaches

Mids:
170g Pro D Zone- overstable driving/ approach putter. Beat in a decent amount but still plenty of fade.
178g Z Comet- straight mid

Fairways:

Control Drivers:

Utility:

So I wasn't completely happy with the Alias in my main mid spot. So I bought some more slow mids/ fast putters to try out.

I have been trying out the Aurora MS (again), Discraft Hawk, Z Comet, Alias, RPM Ruru and Coyote. I liked the stability of Coyote but it is OOP and really nothing special enough to spend time chasing them down. The Hawk is a decent straight flyer and it would hold any line I put it on but it is OOP (at least I think) and only available in Pro D. The Ruru was fairly deep for a speed 3 putter but it could get fairly good distance. I wasn't a fan of the Strata plastic and it was a little more understable then I was expecting.

But really this whole mid search seems to have been kind of stupid because I should have just gone with the mid that is so often recommended, the Comet. I will probably end up bagging an X and Z. The X for more understable shots and the Z for straight shots. I mean anything the Alias did the Comet can just as well or better. It holds a hyzer better (IMO), it was way better glide and it can power down better then the Alias. I had only ever really thrown the X Comet so I guess I assumed it was more understable then what I wanted but the Z Comet is just prefect.

Next up is trying out the Slammer when that comes out to see if it can knock the Zone and Scale out of the bag. I have felt one and it feels like it would be comfortable to putt with but I need to see if I can get Zone distance out of it and how it beats in.

Last edited:
You bag is lot like a buddy of mines. He is a 75% fh thrower, that is very solid,and 25% bh that is getting clean. If this is sort of game you have, you might like the verdict for you fh mid. Not as much hss as the zone, but has a fh friendly rim and get the extra distance. It also rolls well, faster than the stego will.

You bag is lot like a buddy of mines. He is a 75% fh thrower, that is very solid,and 25% bh that is getting clean. If this is sort of game you have, you might like the verdict for you fh mid. Not as much hss as the zone, but has a fh friendly rim and get the extra distance. It also rolls well, faster than the stego will.

For off the tee drives, I throw which depending on wind and hole position. On the coarse I play the most, I'd say I am 60% bh and 40% fh drives. Upshots I usually throw backhand unless there is something preventing me from throwing backhand.

Putters:
175g Champion Polecat- more stable Polecat (trying out)
175g Fossil Fuel Scale- overstable putter. Headwind putts, hyzer putts, short overstable approaches

Mids:
175g X Comet- a little worn in. Understable mid

Fairways:

Control Drivers:
148g Zero-G Quasar- FH bomber (trying out)

Utility:
175g Ogopogo- hit and stick version of above (slightly less overstable, trying out)

Putters:
175g Fossil Fuel Scale- overstable putter. Headwind putts, hyzer putts, short overstable approaches

Mids:

Fairways:

Control Drivers:
175 g Armorflex Raptor- worn in. OS Forehand driver. Wind fighter BH and Spike hyzer disc.
160 g Buffalo- worn in. OS Backhand driver
162g Z Heat- main "distance driver"
164g X Heat- worn in. Turnover driver

Utility:
175g Ogopogo- hit and stick version of above (slightly less overstable, trying out)
171g DX Gazelle- very beat in. Backhand rollers. Sky high turnovers

So a few fairly big changes to my bag. I had lost one of my favorite OLFs (a beat in 1.1) and I started to realize that cycling OLFs wasn't working for me. They get to this awkward point in wear where I don't really use them. I also had thrown a worn in Armorflex Raptor back to back with a fairly fresh 1.4 QOLF. And realized that the Raptor flew basically the same but it fought headwinds better then the QOLF. To add to that I got an Ogopogo and a Buffalo which are the same mold as the Raptor. The Ogopogo is a super soft driver which hits and sticks like no driver I have ever seen so it has worked its way into my bag for utility work. The Buffalo is in Daredevil's awesome Grip plastic and is beating in beautifully to be my backhand OS control driver. Since I had lost my most beat in OLF, I grabbed a Z Heat off the rack. I had dropped the Heat for the sake of cycling OLFs. I realized this was a stupid decision. The Heat just hangs in the air like no other driver I have seen and gives me great distance and control. So the OLF is out (which makes a little sad because it is a great disc) and the Daredevil OS mold and Heat are taking its place. I also gave up on Champ Polecat and Quasar. The Champ Polecat I don't think is as bad as people make it out to be but I just don't need it. The Zero G Quasar is beautiful on the forehand for a little bit but it beats in so quickly and I don't really need to be throwing a speed 13 disc. Unless I find something crazy with my bag I think the only thing that may change in my bag is the mids spot. I want to get to cycling mids and go down to one mold there. So I am going to try out the Roc (again) as well as RDG's upcoming Croc but probably not for a month or two.

