• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

a course needs our help!

taxman

Par Member
Hi Everyone,

It's been a while since I've posted on the sight. But I thought I would come back and share this information in hopes that it will better Disc Golf as a whole.

In 2000 Mt. McSauba in Charlevoix Michigan had a disc golf course put in place. However in 2003 they removed the disc golf course and baskets due to poor behavior of the players. (I'm not sure what that means exactly that's all that the article in the paper said). However this did not deter local players from designing their own make-shift object oriented course. This new course unfortunately is directly along hiking trails at Mt. McSauba and recently a woman was hit with a disc in the head, very near her eye. The city has met about the matter and decided instead of banning disc golf at Mt. McSauba they will instead re-install a disc golf course and give it one summer as a test run to see how things go. For its test run it will not have baskets, but will have object posts. If it fairs well this summer I feel they would put more effort into improving the course.

I'm hoping that any northern Michigan Disc Golf players can make an attempt this summer to visit Mt. McSauba, play the course, and let the city know about your experience. Hopefully this will show the City of Charlevoix that Disc Golf is more than just the negative influence they experienced before and eventually bring one more disc golf course to northern Michigan.

Location of the course

http://maps.google.com/maps?client=...85.245344&sspn=0.000000,0.000000&iwloc=A&sa=X

city of charlevoix website with contact information should you want it.

http://www.cityofcharlevoix.org/

Ike Boss, Parks and Recreation Director
Charlevoix City Hall
210 State Street
Charlevoix, MI 49720.

may be contacted at (231) 547-3253
[email protected]

good luck! on a side note is there a better email address for a director than iboss@.... hahaha, this couldn't be more fitting

wow, "bad behavior"?

Yeah. They have a very negative impression of Disc Golf in Charlevoix.

When pedestrian complaints surfaced, they made the mistake of completely removing a poorly designed course, rather than simply redesigning it. People got used to discing there, so when it was removed, kids ended up taking practice baskets up and continuing play.

This had the doubly bad effect of wild, risky unregulated course designs, compounded with the certain flair of illegality that it takes to set up an unauthorized course. Trouble followed.

I spoke with the new parks director, and she is excited about the new course, which should be significantly longer than the original. I cannot wait.

If you do visit, please remember that this is a sensitive issue and do your part, and put your best foot forward.

RE bad view of DG:It's really funny, because Charlevoix is literally surrounded by towns which have long standing courses without incident. "Never mind these other courses, it must be the Disc Golf itself that is causing this problem, not our execution!"

:rolleyes:

Latest posts