• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

A few n00b forehand questions

Carl311

Hello all. I am pretty new to disc golf but I am totally addicted. Playing every morning for the past 3 weeks!

Anyways, I am working on my forehand shots because backhand is killing my shoulder (old injury). I have searched through old forum posts and have gotten a lot of good insights. I am left with just a few lingering questions:

1. Would it be better for me to work on developing great form and technique with mids or drivers? All I own right now are a semi worn 150 Dragon, beat 169 Leopard, newish unknown Champ Beast, and a new 174 Soft Magnet. I am open to picking up a few midrange disks if necessary. Ive heard Buzzz, Comet, Skeeter, and Cro are good.

2. My Leopard wont go. So I can throw my Beast and Dragon reasonably straight and far (wayyyy farther than I ever could throwing BH!) but I when I throw my Leopard it just flies up with horrible wobbles and comes down and rolls a few feet. This happened on every single throw on a 20 hole course, throwing both the Beast and Leopard consecutively. Its so weird! What gives?

3. I cant get my Soft Magnet to fly well either. Its a lame duck with anymore than a subtle flick of the wrist on it. Is this normal?

4. What disk weights are best for a beginning FH player with an especially weak and noodley arm? Ive heard that sidearm throwers automatically go for 175ish weights on everything...

5. And finally, why are overstable disks like Firebird, Stgarfire, Orc, Flick, Banshee, and Gator recommended for forehand throws?

Thanks for any advice you all could give!

I can't say I could answer all your questions, as I'm also a beginner, but to tell you the truth most don't side arm a putter. Personally I would stick with around 150's or 160's if your arm isn't too strong, they may get affect by the wind. I also hear the lower the weight the more they are affected by how well you throw them(ex:throw it with a bit of an angle it may take it harder than a higher weight). Whether that's true or not I'm not sure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4spUSMi6xm0&feature=channel_page
That video may help on putting, it sure helped me a lot.

Last edited:
Well, it sounds like you're getting plenty of practice so good on you for that!

As far as the Leopard goes, I'm stumped. My champ leopard is my go to forehand approach disc. It is pinpoint accurate and dead straight with a standing flick. I use it for S-curve shots with a run up off the tee.

I agree with MooTaters on the forehand putter dilemma. Doesn't work for me either.

Weights are a preference thing. Haven't heard the max weight thing you mentioned. I have the best success off the tee with drivers in the 167-170 range (Star Wraith, Champ Valk, Champ Sidewinder).

Also, no clue on the overstable driver preference. I bought a Flick and hated it forehand.

First off, what is your grip?

175 is not the answer, I can throw 350-400 and i still like about 172 best. The reason people go for overstable first is because they do not turn over. forehand shots are a LOT easier to turn over a disc, mainly due to bad form. Distance is easily acquired with a forehand, it's the finesse and aim that takes practice. This is probably why your leopard is bad, it's not the easiest disc to forehand in the first place, Treat it like your magnet and just a quick flick. The magnet itself is of course a putter, so you do NOT want to put a lot of power on it. Especially since it's an understable putter. It takes a lot of finesse and control to forehand a putter correctly.

I would suggest a 165-170 Teebird. It is a great FH disc and very versatile. As has been said it is very easy to apply too much OAT or try to over muscle a FH throw. Just keep practicing and focusing on your form, keep it nice and smooth and once you have a clean release you can start working on adding a little more snap to it.

Welcome to the game. "Noobs" usually finf FH easier to learn because you can get more snap with less efforet and thus more distance. It also helps that when you throw you are looking at your target... so you're more accurate too. Now to answer your questions:

1. Develop your skilll with drivers. Putters and mids are almost impossible to throw greatly with a FH.
2. Your leopard is probably beaten to **** and DX plastic. DX plastic gets beaten super quick and then it loses it flicht characteristics.
3. Putters aren't great sidearm discs... and soft ones are worse. Especially off the tee. OK for short layups, however, you probably want to throw BH for short layups for accuracy purposes. (unless the shot requires a right turn... then throw a driver softer).
4. I throw a 162 Beast FH extremely well. I also throw a 167 beast well and a 171 Wraith. The weight doesn't matter so much. What matters more in DG is knowing how your plastic flies when you throw it certain ways (speed, release angle, BH, FH, OH, etc...).
5. The only of those I would reccomend is the Orc (possibly the flick but I dont throw disccraft). A firebird will have too much turn for a noob. The starfire will want to turn over (meaning fly the wrong way... left on a RHFH throw... which could be good for some shots). The gator and Banshee are old discs that have kinda worked their way out of a lot of bags... there are better discs out there.

The most important thing I think to FH's is to keep your elbow tight to your side, lead with your forearm and push with your middle finger. Use a simple approach, plant your left foot and give a slight pop of the hips as you snap the disc.
Hope this helps...
DSCJNKY

i don't know about anybody else but when i forehand my buzzz it fades left instead of turning over so i stick to fore handing my drivers.

the wobble is off axis torque with is undesireable. Practice with your putter throwing 50% power. Wait until you can get 9 out of 10 throws were it doesn't wobble. Once you can do this move up to your mid range and throw with a little more power until you can get up to your beast.

1. Develop your skilll with drivers. Putters and mids are almost impossible to throw greatly with a FH.
If you plan on throwing primairly forehand you'll be at a huge disadvantage if you can't throw putters and mids forehand. Those will be your most consistand and easy to control discs.

IMO, if you're just learning forehand as another shot and throw primarily backhand it's not as big of a deal.

IMO, your Beast would be the best to use for now. It's stable, but not too stable, but it will turn over if your form is off. I think the Leopard would be a little more advanced for a FH shot due to its' understability.