Putters:
150g PFN DX Polecat- main putter
150g DX Polecat- approach putter
172g GStar Polecat- driving Polecat
172g Omega Big Bead AP- overstable putter. Headwind putts, hyzer putts, overstable driving putter

Mids:
175g Sparkle FLX Z Zone- For doing Zone stuff

Fairways:
171g Glow Champ Gazelle- overstable backhand driver
172g GStar Gazelle- straight to flippy fairway (Most used Gazelle)
171g DX Gazelle- very beat in. Backhand rollers. Sky high turnovers. Touchy shots

Control Drivers:
175 g Armorflex Raptor- worn in. OS Forehand driver. Wind fighter BH and Spike hyzer disc.

Utility:
175g ArmorFlex Raptor- fresh. Firebird-like work

Couple more changes to the bag. Dropped the Scale for the Omega Big Bead. I didn't need the full overstablity of the Scale. The Omega is working really nicely as my overstable putter. I dropped the Ogopogo. It is a neat disc but I don't really need it.

Putters:
150g PFN DX Polecat- main putter
172g GStar Polecat- driving Polecat
172g Omega Big Bead Supersoft- overstable putter. Headwind putts, hyzer putts, overstable driving putter

Mids:
171g Gila- OS mid (trying out)
177g Walrus- straight mid, workhorse (trying out)
176g Caribou- Understable mid

Fairways:
172g GStar Gazelle- straight to flippy fairway (Most used Gazelle)
171g DX Gazelle- very beat in. Backhand rollers. Sky high turnovers. Touchy shots

Control Drivers:

Utility:
175g Amber Raptor- fresh. Firebird-like work
175g Stego- Forehand rollers and super OS approach work

Ok so my mids are going through changes again. I was testing out OS mids and I had got the Gila and Walrus. Well the Walrus doesn't fly anywhere as OS as the numbers say. Daredevil says 4 5 0 3. I'd say 4 4 0 1 which is close to a Z Comet for me. I am trying it out for a while instead of the Z Comet. The Walrus is soo effortless to throw. I mean like a Comet it still needs good form but for some reason it just feels easy to throw. My one worry with it is because of the soft plastic I am getting more grip locks. I am going to see how it wears and if the grip locking issue goes away long term. I also switched back to the Caribou instead of the X Comet. The Caribou does give up a little bit of glide compared to the X Comet so in an open field I'd say the Caribou is usually 10-15ft shorter but I rarely through this disc for distance. The main reason I am going back to the Caribou is touch forehands. I can throw this disc on shorter straight forehand shots consistently and it is way more comfortable to forehand then the Comet. Also while I like Discraft X plastic, I prefer the Daredevil Grip plastic. The heavy Caribous have about the same stiffness but are grippy in any condition. So whether or not the Walrus stays instead of the Z Comet, I am sticking with the Caribou. I am trying out a no Zone bag. I have realized I can't drop the Stego because of how well I can throw forehand rollers with it and 90% of the work that the Zone does is OS approach work that the Stego can do. Also since adding the Omega Big bead, I am rarely driving with it.

I am trying out the Gila as well. It is absolutely beautiful flying disc. Comfortable to forehand, nice and glidely but reliably OS. But my gut is telling me that it won't make the bag. It is slightly shorter then the Champ Gazelle which maybe less glidely and slightly more OS. So really for it to make any sense I'd need to replace the Gazelle but I have a crap ton of Gazelles and I don't think it works quite as well on low lines as the Gazelle which is a big part of the reason I bag Gazelles.

I'm in the fence with the gila as well.

I like it and it's bagged right now...and i feel guilty for not liking it as much as i feel i should, having been done by one of our own here on dgcr....but it's kind of a tweener. I was super excited at first, but I really wanted a true mid to complement my gazelles. This seems like it would have to replace them, especially if it were beaten in baseline plastic for a cycle.

Plus my champ gazelles are definitely beefier.

I still feel like i need to keep throwing it though. We will see what happens.

Latest posts