• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

A change of heart about disc golf courses

I vote for both, but...
There's a course by me that is laid out like a question mark. Hole 1's tee at the bottom, hole 9's basket at the top. You're finishing at the point farthest away from the parking lot. It gives some exposure and some people play it. That's just OK.
There's another one that was put in by a Boy Scout doing their Eagle Project (noble!). But he'd never even played and didn't ask for help. Nine holes, barely playable. Last time I was out there, out of 9 baskets, 2 were left. After that experience, you can't really blame the park district for bailing on the idea of disc golf altogether.
I'm trying my best with my local district. I just wish planners would go look at successful courses in the area before planning their own.

What do you think? Better design or more courses? I choose design!

What do I think? I think you sound like one of the whiny bitches that always seem to be clogging up the course.

You want to quit the game completely because of a couple of bad courses? Did you not check other reviews of the course before you went out there, to maybe see what to expect? Nope, instead you went out and probably threw a little tantrum at each teepad before throwing out.

Do yourself and the whole game of disc a favor and trade in your bag of discs. You can probably get a good size box of tampons in exchange.

I am in the process of designing a course for the school I work at, and sometimes you have to make concessions from your original design to make it work within everyone else's scope of expectations. You work with what you have.

That being said, if my overall design was dangerous or just flat out sucked, I would want some constructive criticism on how to improve it, rather than just being put on blast on the Interwebz.

Just wrote a long reply, and then lost it because I didn't check the little "remember me" box at login. Grrrrr. Anyway, here is the short version.

I would rather have no course than an unsafe course. It only takes one incident where a non-disc-golfing user of the park gets beaned to give the whole sport a bad rap in the area and make it harder to develop new ones.

If safety is not the overriding factor, and it's just a matter of a boring course vs no course, then I'm torn. A lot would depend on the context in the regional disc golf scene. If there are no other courses in the area, then I would be more inclined to pick a boring course. However, if there are other options in the area, I might rather see *some* of that money spent on putting a practice basket or two in multiple smaller parks and /or schools, and use it as an opportunity to introduce kids to the sport. Generate a bigger demand for disc golf that way, and now you can bring more support to get a permanent course in a better location.

I never want to quit playing, but I feel the urge to relocate the baskets in an illegal fashion (which I have never done and do not condone)

Silver creek in jabrazzos neck of the woods is one.

I'll never quit playing if I haven't quit by this age but I do get frustrated by seeing/playing a suck arse course because it's a waste of money, baskets, real estate and hard work.

More courses are good if and only if they're well designed . As Scarp said: "Its not like they're mutually exclusive or something." They don't all need to be 5 star or championship caliber courses; a well designed course can be a great beginner/intermediate course as well.

IMO, a poorly designed course can hurt the sport (specifically a design that puts non-throwers at risk), and possibly prevent other cousres (that might have been good) from happening. Brys Park comes to mind; hole 7 runs parrallel to I-94, and in the opposing direction to boot. If someone RHBH's a drive that gets understable, it's headed directly into oncoming traffic moving at interstate speeds. Any incidents like that, and I can see how city councils will put the kaibash on any new course development.

I know we're all enthusiastic, passionate, insert adjective of your choice, about the game, but perhaps it would be best for the sport if every new course had at lease one experienced course designer involved. We really need those people to share their knowledge with people who want to get involved with course design, almost like an apprentice ship, but not that formal.

Last edited:
I have no issue with pitch n putts going in the ground, especially in areas without a lot of beginner friendly courses for new players to learn the sport. I do hate seeing new courses with major safety issues, that's going to lead to conflicts with other park users and end up getting courses pulled, likely resulting in parks departments being uninterested in disc golf going forward.

I look at it a couple different ways. There is one course near me that is terrible, the longest hole being about 100 feet max and it is wide open! I invited a friend to play there who had never played, and he was having a blast!! Birdies on a lot of the holes and he was hooked because of that short course. A couple weekends ago, I took him out to one of the hardest courses in our state(probably the hardest), and he was in awe. He was really hooked then because he was set on reaching that 400 footer and really believed disc golf was a real sport. It was because of that small course he was hooked, and when he saw the long course, he knew he had better practice to play well there.

On the other hand, for me, I am a little more advanced than 100 foot holes in the wide open. Not being arrogant, but it is the truth. I don't particularly like the short courses, but they have their place. When I travel, or even go out to play at a new local course, I try to look it up on here or ask my DG friends how it is. That way I always know what's in store for me.

Just my $.02

No matter how bad a course is... it is still baskets in the ground and you can always make a safari layout out of it for some good putting, midrange, and upshot practice.

I agree, its still a basket outside that's free to play on. You can't beat it! I'm always down to grab 15 min of putting practice on any dinky course around town. Plus it gives you a chance to show the casual player there is a "next level" of DG out there (not that I am that "next level" haha)

Also, as a Jr High youth group leader, I took some 7th graders out to a small (max distance on any hole is 200'), slightly crammed 9 hole course and they loved it! I loved it too because I could keep track of all of them from anywhere in the park and still get some sweet putting in.

I'd say Timber Linn in Albany OR is one that should come out. 9 holes in a small park 75 yds off the freeway, with picnicker, dog walker and playground conflict, and heavy industrial traffic on access. 1 basket missing, 1 damaged, and slightly menacing homeless/tweakers camped out in the woods by #8. Not family-friendly and thus rarely played, it certainly isn't responsible for increasing interest in disc golf, nor in bringing the 4-star Bryants Park course into existence in Albany.
And yet even something as flaccid as New Plymouth in ID has putting and driving available in a place where there might be no exposure at all.

What do you think? Better design or more courses? I choose design!

A couple of years ago I took a newb to two courses that I've never seen before. (We were traveling together on business.) The first was pretty boring and said newb wondered why I played. The second was an interesting challenge. He then changed his mind about the game. Definitely quality over quantity.

meh, more course = good. if it's short work your putters and mids.

i've never seen a course with baskets 5' from windows. sounds like fun.

Move to Charlotte

If you are tired of sub par courses, move to Charlotte. Quit complaining, pack a uhaul and bring it. We are hosting the largest event in the sports history for a reason. Worlds 2012.

I'll be the guy who catches the movie during a Tuesday afternoon matinee all alone in an empty theater in some quiet city outside of Sacramento.

I vote for both, but...
There's a course by me that is laid out like a question mark. Hole 1's tee at the bottom, hole 9's basket at the top. You're finishing at the point farthest away from the parking lot. It gives some exposure and some people play it. That's just OK.
There's another one that was put in by a Boy Scout doing their Eagle Project (noble!). But he'd never even played and didn't ask for help. Nine holes, barely playable. Last time I was out there, out of 9 baskets, 2 were left. After that experience, you can't really blame the park district for bailing on the idea of disc golf altogether.
I'm trying my best with my local district. I just wish planners would go look at successful courses in the area before planning their own.

maybe they should look farther away than just their area? and we wouldn't all have to drive so far anymore.