Work on getting your Beast to go low and flat at first before practicing any sort of hyzers or anhyzers. With a good throw, your Beast should have a slight S curve flight path. If the Beast is working well for you, try moving up to a Wraith.

I prefer a more stable disc for FH midrange shots, like a Drone, but the Cro or Wasp would work also. If you're trying to FH with something like a putter, you really need to put at least a little hyzer on it to keep it from flipping.

Hey, thanks for the great replies so far! You all have great advice.

Just to clarify, I still putt and approach BH, so Im not totally dependent on the FH. Im just wanting to use a FH shot for my drives until my BH is reliable and consistent enough to use on the course (practicing both shots every day).

Yes, DSCJNKY, my leopard is extremely beat and old DX plastic, so that may have something to do with it.

Once in a while I get a very good release on the Beast and it files who Daddy-O described. It usually always flies well, but sometimes it releases with a bit of flutter or wobble, which I want to work out.

aarikc17, your advice about starting with my putter and getting it perfect and then moving up to mids, then driver sounds good to me. If I can work out the wobble on the shorter discs by the time I get to my driver my form should be pretty good, right?

Also, I was thinking of picking up a Buzzz, Roc, Cro, Shark or Skeeter as a midrange disc. What are everyones' thoughts on these discs for my situation?

As far as throwing a putter sidearm, I was hoping to be able to use it off the tee for a few of the really short holes on my course. Looks like Ill stick to BH with the putter on those holes.

Thanks again for all your advice, I cant wait to go practice!

IMO, your Beast would be the best to use for now. It's stable, but not too stable, but it will turn over if your form is off. I think the Leopard would be a little more advanced for a FH shot due to its' understability.

Work on getting your Beast to go low and flat at first before practicing any sort of hyzers or anhyzers. With a good throw, your Beast should have a slight S curve flight path. If the Beast is working well for you, try moving up to a Wraith.

I prefer a more stable disc for FH midrange shots, like a Drone, but the Cro or Wasp would work also. If you're trying to FH with something like a putter, you really need to put at least a little hyzer on it to keep it from flipping.

Not really :|

Try a Gator for midrange forearm. I'm not familiar with the Cro or most Discraft midranges, but the Roc, Skeeter, Shark and Buzzz I have to release with more anyhzer than I'm comfortable with. Also, my DX Eagle works very well for shorter drives that have to turn right (RHFH).

As for mids that can be thrown FH... I think a champion Spider should work. At least for me... they used to come off my hand correct. I can't FH a roc, it just doesn't feel right when I grip it (same for the Buzz... since that's disc crafts version of the roc). The Shark I never liked so idk how it flies FH and the skeeter (I believe) is just a gimmick disc to get us to buy more plastic.

The cro is similar to the spider though... so it should work too.
I would also like to second ejvogie in that the Eagle works great for short shots that require a turn.
DSCJNKY

Being FH dominant, I answer a few of the questions.

A disc actually curves opposite for a LH or RH and same goes for FH and BH That's why disc selection is crucial.

I noticed that I generate alot more power and torque on my FH then on a BH also, that also plays a key in how a disc flys.

As for the Dragon, I still use it (till I lost it the other day, do to tripping on the tee) and with stunning results. it does not take alot of power to throw it a great distance.

I'd suggest this video from Discraft on FH throwing, has helped me out a great deal.....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOECjLjhiTI

when I started I only used side arm, but now I am a side arm first then backhand. I throw lots of gazelle's, orks, sidewinders when I started and have now learned to throw anything. Then you can work your way up the speed table till you can handle the higher speed discs. Start with the fairway drivers that are the most over stable you can find.

I now throw a wasp and a zone putter side arm and they are great for shorter shots. I would stay around 170 gram for your weight till you get your control down. Make sure that you keep your elbo in and arm horizontal to the ground.

Hippy007

I throw 90% RHFH throughout my whole game. I even throw short approach shots and longer putts FH. I can also throw in the distance range of 300-350ft.

To answer some of your questions:

1.) You asked about developing form FH with mids or drivers. For me, they are two completely different shots. For mids I stay planted and think about throwing with more finess and less arm or most discs will turnover. As for drives I take a couple steps as a sort of run-up. Really its about what works for you, but I suggest trying the mentality of throwing with finesse for mids and even putters. As for buying a mid I live by my Innova Star Gator and throw it on any hole 250ft and under. I also have a Discraft Drone that I can throw pretty well. Both are overstable I like them because I can put some arm into them without turning it over.

2.) I think DSCJNKY covered this one quite well.

3.) I have never thrown a soft magnet, but when you are first starting to throw your putters forehand, try to use as little arm as possible and think more about flicking it. Also, don't put too much behind it, putters are not meant to be thrown really hard, they will often glide a long way on a little power. For my FH putters I use an Innova R-Pro Dart and a Gateway (SS) wizard.

4.) Disc weight is again all about preference, you say you have a noodle arm so a good place to start would be in the high 160's like mos people have said. If those fade hard right out of your hand you can try lighter if they turn over you can try heavier. Its all about experiementing and finding the best for you.

5.) Careful with terminology. The Orc and Starfire are actually closer to being considered stable discs rather then overstable. Where the Firebird, Flick, and Gator are overstable. The reason overstable discs are recommended for FH is because they are harder to turn over. There is some physics behind it that I am not able to explain. As far as mentality for me, overstable discs I can worry about putting power behind them rather then worrying so much about form.

If I had to suggest a driver I would say a Starfire or SL.
As for mid a gator is definitely worth a try if thats too overstable I would try a Roc or Buzzz. Good luck and have fun!